What is bushcraft ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
My Bushcraft is about being happy and comfortable in the "non-urban environment", learning to be at peace with that which mankind has not overly warped to its will, learning my place in Creation, passing on the skills and understandings that I gather on my life adventure, caring for that which seems uncared about, appreciating the good that man can do and can achieve by the sweat of its brow and the love in its heart - and having a couple of drinks with my good friends in a nice place :)

My thoughts exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
I still think I am in study mode. Perhaps bushcraft is all about gaining skills to be as comfortable and self sustainung as you can. So its really a pathway, or a collection of skills -?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Here we go again. Strangely (or maybe not) considering I am here on this forum I don't think of myself as a "bushcrafter" I am no Ray Mears nor Mors Kochanski. I sleep under canvas (well it's modern equivalent) rather than leaves and bracken, not that I could not do the latter if I wanted to, but I don't as it is all rather uneccesary. I may go out with more means of making fire than most, but that's not bushcraft is it, it's overkill?

I sometimes wonder whether what makes you a bushcrafter is instead of going out for an Sunday afternoon stroll with nothing more than a couple of sarnies and a pacamac you go out for the same stroll as if you were about to cross the Andes by frog, and I may well be guilty of that.

We are stuck with the word it seems. I generally like to disturb nature as little as possible, never mind I drive a 4WD (that is stereotypes and contradictions for you) I guess I want to appease for my motoring sins by being gentle on the rest of nature. I garden organic and I much prefer the old ways of doing things when craftsmanship was appreciated. However I wouldn't be happy on a desert island unless I had the internet :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I may have said this before (and possibly in this thread if I could be bothered to read back), I think that the term wild camping is a better umbrella for what we do, after all some of us use canvas and leather and wood, others use cuben or nylon, but the common thread is that were not doing it on commercial campsites (usually). Its unfortunate that the term has become associated with camping illegally, a habit for which the term stealth camping seems more suited.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I may have said this before (and possibly in this thread if I could be bothered to read back), I think that the term wild camping is a better umbrella for what we do, after all some of us use canvas and leather and wood, others use cuben or nylon, but the common thread is that were not doing it on commercial campsites (usually). Its unfortunate that the term has become associated with camping illegally, a habit for which the term stealth camping seems more suited.

How can anything with the word "camping" in it cover all the skills covered by the term "Bushcraft". I often enjoy using bushcraft skills when sleeping out is not part of the agenda - foraging, tracking, wildlife observation etc etc.
"Camping" is too limiting - "Bushcraft" is so vague as to cover so much more with camping skills only forming a small skills sub-set!:)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
How can anything with the word "camping" in it cover all the skills covered by the term "Bushcraft". I often enjoy using bushcraft skills when sleeping out is not part of the agenda - foraging, tracking, wildlife observation etc etc.
"Camping" is too limiting - "Bushcraft" is so vague as to cover so much more with camping skills only forming a small skills sub-set!:)
Yep, fair do's. BTW, when did what happened at Scout camps become 'bushcraft' ? My Dad was, I think, a District Commissioner with them and I never heard the 'b' word until I came back to it recently. He may have used the word 'woodcraft' and I used to have his copy of Kephart until last year (don't ask).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yep, fair do's. BTW, when did what happened at Scout camps become 'bushcraft' ? My Dad was, I think, a District Commissioner with them and I never heard the 'b' word until I came back to it recently. He may have used the word 'woodcraft' and I used to have his copy of Kephart until last year (don't ask).

We used to do "backwoods" style cooking and I used to run "survival" camps when I was a VSL.... no mention of "Bushcraft" then ... but that was 20 odd years ago :)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Along with my previous post, bushcraft for me is to be home after a long day day, sit in my living room and start to plan my nights shelter.
See what I have on hand and what is available to me, out of the wind, water nearby and available materials.
Bushcraft is being in the wilderness and being at home all the while, never having left the "wilds".
You have to be comfortable in spirit, real abilities, experience and knowledge.
Just because you don't have 4 walls and roof over you, you can still be "home".

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was never a Scout - I joined as an instructor then was tricked into getting a Warrant ("It is only one hour a week" - yeah - one hour off! :) ) starting as an ASL then taking over the Ventures as VSL. When the Scouts in their wisdom binned Ventures it coincided with my getting my 15 years Long Service Decoration and as none of the units locally met on a night that I could do I drifted away from Scouting...
I was invited back to work on the Training Team but - again - I find that other things get in the way.
"Bushcraft" seems to be the Buzz word these days - in my day it was "Survival" that got the Scouts fired up but, as far as Scouting goes at least, it seems to be the good old core "Backwoods" skills that are being taught ... I think BP would approve of the skills being passed on - but horrified at the Red Tape and paperwork involved in teaching them these days!
Not only does the Term "Bushcraft" cover a great deal but it is becoming a widely recognised term - even the least interested has probably heard of Ray Mears, even if they are not quite sure what it involves!

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
What is Bushcraft?

The term 'Bushcraft' covers a broad spectrum of things; a range of skills, practices, ethics and even the way of thinking....It doesn't have to be a combination of all of those things for you, Bushcraft can be different for every person; whether it be learning how to carve wood or how to find clean water in the wild or even making your own DIY meat-smoker! It doesn't matter as 'Bushcraft' is so broad for many Bushcrafters it's about getting out and enjoying nature and learning to become at ease with the natural world, Some find learning traditional techniques and skills to live within the natural world gives a sense of achievement and self-reliance

For me Bushcraft is about learning to become comfortable in living in the outdoors, learning to live within nature, using it's resources in a suustainable manner, always striving to learn more about flora, fauna and wilderness skills, for knowledge is the most important tool, it weighs nothing and gives you the ability to not only Survive but to flourish.

Dave

'TO DREAM IS TO LIVE, TO LIVE IS TO SHARE THE DREAM'

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I was never a Scout, they wouldn't let girls in back then and Guides were namby-pamby softies. I had a collection of Scout booklets though and to my pleasure many of them are available online here. I got side-tracked browsing through this one.

Last edited:

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I was never a Scout, they wouldn't let girls in back then and Guides were namby-pamby softies. I had a collection of Scout booklets though and to my pleasure many of them are available online here. I got side-tracked browsing through this one.

Wow! The Dump thats really old school reading I remember seeing some of that reading material back in the day when I was just going from the Cub's into the Scouts!

Memories!!

Dave

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex

Back again! I have just spoken to my Brother about the 'The Scout Book of Gadgets and Dodges' my Brother seems to think he has seen this book in my Dads book collection when we were clearing out the house and putting the books into storage after he died, will have a look at the weekend and see if we have an original?

Dave

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Back again! I have just spoken to my Brother about the 'The Scout Book of Gadgets and Dodges' my Brother seems to think he has seen this book in my Dads book collection when we were clearing out the house and putting the books into storage after he died, will have a look at the weekend and see if we have an original?

Dave
The one I would love to find again was about making lanyards, it had an excellent collection of decorative knots but I lost it somewhere along the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE