What just happened.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
10955307_910975488938597_3351106424513598316_n_zpsz8avnwe4.jpg

Where did summer go.:confused: Dont know about your location here in the UK but here in Lanarkshire it's been one of the wettest July's i can remember in a long time. Booooo. Rubbish.. :(

Rant over.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's only been one British summer in living memory when it didn't rain. 1976. Massive drought and everything died. This is normal. It is why our country is so beautifully green.

The only thing surprising about the British summer is that people who have lived here for years are still somehow astonished when it rains.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I don't mind the rain, but I would have thought it'd be a bit warmer, this morning it was around 12c, IIRC last year it was more around 20. But then you get folks moaning it's too hot :)

I remember a couple of years ago over winter there was a pretty cold snap getting down to -20! for about a week, the week after it was -10 and more people were commenting to me 'It's a bit nippy' the week after than the one before??? I'm guessing that when it was that cold people just stayed indoors and so didn't feel it...

Anyway what's the point in having weather if you can't moan about it.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Pretty much rained non stop for 4 days here. the other days of the month have been wet and dull. the last two night have seen a wee cold snap return. Sunny just now but Gritters have been out in Edinburgh...That's not normal.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I can only remember three days where the temp has been above 21c this year and as you can imagine they called it a heatwave, dismall rain all week and it is hovering around 16c

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't mind the rain, but I would have thought it'd be a bit warmer, this morning it was around 12c, IIRC last year it was more around 20. But then you get folks moaning it's too hot :).....

I can only remember three days where the temp has been above 21c this year and as you can imagine they called it a heatwave.....

LOL. Not even warm enough to be standard room temp (22.2c) Far and away cooler than "standard world temperature" outdoors (26.7c)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I live a little further down the valley from Stevie777 and it's so sploonging wet here that I have newts under every plant pot. The burn has burst it's banks so often that there's a mini loch formed and the ducks have taken up residence :rolleyes:
The Clyde is so high that the salmon don't need to either jump the weir or use the fish ladder, they're just swimming up and over.

I'm used to rain, but it'd be nice to have a little brightness in the middle of the year. This morning was the first Sunshine we've seen in ages. It's chilly too, we've broken out the woolly jumpers again, and I bought a new fine wool one on Monday for Son2 for work, 'cos he's freezing in Glasgow as well.
I live in what is usually the mildest bit of the valley, and if we're cold, then the upper areas must be perishing.

M

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shorts ?? shorts ?? I'm in heavy trousers, wool lined mocassins and a woolly jumper. Snow White's got nothing on me this year :rolleyes: even my freckles are fading.

M

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Shorts!!! I still haven't put away my winter 260gsm merino base layers, i was just talking to my USA relatives this morning and it is 97f there so i'm gonna have some fun trying to adjust to that in 3 weeks time, safe to say i won't be taking my winter merino with me

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Shorts ?? shorts ?? I'm in heavy trousers, wool lined mocassins and a woolly jumper. Snow White's got nothing on me this year :rolleyes: even my freckles are fading.

M

All part of the sins of being a West Coaster M! ;) It's been no bad here in the East, not too much rain or shine, though it did take a while to warm at first. I've been enjoying it personally.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've been trying in the late raspberries in a T shirt. Pleasant day, cool and overcast. A soft gentle shower just started. Lovely!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The cold we can dress for, but see all this rain ? honestly Colin, it's making it impossible to do anything outside. I've fences and sheds needing redd out and painted, and I can't get on at all. The tumble drier has been on virtually every day too…..and guess what ? it's raining again. Sunshine in tears :rolleyes:
There's the most drookit looking squirrel tieing itself in a granny knot, like some demented netsuke, on the bird feeder just now, and it's so wet that it's tail looks like a half bald bottle brush :)
I want big porches built at both back and front doors. I'm fed up with the muddy boots and sodden jackets.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE