What is it about a wood Fire ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Had a quick trip out to a local wood, intending to brew up and have a quiet read. Was going to use Hexy block, meths and wood for each cuppa and do a comparison. Got there and did a quick brew using hexy, a no brainer. Set a wood fire and that was it!

Pottered around gathering more wood, watched the flames, let it die down and brought it back up, used it for coffee, lunch and soup. Really just did things to keep the fire happy... it just took over in a most pleasing way.

What is it about a wood fire?

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
a fire good is like the most beautiful sexiest woman, on the planet, strutting her stuff, you dare not to look, but us bare fragile mortals can't keep having a peek at the fire all the times,,lift your moral and put the biggest smile on our faces, and keep us warm, that is all I am saying my friend tc cheers the interceptor boy.,
you naughty man.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Lucky you - SWMBO doesn't want a wood burner, despite my arguments that's (compared to gas) it's warmer, cheaper, more fuel efficient, better for the environment, etc :(

Depends where you source your wood - it can actually be more expensive but I still prefer it

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Before I was in my teens I lived on Epsom common, I had many a camp fire day or night, alone or with a few friends.
Those times were magical to me and are still with me today.
Camp fire, you just can't beet it.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
The smell, the sound, the look of dancing flames. The comfort that comes from knowing I can make a fire easily when many people think it's difficult. The way that understanding what you need to make a fire keeps one eye open to natural materials I could use as I walk round the woods. All of this and more. It is a primal thing I think - somewhere inside we know we're animals and that we should be scared of this burny stuff - but we can know, understand and control it.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Thanks for brightening up my morning, Hammock_man.

And it's odd that these posts should give me such a lift, as I had a fire-fix only yesterday doing much the same as you describe, brewing up and nurturing the flames. It's a two-way thing, and human relationships are generally by reciprocal arrangement. The I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine human/fire relationship is embedded so deeply it has become part of our make-up.

:campfire:

Cheers,

Pango.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
In my neck of the woods its not feasible to have a brew fire. but have lovely open fire in the front room. Better than the tv. I have a mate who is a tree surgeon, so I'm lucky enough to get my wood for nothing.
Colin.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Even the smallest fire makes you feel warm and nostalgic!!! Sky did a video loop of a roaring log fire over the christmas period - it made you feel warm just watching it!!!!! :D

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i love a fire and will always have 1 where possible, and even over the course of a year my carbon footprint is still quite small from that, compared to the fuel i use in just 1 week going to work...

wood or sticks are free which is another reason, but its just the fact that i can do it with a few sticks and some dead grass, and knowing that some man, thousands of years ago, could have been doing the same thing, in the very same spot, maybe even used some of the same methods.

again the smell, the contact with the elements, earth, water, air and fire, they all play a part in making and controlling fire.....

anyway, im talking rubbish now, but yes a good fire is awesome....;)

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Depends where you source your wood - it can actually be more expensive but I still prefer it

Getting wood for burning around here is not a problem - I have a sycamore that fell in high winds and a friend is slowly taking that apart to burn. He's probably got another 3-4 tonnes to recover !! As long as you know some farmers / forestry guys, there is an ample supply of wood. I help my neighbour collect / chop and he probably gets 15 tonnes a year (ish) without paying for any of it. Yes, that's a lot of wood but he heats the house & hot water from the burner so it's on pretty much all year.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i love a fire and will always have 1 where possible, and even over the course of a year my carbon footprint is still quite small from that, compared to the fuel i use in just 1 week going to work...

wood or sticks are free which is another reason, but its just the fact that i can do it with a few sticks and some dead grass, and knowing that some man, thousands of years ago, could have been doing the same thing, in the very same spot, maybe even used some of the same methods.

again the smell, the contact with the elements, earth, water, air and fire, they all play a part in making and controlling fire.....

anyway, im talking rubbish now, but yes a good fire is awesome....;)

Especially when it's snowing on sutton bank! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE