What is/was the best waterproof jacket you have ever owned/own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
My oilskin Drover's coat,................thanks to which I really love the rain now :D
Not for the faint hearted though, 3Kg dry & makes you look an extra from 'the man from Snowy River ' :rolleyes:.....you get used to people smirking behind your back though..:nana:

I second that, my first choice every time for wet weather and as goatboy says its amazing what you can hide underneath it! ;)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Arctis Dancam coat with matching trousers bought from Endicotts for £85 for the 2

I don't have a favourite- I've several got windproof smocks, ex mil gortex(s) for the price (I find the jackets go at the jointed seams) and my dancam. I like my dancam but it's not perfect. I'm just back from a 1.5 hr walk on the downs in the driving rain and I'm damp, the DWR has expired but it wasn't the drop liner failing- in fact it did a good job, it's just I find the damned thing so warm. It's just too warm for it at 12c. If ever a jacket needed pit zips this is it! DWR now renewed so looking forward to a new testing.

The wife has a drover's coat that I got her and she loves it for keeping her dry but she's very concious of what others think when she's wearing it!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
My Snowsled Classic smock; great for the woods and low level stuff had it 7 years and still going strong. Not found my perfect hill jacket yet...

aad3309c-d5c8-4b41-b9ce-9a7324aefcea_zpsb03e20cf.jpg

Copper Head,

I'm thinking about buying a Classic Smock in the future, according to their sizing guide I could take either a small or med so i was wondering how yours came up size wise? I read somewhere their over-sized is that correct? Cheers

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah they are on the big side, I can get mine on with several layers underneath and there's still room to spare.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
For the hills, no matter what the season, I rely on my Klattermusen Allgron. In the woods, it's either my single Ventile jacket or its slightly heavier Ventile cousin. The first is a Bison number, the second a half-custom Empire Canvas Works jacket.

A ventile custom empire canvas works jacket? Sounds nice.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ok, assembled experts...given the above. This is what I want (or as near to it as possible)

Waterproof (sat all day in rain fishing)
Wired hood.
Breathable
Long (to cover my bum)
Subdued. (Prefer not cam, but not too fussed)
Good pockets suitable for lazy/cold hands
Light as possible
Hardwearing
Quick drying (ie not ventile)
Around £100 if possible

The Dutch army ones with Helly Hansen fleece look good? Ridgeline, monsoon or grizzly maybe?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ok, assembled experts...given the above. This is what I want (or as near to it as possible)

Waterproof (sat all day in rain fishing)
Wired hood.
Breathable
Long (to cover my bum)
Subdued. (Prefer not cam, but not too fussed)
Good pockets suitable for lazy/cold hands
Light as possible
Hardwearing
Quick drying (ie not ventile)
Around £100 if possible

The Dutch army ones with Helly Hansen fleece look good? Ridgeline, monsoon or grizzly maybe?

Thanks

Mike

Dont forget rivers west......ticks all the boxes.....just fifteen squid over budget .....

If Woden Wills It , then it will be so

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
So far, my favourite "Waterproof" has been my Paramo Quito multi activity jacket.

Longer arms and back for my gorilla gait, exceptional ventilation and the ability to use it as a base/mid/top layer makes it a winner for me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Thanks

Mike

I'd be tempted to look at the new Monsoon, it's got the added hand warmer pockets which the original Tahr etc didn't have. The only complaint I've heard about them is they get warm if you're very active, so for fishing it could be just the ticket. I have the Grizzly which is great for cold days but I've not tested it's waterproofness to any extent, a single layer waterproof fleece just doesn't compute for me.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Horses for courses - but a 66˚ North oilskin jacket will keep out a storm force 10, spindrift n all. Good in subzero with a boiler suit underneath:

a10130-001.jpg

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Horses for courses - but a 66˚ North oilskin jacket will keep out a storm force 10, spindrift n all. Good in subzero with a boiler suit underneath:

a10130-001.jpg

Thats the stuff Ronnie. A little up market for my tastes though. The cheap set from NE Farmers is good enough in my opinion, plus they come in green. When I was at the fishing I used guy cotton smock with bib and brace, that was as close we got to designer duds in my day, Yon were designed for the catwalk rather than the pier ;)

I understand people consider pvc oil skins as sweaty stiff inferior etc preferring modern synthetics, but for HAVING TO BE (rather than wanting to be) out side in the wind and rain (sleet/snow), all day and perhaps all night, and perhaps all the next day too, plastic/pvc etc oil skins are unbeatable especially the more up market brands such as those shown above. If one doesn't think so, then one hasn't been there. Nothing else cuts it.

For me, the best "water proof" jacket jacket I've owned was the Hoggs farmer jacket, 100% water proof pvc outer with a full nylon liner.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
The best waterproof jacket that I've ever owned and used is a US Army jacket. It's not perfect, however, but it is the best as far as being watherproof goes. It's heavy and has awful pockets that close with velcro. The hood is nice and my son even found me a fur ruff that snaps onto the hood opening. I only wear it when it's freezing rain. Otherwise I prefer a poncho and (don't tell!) an umbrella for ordinary rain. I have others.

My most worn jacket is a Filson Field Jacket, which is waxed/oiled cotton like a Barbour. I wear it all winter long. It's best for what I call "raw weather," like they have in San Francisco in July. But otherwise, I wear an old Fjällräven jacket that I've had for 20 years. Still fits, too (mostly).

Aug 29, 2013
surrey
Berghaus Benvane, I brought it last Christmas and i can't get over how good it is compared to anything i have previously owned!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Thats the stuff Ronnie. A little up market for my tastes though. The cheap set from NE Farmers is good enough in my opinion, plus they come in green. When I was at the fishing I used guy cotton smock with bib and brace, that was as close we got to designer duds in my day, Yon were designed for the catwalk rather than the pier ;)

I understand people consider pvc oil skins as sweaty stiff inferior etc preferring modern synthetics, but for HAVING TO BE (rather than wanting to be) out side in the wind and rain (sleet/snow), all day and perhaps all night, and perhaps all the next day too, plastic/pvc etc oil skins are unbeatable especially the more up market brands such as those shown above. If one doesn't think so, then one hasn't been there. Nothing else cuts it.

For me, the best "water proof" jacket jacket I've owned was the Hoggs farmer jacket, 100% water proof pvc outer with a full nylon liner.

Only 50 quid for the jacket so not that posh! Standard issue for West coast fisherman from Cape Wrath to Mull. Just don't go anywhere near the 66˚ North designer clothes - £50 for a t-shirt. it's no wonder the Icelandic economy went bust paying those prices!

http://www.66north.com/

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Only 50 quid for the jacket so not that posh! Standard issue for West coast fisherman from Cape Wrath to Mull. Just don't go anywhere near the 66˚ North designer clothes - £50 for a t-shirt. it's no wonder the Icelandic economy went bust paying those prices!

http://www.66north.com/

Someone needs to tell the kyle men :D

I'm over on lewis next week so I'll take a look when I visit the coop, and i'll check out the cut

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Mine was a NomadUK smock, a bit like ventile. It came with a full zip around realtree face veil.
Unfortunatley I have outgrown it around the middle, it is fully waterproof and exceptionally lightweight but not the most breathable.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Come to think of it I always bought mine in Mallaig

I was in Mallaig a couple of times last year, but the daughter is old enough to take the ferry herself these days so only made it as far as Armadale to drop her off, pick her up. Johnston's is a good chandler but Marine Stores in kyle is much less a chandler these days, most of the local guys here buy from the Stornoway Coop via a local rep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE