What is this wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was bucking up a load of tree trunks today including a big stack of coniferous logs one of the local tree surgeons left us. Some of those had really vivid pink heartwood. I'm not entirely certain what it is but suspect it might be red cedar? Pretty regardless

Pink Heartwood by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I had some like that from a conifer I cut down. It was tough green and very hard once dried. No idea of the species though.

Reactions: British Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like damp Douglas Fir.
It has a pink heartwood, that when sodden wet looks more red.

That said, western red cedar is also red in the core, but usually that's all of the core, rather than tapering out.

Attachments

• 1634472859474.png
    1634472859474.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 5

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would have to dig back but looks like the stuff the Bowyer guys used to post from the states. They called it ERC or eastern red cedar. Could be dreaming it all up mind.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have been carving western red cedar from both the coastal and inland forests here for more than 20 years. Thuja plicata.
It is never red. Maybe a pale pink which oxidizes to a dirty pale brown over night.
I see a lot of that deep color, variable in its placement, in aromatic cedar logs of our genus Juniperus. Stunning cabinet work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We had some red cedar at one of the sites I worked on (they felled it nearby, so we were pretty sure of it) and it was red inside....like pink cooked meat. We wondered a bit looking at it, because our Alder bleeds red and G. was insistent that it was alder, but it wasn't, it was red but it didn't bleed.
Nice timber though. They made a table, a huge display shelf come reception thing, and used bits for looms and boats from it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE