What is the best meths (alcohol) stove setup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What is the bestest meths stove/pot/pan/windshield combo available at the moment? By best I mean most suitable for a tea addict.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don;t think there's a best as they're all a little bit different. The most efficient is probably the Caldera Cone from Trail Designs, the hottest will be a pressurised unit such as a MBD Mini Atomic. If you use a wide base pot then a side jet like the White Box is better suited, more efficient and quicker than something like a Trangia.

I don;t think there's a best as such

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What is the bestest meths stove/pot/pan/windshield combo available at the moment? By best I mean most suitable for a tea addict.

I think a tea addict should consider other types of stoves. Meths is good for cooking but for plain boiling water a pressure stove is a lot better. I use both. I also use a Ghillie kettle.

If I'm going to cook something I'm happy with meths.

If I'm just going to boil water for tea, and I don't want to mess about, I use an Optimus 111B running on a fuel similar to petrol but a lot cleaner.

If I want to fill a hot water bottle, or I don't mind messing about, I break out the Ghillie.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It does also depend on how and where you use the kit I think. If backpacking then trangia stoves (the full kit) are heavy. A simple meths burner, foil windshield and light pot is probably better. I've only used can stoves, WBS, trangia clone burner with honey stove in 4 sides and a MBD remote feed wick type burner. The WBS stove with a AGG 3 cup wide Al pot is my current fave meths set-up. I use a Vargo Ti-Lite pot/mug with the honey and trangia burner as I prefer the one pot/no mug kit however I have to carry a Ti cup with the WBS stove setup as the Vargo T-lite pot/mug is too narrow for the flame jets.

As far as best there really isn't it's down to preference. Although the whole kit needs to be considered together. Afterall the burner is a part of a system not the only thing. That is why the Caldera cone is so good, as a system (might still get a caldera keg yet).

As far as brew kit goes (for example on a day walk) it's hard to beat a very light esbit stove (those 11g fold out type with a rectangular try for the tab). A very light foil windshield and a Ti mug results in probably the lightest kit of all. I mean one tab weighs about 11g compared to something like 30g for the meths (exc. the weight of the meths bottle). The 11g pot and tab support (not really able to call it a burner I think) is about the weight of a home-made can stove. Add a Ti mug (at most 80g but can be lighter) and let's say the windshield is at most 60g then that equates to 162g. Probably get it lighter. For example the gram cracker is lighter or even just a bit of foil for the tab.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW I'm still considering a the Rodir meths stove. It is heavier but should be very stable in the hills for cooking and boiling water. Cheap too.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm really impressed with the cat stove design, made form an ally cat food tin. Its just one tin with an integral pot stand, quite stable and forgiving if trodden on. All the models I've made are as efficient as a Trangia. I use a piece of foil or rocks for the windshield.

I like the lightweight pressurised burners for boiling water, I carry a DIY pressurised for this and use the cat for cooking, means I can have a hot meal and cuppa at the same time

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Best stick to your Svea thev imagedude, for shear reliability, stability, simmer capability, performance in wind and as an all in one kit including pans (and kettle if required) the Trangia 25 or 27 cannot really be beaten. For solo camping its the only stove I would have taken from my collection (and I've a good few more than a 123 or Trangia to pick from). In winter when your away and need to melt ice fast mount a pressure stove in the Trangia.

If a real tea addict go for a 111 paraffin (Sorry Ged I'm not a fan of the 'B') or an Army No12. Can't recommend a Ghille as they are a one horse wonder and don't see the point in them unless your diet revolves around boiled water.

These pots with a heat exchanger work very well on pretty much any stove http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120713429...29084&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

Or maybe (not tried one but may buy one)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOENIX-A...352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1b14c550

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Lots of votes for the Trangia here. It's good. I have what is effectively a Chinese knock off of a Trangia burner and an Optimus cook set available in the UK from Clas Ohlson
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=164029951

I find it works well for car camping if all you want to do is boil water for tes/coffee and dehydrated meals. A little heavy (19 oz.) and bulky for backpacking, for which I use a super cat stove and a 5" light Aluminium pot see
http://espressopaulo.com/11.html

this weighs about 3 oz. with a aluminium foil windscreen. Very fast boil time for an alcohol stove.

The picture above it is a "hobo stove" made by a friend from a coffee can. Very simple but effective in woodland were there is a lot of dry brush and dead twigs about. Not sure whether that is possible in the UK:).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I worry about some or you guys, sweating over a couple of ounces :(

Back to the question in hand, (Oh the CO set is great value), the only other complete 'Storm Cooker' set I've seen and own is the Optimus Trapper 81 which uses a completely different burner system. Fuel is poured onto a built in wad/pad so no leaks or spills the the burner is a tube above the pad. Heat is controlled by a lever on the side and if I'm honest it performs better than my beloved Trangia's. They are not a common stove and can fetch good money but are worth looking out for. First picture is not right, the set is sitting in a spare pan.

stove3.jpg

DSCF1423Small.jpg

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not just weight though but bulk too Richard.

Back to the original question the best complete kit has to be the caldera cone. You buy the one for the pot you want to use or you can get the keg set for either Heinnekan or Fosters can. This has the cone, burner, pot made out of the beer can with lid, measuring cup, pot cosy, silicone bands (so you don't burn your lips drinking from the pot), measuring cup, fuel bottle and caddy. The pot and burner and windshield weighs 77g on its own. With all the other bits it is 183g but the main thing is it all packs into the caddy which is about 2/3rds the size of a 1 litre nalgene bottle. As far as I am concerned pack size and fuel efficiency are important as well as weight. I know the trangia kit is a nice system and works but to my mind the caldera cone is more efficient as a system. I guess if you don't have to carry the system then you can have whatever you want as weight and bulk is not a problem but if you are carrying it (backpacking or as a brew kit on day walks) then to my mind the caldera cone is a system that is hard to beat. Cue arguments about not being durable and other arguments. There will always be trangia fans and I am one but still find it is a bulky, weighty and over specced as a simple brew kit when out and about.

BTW if the original poster wants to define best brew kit as well it might help. Is it a kit to make a brew for yourself when out on a walk or something to make a load of teas for a group? From the above answers most are thinking it is a brew kit for you or at most a limited number. If you are looking for something for a larger group then trangia and the lightweight alternatives are probably not best. When I was out with BTCV groups we used a gas ring with a large kettle. Another BTCV group used a larger Kelly-kettle. Both worked well at getting a large amount of water to the boil for a group but obviously not portable (wasn't a problem as we worked from a minibus or land rover anyway).

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
BTW if the original poster wants to define best brew kit as well it might help. Is it a kit to make a brew for yourself when out on a walk or something to make a load of teas for a group?

I'm looking for a lightweight brewkit for my solo winter mountaineering exploits.

Last edited:

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
I've just got the Caldera Cone to go with a Vargo Ti lite mug. I've had a Trangia for 20+ years too. It's very impressive for boiling water. I don't know if the can-based pot would be durable though. The supplied burner is already looking 2nd hand from the fuel bottle bouncing on it in the storage container.

Shug is definitely certifiable ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE