What kind of GPS should I buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
innocent bystander said:
I have two Garmin's in a bid to feed my hunger for gadgets :rolleyes:

1st one is the venerable Garmin GPS12XL. It's about as simple as it can be, and totally reliable. No software that need's updating, and is accurate. I checked it against trig points, and everyone i tried was bang on the nose. I like it, even after 10 years or whatever...

2nd is the Garmin NavTalk, which is a GSM phone with GPS built in and mapping. This one i use in the car, so i dont look like I'm lost when in a strange town. With added bonus of being able to talk on it. As well as sending your location by sms text....And finding the nearest pub/ garage / restaurant / station / airport etc. etc.....

I'd back this up, I also have a 12XL, pretty bombproof, has to be issued to Squaddies. :p

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
There are a variety of etrex models, some have altimeter (think its barometric), digital compass and waas/egnos (extra accuracy when the system is fully rolled out). I have an etrex venture and just keep it in my rucksack, proved useful when out walking on the devon coast fog rolled in and couldnt see 20ft. Got the etrex out put the location of the pub in and safely walked back using the map and gps.

You might want to talk to people who use them in cold conditions, low temperatures can severly affect battery performance, also the lcd screen could blank out if it gets really cold (happens to pdas, found that out doing winter astronomy).

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
BorderReiver said:
I must have a duff one :( .It's fine in the open but loses signal most times in dense woodland.
It was one of the first ones out,so it has probably improved.
I notice that on line updates stop at 2002 and so I have the latest software.
Good piece of kit though :)

BorderReiver, I dont have a PC cable for mine and didn't even know the software could be updated, would you be good enough to tell me more? :eek:

Mine must be from about 2001 and I can honestly say the only place that I've noticed it lose its signal is the Clyde Tunnel!

cheers

mojo

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
I use the Etrex, keep the GPS as basic as you can, that way the batteries last longer, the screen is less likely to pack up, and at those temperatures you need to keep it warm, or consider running it on remote batteries strapped against your body for heat. At those temps, the screen and batteries will both suffer. Do you need better than 10m accuracy.

Joules

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
mojofilter said:
BorderReiver, I dont have a PC cable for mine and didn't even know the software could be updated, would you be good enough to tell me more? :eek:

Mine must be from about 2001 and I can honestly say the only place that I've noticed it lose its signal is the Clyde Tunnel!

cheers

mojo

http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp This page for the update.

The cable I got from a company I can't remember the name of :rolleyes:

IIRC it was something like link or lynx or somat similar.It is a UK company.

Garmin do sell cables if you can't find anywhere cheaper.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
FOUND IT. :D http://www.lynks.co.uk/works.html

Mojo,this where I got my etrex data cable from,many years ago,they were the cheapest then and the cable was good quality.

Just had a thought (rare these days :rolleyes: ) you will probably only use it once as they won't bother to update the basic etrex again.

PM me your addy and I'll bung the cable in the post.You can update and return it. :)

BTW you will need a PC with a serial port.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Abbe Osram said:
Batterie is very important as I am out in around minus 20 to minus 35 celsius for the entire wintertime which is here about 7 month...

cheers
Abbe

Abbe

Whichever GPS you choose, given the operating temperatures you mention, I believe that you are going to need to use Lithium Ion cells. Some makers of this type of battery claim that their batteries work to -30°C or better. Alkaline, NiMh and NiCd batteries will have all given up performing well at these temperatures. [Note that they need to be warmer to re-charge.]

Some battery info can be found here.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the info guys!
I am really happy about it.

Joules: I dont think I have to be closer then 10 meters, I am not going into the moutains and surly will find my traps in that area.

thanks again for all the help and the info about the batteries too.

cheers
Abbe

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
I've found it very reliable, although it has limitations in dense bush, loosing signal strength due to the canopy. It is just a tool, and as with any tool as long as you work within it's limitations you'll be fine.

I would recommend an Etrex to anyone.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
I hate these threads!!

As a result of this one I have just bought myself an Etrex (basic) and will be playing with it by next weekend hopefully.

Richard

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
Hi Abbe,

I bought a GPS last year and being very non-technical found out the hard way how it all works.

My comments as a compete beginner are.

1. Buy a cheap paperback book on using a GPS first. I got mine from Amazon for about £5.00 after reading their customer reviews. I found the manufacturer’s booklet that came with the unit confusing.

2. How are you going to use it? The unit alone will give you a position that you can refer to on a map and also do things like take you to points you type in - or take you back to your start. But you need to connect it to a computer to get the best results. Software will load in all your ref points in - which otherwise it takes forever putting in by hand.

3. Be aware that a lot of the cheaper GPS units have a serial cable connection. Check that your computer has a serial connection. Most modern laptops only have USB. Otherwise look for a GPS unit with a USB connection.

4. Shop around for a connecting cable. They are expensive if you buy the manufactures ones but the far-east one I got from eBay has worked well.

5. Mapping software. I ended up with Memory-Map after spending a long time scanning and calibrating paper maps. Although expensive the mapping software works like a dream. Fascinating to download where you went and see even a few steps off the path recorded.

I am not an expert, so I would recommend getting comfortable with a book that explains it all well for the beginner. After that, you will be really glad you bough it.
I got a Garmin eTrex by the way and am very pleased with it - and the Memory-Map software.

Hope this helps.

Peewit.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Peewit said:
Hi Abbe,

I bought a GPS last year and being very non-technical found out the hard way how it all works.

My comments as a compete beginner are.

1. Buy a cheap paperback book on using a GPS first. I got mine from Amazon for about £5.00 after reading their customer reviews. I found the manufacturer’s booklet that came with the unit confusing.

2. How are you going to use it? The unit alone will give you a position that you can refer to on a map and also do things like take you to points you type in - or take you back to your start. But you need to connect it to a computer to get the best results. Software will load in all your ref points in - which otherwise it takes forever putting in by hand.

3. Be aware that a lot of the cheaper GPS units have a serial cable connection. Check that your computer has a serial connection. Most modern laptops only have USB. Otherwise look for a GPS unit with a USB connection.

4. Shop around for a connecting cable. They are expensive if you buy the manufactures ones but the far-east one I got from eBay has worked well.

5. Mapping software. I ended up with Memory-Map after spending a long time scanning and calibrating paper maps. Although expensive the mapping software works like a dream. Fascinating to download where you went and see even a few steps off the path recorded.

I am not an expert, so I would recommend getting comfortable with a book that explains it all well for the beginner. After that, you will be really glad you bough it.
I got a Garmin eTrex by the way and am very pleased with it - and the Memory-Map software.

Hope this helps.

Peewit.

Hi mate,
funny that you just wrote as I was on the net shopping, I was going for that one:

garmin

you must have another one as this one is without mapping?? :confused:
which one do you have? I thought that a mapping feature would eat up too much power,

PS Are you happy with your book? What is the title?

thanks

cheers
Abbe

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
For finding traps and such, it's also worth considering a model with a buit in compass so target bearings can be shown when you're not moving. The compass does drain power quicker, but can normally be turned off when it's not required.

I have a garmin GPS60MAP CS which would be overkill for your stated needs. When I was looking, I remember thinking the Geko was a bit poor on battery life, but one of the etrex models should be in the right ball-park.

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
Hi Abbe,

You are right the mapping is not on the eTrex - but you don’t get ‘proper’ maps even on the expensive ones - just a GPS type ‘base map’ with limited features. My detailed mapping (Memory-Map) is on my PC.

This is what I do…... Open up Memory Map and work out my route, sticking electronic ‘pins’ in the way-points. I then print the area out on an A4 sheet (or sheets) and seal up in waterproof A4 plastic pockets. Having done that - I connect the serial cable and download the way- points to the GPS. I can follow the route from both GPS and map and then download back onto the computer map the actual path you took. I also take the full size map along as well for reference.

The book is up on Amazon at the moment -

GPS: The Easy Way
David Anthony Brawn
Paperback 80 pages (March 14, 2003)
Publisher: Discovery Walking Guides Ltd
Language: English
ISBN: 1899554467
Price: £4.99

It is well written and easy to understand - but has a bias toward the type of software the authour sells his own walking guides in. I was slightly put off Memory Map by him before I downloaded a test version from their www site. Doing that sold me on it – but there are other makes! I guess you would need to look at mapping software suitable for your own location if you were using that method. My humble view as a beginner is that it takes a lot of time to scan your own maps – so ready made maps are a good idea. Saving time that could be spent outside!!!

I have the basic (bright yellow!) eTrex - the one in your link I think. Takes 2AA batteries and has a serial connection. No mapping on the screen - just data and the line of direction, moving compass etc .

Hope the above helps.

Best wishes,

Peewit.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Great Peewit,
I got the picture now!!!
I know they sell such maps here too, its about 160 euro for the entire swedish Lappland. I was wondering how one is planing its own tours now I got it thanks to you. :You_Rock_

Ok, what kind of cable I have to buy too that I am able to feed the data points into my gps from the maps. I really hope that this works with the swedish maps too as it does for you. Could you give me some info on the cable too?

thanks mate
yours
Abbe

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
Hi Abbe,

There are three cables for the eTrex. - 1). DATA only cable, 2) a car cigarette lighter POWER only cable - and 3) a combo DATA/POWER cable which has three plugs/sockets.

I bought the combo, but I always take spare batteries as they are so small, so I have never plugged it into the car!! (An important point, take extra batteries – just in case.).

As cables can be confusing I will try and describe what you need. One end of the PC DATA cable has the standard serial connection - with the two thumb screws. At the other end (about 2 metres long cable) there is a little oblong brick shaped plug. This has four little strip connectors gold plated. Like a little row of teeth! That little ‘denture’ slides into the top of the eTrex. It must be that shape – or it wont fit!

The best way to find cables is to look on eBay under ‘Garmin eTrex cables’. They are not too expensive (half what I paid last year) so select ‘cheapest first’. You should see Garmin eTrex cables listed. If you open a few up you should get more idea if your GPS is listed. They may be comparable to Garmin cable #010-10206-00, but I got that number from a trader and not out of the Garmin manual – so cant vouch for the accuracy.

If you need any more help – just ask.

By the way I liked your www site. Especially the spiritual section. It was all very good - but I appreciated the spiritual exercise you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Peewit.

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
Hi Abbe,

Cable to connect eTrex to PC serial port.

Best wishes,

Peewit.

Attachments

• eTrex data cable.JPG
    eTrex data cable.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 104

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Peewit said:
Hi Abbe,

Cable to connect eTrex to PC serial port.

Best wishes,

Peewit.

Peewit, I got the etrex and I like it very much, now I would like to connect it to the pc and see if I can load into and out of the etrex my waypoints and routes.
I bought the same cable as you showed on the picture. As I am not a PC wizzard I got a bit confused where to put the cable in the PC, I believe I figured out that I have a USB connection. Do I need to buy an adapter to the eTrex PC cable. Or is it not possible to connet the eTrex to another port? I found a place where to put the cable in but I am afraid that it is the wrong place and I mess up something.

I just checked about the ports, I have: Eight USB 2.0 and One FireWire (On Sound Card) Ports. Hmm, can I connect it with this cable or do I need an adapter?
eTrexdatacable.jpg

I am unsure if I can put the cable into this port, it would fit but I am afraid to burn my new eTrex, if that is possible.

computer_small.jpg

I hope some young pc wizzard can help out the old guy here :eek:

Thanks for all help I can get
cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE