What is your best bit of kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
What is your best bit of outdoor kit (or two or even three)? Not most used, not most expensive. One that you will really miss if it seize to exist. One you have transferred part of your soul in to.

For me it have to be my siltarp. I absolutely hate tents (sometimes the only option like on the camp site or in the high mountains), but tarp gives me space to live, not only sleep. Not to mention sleeping one night in a hammock, another in a tent like setup and another under the stars. And silnylon is the ultimate material for me, the way it stretches allows you to shape your shelter. I love it so much that I carry one with me in my bag (siltarp2 packs down to the size of a beer can).

This item gives me freedom to have a shelter everywhere I need one, during a barbecue, car break down in the middle of nowhere, sitting in the park with my girlfriend. It have been with me in a deep s..t like getting lost in the woods, to sitting half a night on a bench in the park with a girl both wrapped in my tarp.
And it so simple and elegant, and it allows me to always have my way when I camp with friends :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Any one of several brass Primus stoves that are a lot older than me and hopefully will still be used in another forty or fifty years by my grand children.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I can see you hiding in the garage priming your stoves and meditating the combustion :)
Reason for this topic is that I have been clearing out my gear and couldn't resist, actually had a few configurations with my tarp in the living room. Men have been sleeping with their fawourite swords, bows, saddles etc. I wonder what it look like nowadays.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Best or favourite?

My best lives within my noggin. My favourite, however, must be my exped downmat 9. It's like home from home for me. The comfiest I have ever been in the outdoors since I discovered the hammock.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
My Berghaus Vulcan. It's been with me on trips across much of Europe, kept me company on many a night train. It's become a good friend.

J

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
love them or loath them, mine is the Swedish army trangia. Had mine 15 years, used most weekends, I think it cost me £4. Bomb proof. All my rations fit inside, amazing design. will work as a hobo stove if you run out of meths. recently discovered the kuska that slots in the top (can't remember them being available when I bought mine), that's just made it even more useful. I have other stoves including a consumer trangia 27. for me they just do not compare.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My shoulder bag...

barbour_tarras.JPG

...it goes almost everywhere with me.

N

Nomad

100% cotton 5.11 Tactical long-sleeve shirts. Haven't worn anything else since I discovered them a year ago.

Thermal base layers: Helikon Level 2 for colder days, Aldi merino for not-so-cold-but-still-chilly.

SAK Champ (which replaced my retired SAK Champion that I used daily for over 30 years).

Best bit of kit?
the five pound cotton flat cap I bought from matalan.
from the moment I leave the house its on my head. It has served me really well through normal day wear camping trips where it has doubked as a lifting hot things off fire tinderholder and pocket junk container courses and all sorts.
smells of campfire now which is an added plus in my book

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
For me it has to be my mutt 'Oscar' whose common sense and curiosity manages to keep me simultaneously both in and out of trouble.
IMAG0109.jpg

Rescued from the local shelter in 2010, approx 7yo, Border terrier X Rottweiler

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Best bit of kit?
the five pound cotton flat cap I bought from matalan.
from the moment I leave the house its on my head. It has served me really well through normal day wear camping trips where it has doubked as a lifting hot things off fire tinderholder and pocket junk container courses and all sorts.
smells of campfire now which is an added plus in my book

+1 to this, it has been a while since I wore mine but a much overlooked bit of headgear. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE