What kind of Christmas tree do you have?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Whether you can judge a persons preferences by the choice of Christmas tree, I don't know, but what do you have?

Artificial tree, usable year after year but not exactly natural.

Real Fir, grown for the Christmas market in a plantation, but so much dead wood and pine needles after the event.

Living Fir, but where do you plant it after the season, and is it welcome as a foreign species?

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
We have an 8' 'Artificial tree, usable year after year but not exactly natural'.Had it a few years now and still going strong:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We don't have one since we got our youngest dog... she see's it as a personal challenge to either eat all the decorations, light cables or the branches themselves :rolleyes:

But when we did have a tree it was always a real tree grown in a plantation.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
We gave up christmas trees too since Usko. We'd only be bugging ourselves with that. We have a christmas village on a high table. I find that more fun personally.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Here's mine

Christmas_tree_air_freshener_Wallpaper_wlwxd.jpeg

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
that's more than I got Imagedude - I mean what's the point when I'm the only one to see it - I might as well go out in the woods and camp near some trees which is what I've done for the last decade or so.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Dug out my own today with the intention of keeping it for all years to come. It was very hard work, and my watching wife advised me to cut it but fortunately I didn't have my Bahco with me, so I persevered and got it out roots and all together with the satisfaction of a job well done. It left a big hole, which my wife pointed out would have come in handy to put me in if I'd succumbed to the heart attack she was expecting me to have. As the spade was borrowed from the farmer and I didn't want to damage it or leave bloodstains on it, refrained from clouting her with it and putting her in the hole. Merry Christmas.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'll get mine up Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll probably buy one like I have for the last few years (a real Douglas Fir from a tree farm) but I might get a permit from the Air Force Base to cut a Sand Pine from the reservation like I used to. Kinda want to take my grandson out on a Christmas tree cutting exped.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We used to get live trees and plant them in the garden - but they all used to die.
I never liked the idea of cut commercial trees - why kill a living thing just for a few days of "entertainment"? (I do not like cut flowers for the same reason).
So we now have a reusable, plastic, artificial tree which should last me out!
I find that "plastic" and "artificial" are words that also go well with "The Spirit of (modern day)Xmas", ideal for a mid winter celebration that starts in August and ends in misery for so many!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My wife an artificial one for 10 odd years it has been retired now and bought a new artificial one complete with snow - I was amazed at how realistic some of them are these days [although of course you have to pay for that!]. When I was a kid we used to get real ones, the excitment of going to choose one then try to get it in the car and sitting amoungst spikey needles all the way home - brilliant.

Had a go at getting real ones and planting them in the garden - we've got three in various states of healthyness, but kinda given up on that now.

the new artifical one is only 4ft high - but it's not so much of a disaster when the cats bring it down, although they haven't been sitting in this one, I think it maybe the fake snow they don't like.

I thought I was the only odd person not liking to cut flowers for decorations [I'd rather go buy a plant that can live] - I've known my wife for over 10 years, been married for 5 and I've only bought flowers once for her. I have on the other hand bought plenty of plants and trees in my time - so maybe it would have been cheaper if I killed a few flowers.

Anyway - Merry Christmas.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The usual Norway spruce here............Normally we buy a container grown tree then plant it out out in the garden after the festivities but since we're running out of suitable sites to put them,this year it's a cut tree about one & a half meters high. Don't worry it won't be just thrown away or burnt after, we'll boil it up for soup :D
Not sure where I stand about the commercial growing of Xmas trees..........It allows folk to earn a little extra cash on some scrap land they may have which can't be a bad thing; it's also beneficial to local economies where they are grown on a larger scale & I suppose it may prevent some individuals from going out & helping themselves to a tree on someone elses property if they wern't readily available.

Last edited:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
we don't have a tree for the same reasons as mesquite, tho our little vandals are cats. We do tend to deck the halls (well, living room) with boughs of holly and ivy tho. One year I hope for some mistletoe from the orchard, but so far it has not been forthcoming.
We do have an xmas tree in the paddock that the previous owners must've planted, but it looks quite nice where it is, so will stay there.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
We don't do christmas but do do Sun-Return. We don't have a tree but cut bracnhes of holly, ivy and mistletoe from the garden and orchard to decorate the house. Come 12th Night we burn them in the woodburner as the final offering for the season.

So would you regard December 21 as the start point of the 12 day period?

Used to do real trees and there is one still alive in the garden ten years on but now, like John, we have an artificial one. I quite like it and with lights on in dim light it looks pretty good. I also like to bring in some cut holly from the garden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE