What is the best Bushcraft Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Wayland said:
The one between your ears.

I still rarely use a compass though I carry one, and my GPS is just used for finding archaeological features not shown on the map.

I learnt to navigate by looking at the land and the sky, knowing where I was, where I had come from and where I was going.

Sometimes I think this "head up, brain on" approach is becoming lost amidst the responsible, safety first brigade.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying safety isn't important but I have met many people on the hills that have no clue as to where they really are!

They can point to a map and say "we're on this path" (Often they're nowhere near it.) but if you ask them where they are going in the landscape or where they crossed the horizon they have no idea.

All I can say is it's a good job most hills are covered with paths and other walkers to follow because half of these people are lost even before they start out.

Aye, it's all very well being able to navigate by looking at the landscape, but you're stuffed when the haar rolls in or the cloudbase drops...

I'm not in anyway disagreeing about the importance of these skills, mind you. You're equally stuffed in that situation if you don't know where you are in the first place.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Silva Ranger 27 is with me always...small and light sighting compass with sun watch etc etc

For 'serious' use its my Ranger 15TDCL or Field 26.

In my 'survival kit' I go for the recta/sunnto watch band clip on. Far better than button ones.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Zammo,

I've used a Prismatic compass quite a lot mate, they are a bit much for most hill walking or hiking tasks.

Brian

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've got a lensatic compass, but agree with Brian that it's a bit much. I got it to learn with, thinking it would do me for hiking and planned sailing, but the sailing never took off. It's still decent quality, but a baseplate one would be more convenient for hiking.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Brian said:
Zammo,

I've used a Prismatic compass quite a lot mate, they are a bit much for most hill walking or hiking tasks.

Brian

In what way is it a bit much, as in difficult to use?

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Zammo,

The issued Prismatic sighting compass can be a little awkward to use mate, to read the scale, in Mills, you have to point at an object using the sighting line on the flip up lid and look through the small prism to see the reading, which takes a bit longer to settle as it is more accurate. Unlike the normal Silva type base plate compass you can't place it on a map to orientate it or take a bearing. You need to use a protractor, the military use a protractor RA 6 inch to take a bearing from the map to convert for use with a prismatic compass. Military prismatic compass' also need to be surveyed at regular intervals to make sure they maintain there accuracy. As I said mate, they are a little bit much for most hillwalking, however if you want the accuracy they are good, if a little expensive. Hope that helps mate, if you want a sighting compass, with a base plate, Silva do some, have a look at something like this http://www.outdoorclothing.co.uk/product_015095.htm

Brian :D

KenK

Sep 5, 2005
I tend to recommend a compass that has adjustable declination - so that you can pre-adjust it to compensate for the difference between magentic north and true north in your area.

In some parts of the world this difference can be as much as 15-20 degrees or more.

Brunton (owned by Silva) makes a little green compass that has adjustable declination and is fairly inexpensive.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
KenK said:
I tend to recommend a compass that has adjustable declination - so that you can pre-adjust it to compensate for the difference between magentic north and true north in your area.

In some parts of the world this difference can be as much as 15-20 degrees or more.

Brunton (owned by Silva) makes a little green compass that has adjustable declination and is fairly inexpensive.

Mmmmm....something else to go wrong, though? I'll admit, they can be useful but it's not generally a feature of a 'basic' compass.

I was taught in the Scouts to remember: "Mag to Grid, Get Rid; Grid to Mag, Add"

Once of those funny little phrases I've never forgotten. The only problem I have now is finding up to date information on declination in different areas. There was a web site but I can't find it anymore.

Any ideas?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I just read it off my maps, or assume 3 degrees round here (for the next few years, anyway)... AFAIK, it's no more than 4 degrees anywhere in the UK.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This Nexus 25 is one of my favorites.

bfh_bird_trout1c.jpg

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Mikey P said:
I was taught in the Scouts to remember: "Mag to Grid, Get Rid; Grid to Mag, Add"

In sailing, I was taught:
True Virgins Make Dull Companions, Add Whisky
ie. going from True to Magnetic to Compass add Westerly variation/deviation (and subtract Easterly).

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I got a great deal on a Suunto MC-2 a few years ago and it's proved to be excellent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE