What is/was the best waterproof jacket you have ever owned/own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jones71

Dec 16, 2011
wales
Reason I ask is over the years have bought countless different Goretex jackets(all used,mostly ex Army) to replace my trusty Berghaus Driaqua Jacket I bought new 12-13 years ago.

The Berghaus while not Goretex I would say is the best jacket I have ever owned and none of the other jackets come close to it,NEVER let me down whatever the weather,comfortable,dont sweat in it,super practical with loads of pockets and a very practical ,comfortable hood(unlike some). Must have only ever washed it twice and olny recently re proofed it. Only reason I hav ebought various other Goretex jackets is unfortunately the Berghaus is starting to get a bit tatty in places but will continue to wear it until it falls apart-compare this to a North Face Hyvent jacket I was given as a present around 2 years ago and after less than 2 years of light wear is falling apart and heading for the bin!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Can I chose two? My all time fave is my current Paramo Pájaro jacket.
Mens-Pajaro-Jacket-Moss.jpg

I've had a lot of jackets over the years as I was in the outdoor trade and worked outdoors before that as a forester. Many of those jackets were supposedly "more technical" than the Pájaro but for all round use, comfort and moisture management they don't come close. Nikwax Analogy fabric so extremely breathable which I need and where GTX lets me down. Well vented with front shoulder vents which don't leak and the fact that the stud closure is behind the two way main zip allowing you to have it unzipped but closed allowing that air to circulate and keep me dry. Nice length with one handed draw cords. A total of five cavernous pockets swallow gear and don't collect rainwater. Big cuffs to allow the sleeves to be pushed up the again allowing you to adjust your internal climate. The fabric is as quiet as a mouse which I like and as I only use Nikwax techwash which has no UV brighteners in it the wildlife doesn't see me or hear me coming.

The hood is supposedly fantastic with a stiffened peak, draw cords and volume reducer to make it move with the head; but wearing a hood makes me feel paranoid so I've never worn it and cant really comment. (I wear a Tilley Hat usually) But it does fold neatly into a comfy collar.

My second choice if allowed is my Backhouse full length Stockman jacket.
backhouse-stockman-coat__68815.1308445367.1000.1200.jpg
It comes down to my ankles so with boots on I'm going to be a dry bunny, especially with a Tilley on top and a wool shirt underneath as wax/oiled finishes can be cold. Stud fastenings at the sleeves , good collar and a shoulder yolk to keep me dry. Two decent pockets (though they can get damp in a downpour) and an internal one for the wallet. Though the main thing bar being all over dry that I like about it is that it appeals to my inner kid and with it open and billowing in the wind I can pretend to be a plainsman coming down off of the range. :eek:

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Berghaus Extrem XCR goretex jacket bought in 1999 - I've had several Berghaus jackets but this was the best and I wish I'd bought 2 as this one is knackered now. Fantastic wired hood with volume adjustment and microfleece face guard, underarm pitzips, 4 big chest pockets and properly sized - I have a new Mera Peak which is the same size on paper but much narrower in the shoulder and chest and accordingly seldom worn. The next best replacement I have for it is the Keela Munro but I've only just opened the package on that and not worn it out yet ( initial thoughts are that it seems very short but otherwise good ). I also have a very good USMC ECWS Goretex jacket which is very good for size but falls down somewhat on the hood which really needs a wire , particularly as it is so large.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
lowe alpine triple point jacket. Waaaaay too warm for anything other than winter use, but really comes into it's own then. Bought it in about 2000 and has outlasted several Gore-Tex jackets.
Kind of agree with the stockman coat as well, I have a shop soiled barbour version, and for low level exertion stuff, it's fantastic. Great collar, and I match mine with either a broad brimmed hat or a sou'wester in really foul weather (yup, I look ... odd) it's bombproof.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Best waterproof I've ever used is probably my Rab Demand eVent smock, it wouldn't last two minutes as a bushcrafty jacket (in woods etc) but it's the best performing outer layer I've ever used. By that I mean it breathes better than any Goretex or other modern shell I've used, it's also the most waterproof outer I've used. I so wanted Paramo to work for me but it's useless as a waterproof in sustained downpours in my experience.
Only 302g and packs tiny which is just what I need for trips in the hills.

For bushcrafty trips I use my Ventile if it's coo enough, if it's warm and wet then I tend to suffer a bit unless I'm base camping. I've just bought a smock made from Epic cotton which is similar to Ventile but which will hopefully breathe and pack a little better.

Last edited:

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
A Jack Wolfskin I bought in Germany about eight years ago. Brilliant jacket. It's just in the washer getting the Nikwax treatment as I type this.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Paramo Pajaro or Keela Munro would be my two choices. own a cheaper version in paramo with less pockets sadly so no experience of the pararo itself but like it just cant afford it. The Munro I do own and like a lot.

I would be careful with eVent products really ment for fast and light activities (friend worked for Montane) and therefore are too breathable, which can be bad in bad weather

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
cioch glamaig, ive worn it in most conditions apart from really hot days and it has proven to be very comfy and totally waterproof

have been out in blizzards in it and been warm enough, also got them to put the full winter hood on it and got fully lined sleeves

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
My oilskin Drover's coat,................thanks to which I really love the rain now :D
Not for the faint hearted though, 3Kg dry & makes you look an extra from 'the man from Snowy River ' :rolleyes:.....you get used to people smirking behind your back though..:nana:

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
My Snowsled Classic smock; great for the woods and low level stuff had it 7 years and still going strong. Not found my perfect hill jacket yet...

aad3309c-d5c8-4b41-b9ce-9a7324aefcea_zpsb03e20cf.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had Paramo for a long time, being an early adopter back in the day when you could head to toe in Paramo for less than a gtx jacket! They were cheaper because they were new to market and ppl took some convincing (including many gear writers for magazines). I couldn't afford anything else. I loved it's comfort when wearing all day but hated the sleeves with a passion! You did them up with poppers and a few minutes later the excess fabric fell out and you looked like 1700's fop with a bellowing out below the wrist. Useless cuff design but they argued Velcro doesn't work in winter as the hook and loop becomes clogged with ice. never noticed it on my newer waterproof jackets.

Anyway, too many bugs and weaknesses for any Paramo to reach best waterproof in my view. Got a nice event jacket, Montane superfly, which was bought as a mag gave it best buy. was a first edition, new out too. lasted 6 years before I spotted the fabric at the lower back allowed pinholes of light through.

This got replaced by. a Berghaus Asgard mtnhouse jacket developed by the team behind that big Asgard expedition with Kirkpatrick and Holding. gtx pro shield. Worked well, very lightweight, packable, very close fit in order for the fabric and wicking lower layers to work more efficiently yet it had full freedom of movement. I mean it doesn't ride up. at all when you move your . arms. Best jacket I've had for fit but a bit short for my slower pplaced needs now. Plus I've expanded a bit :-( so it doesn't really fit now.

Best waterproof? Yet to find it but Montane Superfly original was closest. Best fit was my current Berghaus, the hood is amazing. My first grown on hood to fit me.

I do believe you need to buy the waterproof that fits you. Different brands fit differently. The better it fits the better the garment performs. If out walking in the hills in bad storm and all waterproofs will be wet inside if you're exerting yourself. Membranes and analogy type clothing work better to reduce this sweat build up if it contacts the wicking layers below. A loose, boxy jacket on a fell running whippet type is not best imho. Brands change their fits and sizing over time so I never stick to one brand neither.

I reckon Paramo will feature prominently on this type of thread on BCUK somehow.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My oilskin Drover's coat,................thanks to which I really love the rain now :D
Not for the faint hearted though, 3Kg dry & makes you look an extra from 'the man from Snowy River ' :rolleyes:.....you get used to people smirking behind your back though..:nana:

Ah but as we drover coat wearers know, they're secretly scared as they don't know if your wearing a set of shootin' irons or hiding a shotgun under there. :rolleyes:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For the hills, no matter what the season, I rely on my Klattermusen Allgron. In the woods, it's either my single Ventile jacket or its slightly heavier Ventile cousin. The first is a Bison number, the second a half-custom Empire Canvas Works jacket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE