What is the best Bushcraft Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
One that works.

Not meaning to be facetious here but I have seen so many c**p so-called 'survival' and button compasses.

There is lots of cheap (and expensive) rubbish out there so decide on what skill level you have and what you want to use it for. If you are absolutely dependent upon walking rough terrain, on bearings, in c**p weather, then a sighting compass is probably the way to go. However, this is way over the top for most of us.

I'm sure I'll be shot down by lots of other people but I would recommend a very basic Silva or Suunto compass - no more than US$20 - with small baseplate, bezel marked in degrees (not Mils - if you're not planning arty/mortar joint fires, just leave it at home, eh?), and the ability to take a bearing from an object and from a map. You don't need automatic variation adjustment (remember 'mag to grid, get rid; grid to mag, add', if you bother at all), you don't need a needle for all hemispheres, and you don't need a sighting mirror either.

The metal supposed military sighting compass? I have not seen anyone in the military use one in 15 years. Don't waste your money. If you can't take a bearing with a basic Silva/Suunto, then give up.

Small plastic Silva/Suunto compasses weigh nothing (which means you are likely to carry one) and it doesn't matter so much if you lose it. They're waterproof and reliable - that's why some many people use them.

Have a look at something like the Silva Field 7 (http://www.silva.se/templates/ProductSearchPage____87.aspx?epslanguage=EN&category=2&productLevel=2).

I'll just hop down from my soapbox now :aargh4: and await the deluge of flaming from people who paid 40 quid for a Ray Mears-recommended sighting compass... :D

I bought a silva wrist compass with luminous hands primarily for when canoeing but it is a total waste of space. The needle keeps jamming and it varies so much from north it's unreal. a very dangerous compass indeed. Ok it was only £15 or so but it appeared to be a good make and it looked so easy to use having it strapped on like a watch. :(

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
w00dsmoke said:
I bought a silva wrist compass with luminous hands primarily for when canoeing but it is a total waste of space. The needle keeps jamming and it varies so much from north it's unreal. a very dangerous compass indeed. Ok it was only £15 or so but it appeared to be a good make and it looked so easy to use having it strapped on like a watch. :(

any bits of ferrous metal in the vicinity? ;) not being facecious, hiden bits can catch the best of us out.

I'm firmly of the KISS persuasion. just a compass that will point north with accuracy, is liquid dampened and can be calibrated to the map or sighting. Suunto, Silva, or even plastimo will all do the job.

Don Redondo said:
any bits of ferrous metal in the vicinity? ;) not being facecious, hiden bits can catch the best of us out.

I'm firmly of the KISS persuasion. just a compass that will point north with accuracy, is liquid dampened and can be calibrated to the map or sighting. Suunto, Silva, or even plastimo will all do the job.

Nope, not metal nearby at all, it's the design, sorry it's not a sylva it's a suunto M9.

http://www.abetterworld.co.uk/product_details/51-M9.html

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
I've used a variety of compasses over the years for work and play and am currently using a Plastimo Iris 50 sighting compass. It's extremely easy to use (unlike the sighting compass from Silva) and very good value. It's prism is etremely clear, it has a luminous card and the card pivot is exceptionally smooth.

I struggled for years with the Silva Sight Master whose card stuck regularly and which took no account of parallax when sighting through it. I finall gave up with it when algae started to grow in the oil!

The Iris 50 is available online in olive green from Quay West Marine in Poole at a very good price.

Cheers

Gf

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Silva Ranger 3 has been my main compass for years... Just recently got a Ranger 27 for improved sighting, but haven't had much chance to use it yet.

On the subject of magnet and compasses, I recently discovered that the magnetic money clip I usually have in my back pocket will deflect a compass by 5 degrees at 50cm away... :eek:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I use a Silver Ranger 3, in preference to the Field 7, for the longer baseplate (little easier to do point to point bearings) and the wee magnifier.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got a Silva, about 40 years old now, it still reads north OK, well it points in the same direction as my PII aircraft compass

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I personaly use a Silva type 15 ranger, and a Silva huntsman as a back up, never had an ounce of problems with either. But the best compass as was said is the one you have with you.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,
I use a Silva type 54, pretty good compass, it measures in Mills, the type 4 measures in Degrees. I only use the 54 instead of the 4 because it was free from work. MikeyP, the Artillery still use the Prismatic sighting compass mate, great for the job its intended for, but its not light and a Silva type compass is a lot easier to use.

Brian

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
don´t know what the best Bc compass is...

I use a
Recta DP (the compass function starts with the basic DP2 model, higher model numbers indicate additional functions) - the mirror beeing underneath the compass body shows a "true" image of the compass rose
and a
Silva Field 7 (beeing a bit shorter compared to the expedition models makes it even better for bushcraft IMHO)
and have no complaints so far

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The one between your ears.

I used to walk the hills of Westmorland when I was a lad in an old anorak (not waterproof), jeans and shoes. I didn't own a compass, I had an old Bartholomew half inch series map and some Kendal mint cake.

I still rarely use a compass though I carry one, and my GPS is just used for finding archaeological features not shown on the map.

I learnt to navigate by looking at the land and the sky, knowing where I was, where I had come from and where I was going.

Sometimes I think this "head up, brain on" approach is becoming lost amidst the responsible, safety first brigade.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying safety isn't important but I have met many people on the hills that have no clue as to where they really are!

They can point to a map and say "we're on this path" (Often they're nowhere near it.) but if you ask them where they are going in the landscape or where they crossed the horizon they have no idea.

All I can say is it's a good job most hills are covered with paths and other walkers to follow because half of these people are lost even before they start out.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Wayland said:
The one between your ears.

I used to walk the hills of Westmorland when I was a lad in an old anorak (not waterproof), jeans and shoes. I didn't own a compass, I had an old Bartholomew half inch series map and some Kendal mint cake.

I still rarely use a compass though I carry one, and my GPS is just used for finding archaeological features not shown on the map.

I learnt to navigate by looking at the land and the sky, knowing where I was, where I had come from and where I was going.

Sometimes I think this "head up, brain on" approach is becoming lost amidst the responsible, safety first brigade.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying safety isn't important but I have met many people on the hills that have no clue as to where they really are!

They can point to a map and say "we're on this path" (Often they're nowhere near it.) but if you ask them where they are going in the landscape or where they crossed the horizon they have no idea.

All I can say is it's a good job most hills are covered with paths and other walkers to follow because half of these people are lost even before they start out.

OK, I'm kind of with you on this but, if you are learning and trying out various methods (which I would advocate), how do you know you are right? What do you use as a reference?

Yes, in much of the UK, a compass isn't really needed if your map skills are good enough but I would argue that for a few quid, there is no reason not to carry a half-decent compass. Indeed, in particular areas of the country (parts of the Dales, Lakes, Exmoor/Dartmoor, Scottish Highlands), it would be careless to not have a compass that allows you to do basic map work in poor weather or featureless ground. And I don't mean a button/survival compass - these are for back-up only.

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
W00dsmoke

I have a Suunto M9 and have had no problems at all with it. I was given this tip by a mate of mine who has one and uses it a lot - if it seems to be sticking or erroneous, lick your finger and wipe it across the face of the compass. Apparently they suffer from static build up and being a card needle can get very upset - the wet finger discharges the static.

Only going by what I have been told but I have never had the problem you describe.

Joff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE