What knife(knives) do you use bushcrafting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Oooh here we go! This thread is gonna be a big one!

For me....

A Mora Companion HD (Carbon blade) or my SWC Woodlore. Deciding on which is simply a matter of which one I grab first off the shelf. But mostly, I carry the Woodie on my hip.

In my pocket is a Victorinox Rangergrip 79. This I use for food prep and as a back up knife.

I've carried this set up for over ten years now. Hasn't changed and I doubt it will.

Reactions: Plainsman

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Agreed, this will be a big thread....

My collection is sizable and I rotate a lot of them, plus it depends on where I am and whom I am with.

At the moment I reach for three fallkniven TK2, knife research Rasul, and the benchmade pukko 200

The TK2 is brilliant in the kitchen...

IMG20240813155427.jpg

When I am in a woodland with the family, I have a whistle, small fire steel and a opinel no 7, around the neck.

On my next bushcraft course I will likely bring my mark hill Woodlore, or the bark river aurora 2. With a Mora Companion HD as back up.

In all of these cases, I will also have a multi tool, either a swiss tool or charge/wave/surge/mut.

Apart from the moras and multi tools, I try not to double up on blades in the collection, but the benchmade pukko 200 I have 2 of, as it is brilliant.....and my most carried blade, apart from a multi tool.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I suspect like many here, I have a large choice of blades. The ones that I carry all the time when out, are my Condor Woodlore, Mora Heavy Duty Companion (Ray Mears 30th Anniversary Edition) and my self modded SAK. These do all the tasks I need.
IMG_1290.JPG

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
This is interesting.

This is NOT a challenge or a judgement.

What do you use these knives for?

I’m not hijacking the thread but could you put functions/uses against each tool?

Edited to punctuate.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
When able to get and about i use a Mora Classic No.1 or an original Mora 511 (with the guard cut off) or a Hultafors HVK (with the guard cut off), a Victorinox Farmer or Hiker is usual pocket carry, but i do swap out for the TBS Boar or Wildcat folder when the whim takes me.

More often than not of late my day to day users are a Victorinox Hiker and a Mora Classic, i have some nice high end stuff, but they rarely get used these days as the Mora, Hults & Victorinox do everything i need them to.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I like my custom Griptilian folder or my Ritter Grip. I always have a SAK.
Fixed, I like 3.75 - 5" blades, flat ground, convex edge. Prefer stock under 1/8th but have a couple of Lion Steels that are thicker. Nothing does everything equally well. Spoon carving benefits from a pointier blade than cutting onions, and feather sticks like a thicker edge than slicing bread and carrots. As I do more wood work than veg cutting, I tend to like thicker edges with more defined bevels, even on otherwise flat or flat/convex grinds. Like fatter handles.

Spyderco Bushcraft/Proficient style. I have made several variants in addition to the manufactured ones.
Benchmade Puukko 200
Lionsteel M4 or B41

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I currently use the same Enzo trapper I’ve had for about 14 years. Before that was a Bernie Garland (be interested to see if there’s still any about as I sold mine). I’m waiting on some custom work to come back at the moment though. To me that trapper will take some beating!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Gerber 600 multi tool, SAK soldier (re-ground serrated edge to fine), depending on what I’m doing Rory Connor custom or Mike Morris camp knife. Always a mora clipper in the rucksack!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
This is interesting.

This is NOT a challenge or a judgement.

What do you use these knives for?

I’m not hijacking the thread but could you put functions/uses against each tool?

Edited to punctuate.
The SAK for all it's obvious uses and food prep, I also ground the bottle opener/screwdriver into a small chisel gouge.
The Mora, game prep, wood carving, some food prep, feather sticks and fire starting.
The Condor for light chopping, battoning and general camp use.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The most knife use I have had has been when visiting Sweden and Norway, hiking or canoeing. Knives were used to:
  • clean fish,
  • prep food,
  • cut rope and cord,
  • carve cooking utensils,
  • carve craft projects in the evening,
  • split wood,
  • carve feather sticks for fire lighting,
  • limb poles for shelters and cooking tripods.
A couple of folk tried carving a paddle.

Most camping trips see a blade put to less use, but still needed for food prep, package opening, fire prep, simple utility wood cutting of tent pegs, pot holders and so on.

I run the following with a little variety between them as the whim takes me

SAK Farmer x as edc literally the most useful combo of tools and the awl is located in a sensible place for us

Old school British army pocket knife (aka pocket anchor)

Field and steel Garcia nice as neck knife but robust to do all I want

Rob Evans bushtool bit meatier like it for winter as handle is better with gloves on

Mora classic No 1- got some history with this, took it on my second round of the hunter gatherer challenge and it performed exceptionally

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Depends on circumstance and mood. When I am just out on an ordinary country hike an SAK will suffice. When there is fire making or woodwork in the offing, my traditional 6 inch Bowie. For chopping and limbing my Bulgarian pattern lightweight bearded axe, or my 10 inch heavy duty Bowie, or my Condor Loch Nessmuk. For vegetable prep I have retired my Opinel no8 in favour of a Tod Cutler medieval peasants eating knife, if it was good enough for a medieval peasant it is more than good enough for me. Condor Loch Nessmuk is an excellent chopper, but the big Bowie is more versatile, it also has the heft for chopping but the grind is also good for finer work, so the two Bowies form a sort of Sheffield Leuku, Puuko combination. With me it is not just utility but aesthetics, if I have made the sheaths, and the handles and the brass hand guards myself, so much the better.

That California buckeye burl is gorgeous.

Thanks, @Chris! The California Buckeye is a tree endemic to my area of California. Its wood can be used for hand drills and its beautiful "horse chestnuts" can be used as an emergency food -- after a lot of work to leach the saponins and other terrible chemicals.

I worked with the knife maker to select the handle material from a local species. My only regret is that I requested two fiber liners in the handle (white and red). They make the handle a bit thicker than I wanted. But it's still a fun knife to use!

If only I had the knife skills to match the fancy handle... :)

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE