What Kit to Buy from Australia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
So – I appear to be in Melbourne, Australia for a few weeks courtesy of work. I’ve noted that there are a fair few Army Surplus, Military Equipment, and Outdoor shops fairly close to where I am staying/working. Just wondering what recommendations people would have for any aussie equipment to pick up (presumably cheaper than it can be obtained in/shipped to the UK).

Hootchie is the obvious one, but to be honest, I don’t need any more tarps!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd be tempted to try Aussie rations just out of curiosity. Maybe an Aussie saddle? Drover's coat? Akubra hat?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
hmm - good suggestions. I've always fancied the drovers coat style, although most that I see are worn by commuters getting off trains in the middle of central London, so they do look a little out of place! Hats an option...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I brought my Dutch Oven back as hand luggage from Sovereign Hill Gold mine, Ballarat, just outside Melbourne.

I also bought a Drovers style waxed coat - which might cope well enough with short-term sub-tropical down-pours, but it does eventually leak through when subjected to prolonged Welsh lazy rain - the type of rain that can't be bothered to land on a coat and go around your body - instead it drives right through you!

ATB

Ogri the trog

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
The things i regretted not bring back while i was there earlier in the year include a swag, cooking equipment (camp ovens and the like) a Perentie 110.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Don't tempt me on the landrover! Might push me into excess baggage... Cooking kit sounds an option actually. Right - i'm going to have a look tomorrow! I'm not convinced about the swag concept in the british climate - anyone used one with success?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Don't tempt me on the landrover! Might push me into excess baggage... Cooking kit sounds an option actually. Right - i'm going to have a look tomorrow! I'm not convinced about the swag concept in the british climate - anyone used one with success?

Excess baggage maybe, but just think what kit you could stuff into a 20' ISO!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One of these :D

Of course you'll need the 110 to tow it :rolleyes: :)

[video=youtube;SpKGm3TC5jc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpKGm3TC5jc&t=23s[/video]

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Wow that is awesome - I'm going to start saving as that'll be my mid-life crisis buy :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Owt big and heavy post home by surface, The waits not so bad if you do it when you first get there I'm told.

They do really tough canvas covers for the cooking stuff , apart from the postage they were very reasonable when I got mine.

ATB

Tom

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Well from a personal point of view one thing I would bring back would be a set of Aussie swing handle style mess tins. If for no other reason than to add to my collection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE