What is it with Bear Grylls and Pee!?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushBerks

Jun 19, 2015
Berkshire
To me, this isn't survival. This is a weird little fettish... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that it uses more fluid to break down the concentrated amino acids etc, than you would actually take on, drinking wee.
It's bad enough when he drinks his own, but that's clearly not doing it for him anymore, so he's now drinking other people's!

http://youtu.be/45Pgmfb9d_o

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Aqua vitae, maybe at his posh school they learnt Latin and he took it literally

aWlfaWRhbzlmeW4wXzE0ZjI4ZDliOGQ5NDRhYTI;jsessionid=28E45E4150A08A5149E752500CE83C10-n2.bs05a

aWlfaWRhbzl5bG0xXzE0ZjI4ZGExNjZjMTVkNWM;jsessionid=28E45E4150A08A5149E752500CE83C10-n2.bs05a

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Everyone loves a celebrity, give him a weekend, a rusty sardine can and Angelina Jolie, and he'd be the happiest man on earth.

I saw a Bear trailer the other day, obviously he's never heard of a broken ankle, and how bad that would be "in a survival situation"

BushBerks

Jun 19, 2015
Berkshire
I know what you mean.. I can't watch his shows. The amount of times I've seen him jump off waterfalls into the pool below!?! Like anyone would risk broken legs when it's all they can do to stay alive... If he's ever REALLY been in a survival situation, and it's not all just marketing lies, his survival must be more a matter of luck than judgement.

stone monkey

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2015
east yorkshire
Apparently after each filming session he is helicoptered back to his luxury hotel and then back again next morning to be filmed climbing out of the dead camel he has" just spent the night in " . Check out his watch, it changes during every sequence !!! I too refuse to watch him anymore, give me Ray Mears anytime

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
He should just have a disclaimer at the start of each of his shows something along these lines.

Do not try this at home and definitely do not try this in a real survival situation as most of it will kill you, these acts are performed with a full entourage and medical staff on hand at all times by someone returning to a cosy hotel when the director shouts 'Cut'.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
What he does as a figurehead for scouts is good, what he does for tv sensationalism is ott and pointless, hats off to his cameraman he does the same thing but carries the camera at the same time perhaps they should film him instead ;-)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've watched a couple of his shows, quite by accident. He's an entertainer, pure and simple. While bushcraft is the base platform, I can't see that he's the least bit interested in accuracy. Just enough outdoor activities to keep the curious coming back. Creating headlines and culinary atrocities builds a vicarious audience = keeps the series sponsors happy. What he does floats people away from perhaps a stodgy existance.

4freek

Jul 15, 2015
Canada
I stick to Ray Mears,
Less drama, real solid advice and without all the fluff.

Watching Bear just frustrates me. I'd rather be at peace and work with nature, than exhaust myself trying to beat it into submission.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
If you were with Mr Grylls in a real-life, post-disaster survival scenario, do you think he would apply common sense and use his survival skills and experience, or would he show off, play the celeb and try to make you drink urine? Personally whilst I believe he potentially has an excellent skill set, I would always be "looking over my shoulder" and certainly not following him blindly into any eating/drinking/jumping/cutting situations!

bowji john

Silver Trader
Out of Mr Mears and Mr Grylls, I know who I would rather spend a post apocalyptic afternoon with.

One thing you don't need on any trip, let alone one where survival is an issue, is a big ego.

Met Mr Mears - a humbling and fascinating experience

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Apparently after each filming session he is helicoptered back to his luxury hotel and then back again next morning to be filmed
Now that's Glamping ,,, I'm a celebrity, get me to the nearest bar.
It's bad enough when he drinks his own, but that's clearly not doing it for him anymore, so he's now drinking other people's!
"well at least he will be familiar with the nose",,,,,,,, Blackadder,,,
Loved it when he stuck his head in to the bees nest, came oot looking like John Merrick. Honestly, you can say anything you like about oor Bear, but he can certainly entertain me sometimes, how we did laugh.

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Out of Mr Mears and Mr Grylls, I know who I would rather spend a post apocalyptic afternoon with.

One thing you don't need on any trip, let alone one where survival is an issue, is a big ego.

Met Mr Mears - a humbling and fascinating experience

Indeed, much rather have Ray along, mainly because I could last longer on his corpse than the skinny waster grylls.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
As much as I agree with bear being way to over the top and don't watch his shows as they annoy me too. rays shows are staged aswell to a degree nowhere near as much as bears but still staged. I love rays programmes and watch them on repeat constantly but we seem to compare these two when they're compleat ly different programmes anyway ?

denny 😊

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
To me, this isn't survival. This is a weird little fettish... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that it uses more fluid to break down the concentrated amino acids etc, than you would actually take on, drinking wee.

http://youtu.be/45Pgmfb9d_o

I know what you are saying, its a known fact that drinking your own pee in any quantity can be bad for you let alone somebody else's which could be contaminated with something unpleasant, I like Bear but he does take things to the extreme and lets face it drinking your own pee would have to be the last resort!

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
I mainly dislike the way he portrays the outdoors as a place full if nasty things and dangerous places. Basically "go outside and YOU WILL DIE!". Yes trekking in the wilderness is not something to be taken lightly but surely the idea is that with a little knowledge and respect for your surroundings you can enjoy it in a safe and even reasonably comfortable way?

bowji john

Silver Trader
I mainly dislike the way he portrays the outdoors as a place full if nasty things and dangerous places. Basically "go outside and YOU WILL DIE!". Yes trekking in the wilderness is not something to be taken lightly but surely the idea is that with a little knowledge and respect for your surroundings you can enjoy it in a safe and even reasonably comfortable way?

Well said

As for drinking urine - I was taught that you can get away with it once or twice, however each passing of urine results in greater concentration of the bodily wastes. Additionally the kidneys will stop producing urine as dehydration sets in so urine is not likely to be available for long.

It is better than no fluid intake but hardly a long term solution.

Once again he has chosen an unusual situation and exploited it for the purposes of sensation.

I find with people coming on courses you have to get them to 'unlearn' some of the twaddle they have picked up from our friend on TV

Not so with Ray - the only crime he has committed as far as I can see is that he makes the techniques look so damned easy - so people get frustrated when it takes them hours to get a bow and drill to co-ordinate, let alone get an ember!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE