What knife and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I'll always have on me a Leatherman Charge Ti, though the new Leatherman Charge TTi has caught my eye (all the features of the Ti and XTi merged with an S30V main blade).

I'll also often have with me a larger blade.

If I'm going to be outdoors in a rural environment, I'll have either my Kabar Mule folder or one of my 4" to 5" sheath knives and probably my Norlund 'Voyageur' Hudson Bay style hatchet (14oz head, 3" bit).

If I'm remote and out for a while, I'll usually have the sheath knife and the hatchet, with the folder and a Rapala filet knife as a backup in my pack or bags. I'll often also have my puukko style neck knife handy.

If I'm in a less rural environment, like in the city, I'll often have my 3-3/4" Kabar Mule lockblade in addition to the Leatherman. But, if I just have the Leatherman, that will do.

Sometimes, depending, out in some places I'll pack my khukuri, bowie, or machete, but nowadays the Norlund often fills that role.

JDilling

Jan 9, 2007
Connecticut, USA
My EDC Knives:
  • Leatherman C301 linerlock, carried via pocket clip. 2.8" partially serrated blade.
  • Victorinox Spartan
  • Buck 373 Stockman (I have an early 440C knife)
Given that I basically don't use the corkscrew, I have considered going with a Tinker instead of my trusty Spartan, but I can't bring myself to make the switch.

If I'm taking a multitool
I will go for my Leatherman PST. If I'm looking for small or need scissors, then a Micra.

For the woods, I will usually add a fixed blade as well. Mora's are good. I have others too, all but one are rather affordable production knives.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks all!

Some food for thought there!

It is my intention to write a review (For this site) of a few different knives (I cant help feeling there is more to life then the "Woodlore" style) with the inclusion of some of your comments

If anyone would like anything specific testing (i.e. the way the knife is used) let me know

If anyone thinks this will be a waste of time also let me know!

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Victorinox swiss army knife. I don't remember the model. Bought it in Kassel Germany while on vacation. I have used it to fix just about everything. Computers, welding machines, Peterbuilt 18-wheeler, hotel faucets, toys, you get the idea.

Jan 30, 2006
South Coast
Until today I carried a Spyderench, but after 5 years, several re-grinds, the pocket clip broke, so now looking for a suitable pocket tool to replace it....

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
michiel said:
I always carry a SAK (huntsman). It's perfect for my everyday cutting tasks. I don't need supersteels for a knife that will be used for a day. If it gets a lot of use at 1 day it can be sharpened. It doesn't have to be sharp for a week.
When I'm out I also carry a fixed knife (BRKT snowy river) and a cheap mora. An axe does come in handy most of the time.

All too true! It's relieving to know that at least one other person on the planet thinks the same way I do!

Of course......it would be fun to take my Mora knife to work. :eek:

Adam

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
For everyday use, I carry a Gerber Pro-Scout Multi-tool.

For the bush;

Either a Cold Steel SRK, or a Mora. I like em all...

Only things I would change are:

-Gerber, I'd make the blade un-serrated

-The SRK, maybe a bit thinner to help with carving

The Mora, the handle I would prefer a bit more secure (fixed that with epoxy)

Besides those... can't find any good reasons to change em :D

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
EDC is a Leatherman Charge XTi which is all I need to carry on my person and usually gets used at least half a dozen times a day.....the 154CM blade suits my purposes fine for an EDC and is scarily sharp out of thebox.
As for knives.....I use a Mad Dog ATAK and a SOG SEAL pup at the moment but have a Gene Ingram Drop Point #30 on order....can't wait to get it

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just thought, never included what I use!

For out rough use where the knife is likely to be abused (i.e. work and teaching scouts....No a knife will not cut that fire brick type of thing) I use this

000_0289.jpg

First knife I ever made and still going strong!

The handle does not go far enough down the tang and it a little on the square side, but it retains a good edge and can be sharpened fast!

On my own I like to use this!

PBallout.jpg

it is relativly new to me but so far performing well (It has gone back to Paul Baker for a regrind as the edge has become more concave then I would like!)

I have also re-designed a sheath for it!

So as yet can not give it a fair review

I also use a GB SFA but these allong with some others will be reviewed in a few weeks!

leon-1

I have a number of knives that I really like.

For a folder I can honestly say there are only a couple that I can think of using, firstly is a leatherman wave, I have had it ten years and unlike the Gerber's and the SOG's it's still in one piece. It can open bottles, tins, it can saw , file, pull and uncle Tom Cobley and all, it's just a very handy and versatile tool.

Secondly is the opinel, I had carried one for years before I joined up, they are cheap, but they are also one of the easiest knives I know of to sharpen and maintain, they can be used with a firesteel very effectivley and they weigh next to nothing, all in all a very good affordable pocket knife.

For fixed blades I am a little spoilt for choice.

The grohmann boat knife, one fo the best slicers on the market, they are light in weight, strong and are knife that you can use all day long.

The F1 blank, if you make your own handle they are one fo the best knives that you will ever get the chance of using, they can be sharpened to a very high standard, they cast a shower of sparks from a firesteel that can rarely be challenged and they are at terminal risk of being beyond bombproof.

Gene Ingram #30, this is a little knife with so much to give, I have one in D2 with African Blackwood scales, deceptively pretty, exceptionally sharp and robust, not quite as abusable as the F1, but with this you won't need to abuse it.

Gene Ingram #6, I know, that's two of his in here and it ain't fair, but I really don't care. This one was made to my requirements and Gene delivered, Linen Micarta scales, slightly longer blade (it gives me more leverage when splitting), made in S30V, straight cut file work to a length of my spec, this is a superb knife that can outclass most.

The Frosts Clipper, with it's horrible rubbery handle and naff plastic sheath. I really like it, it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is, it's a user that cut's, has a reasonable and grippy handle, holds a reasonable edge and nobody is going to be worried about abusing it as they are pretty much disposable. One thing though, the more you use one the more you get to like it, it's a simple little knife that takes all the abuse that you can throw at it and smiles sweetly back at you at the end of a day when you are maintaining the edge. It deserves a better sheath and as such mine sits in a better sheath. A little work on the spine and it casts a good shower of sparks from a firesteel as well.

So what have we got?

A custom built grohmann boat knife that would cost more than £90, a custom built Fallkniven F1 that would cost £150+ to buy, two custom Gene ingam Knives at £150 a piece or more and finally a frosts clipper that cost about £6 and I made a reasonable sheath for. Says a lot really.

There are others if people are interested in making the knife themselves, using cheap scandi blades like the Lauri PT and PTX, but as far as I am concerned if you go into the "woods" with any of the above fixed you will be well equipped to deal with most things

I carry a SAK everywhere apart from airports and the pub. It does everything I need for day to day stuff and it can open tins of beans, bottles of beer and wine bottles which is always a bonus. I used to carry a leatherman wave everywhere but the legality of locking blades for EDC put me off that. if I am going somewhere to do something that legally justifies a fixed blade or locking blade I take my leatherman and a home made fixed blade knife. For kayaking I have a bearclaw copy for a safety knife and camping usually means my opinel number 8 is packed

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a Leatherman pst with me all the time, a SAK huntsman most of the time, and my JP woody some of the time, if the activity warrents it, I always find something to attack with my leatherman, whether it's the inside of the car if something feels loose or something around the house. I used to take my Helle brakar everywhere when camping but i found the blade tip a little to bullish for carving, so now it tends to be the knife i take if it's very wet weather.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE