What is bushcraft ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
So today the mrs was ''asking a question'' about what actually is bushcraft and said that isnt it about taking nothing and surviving.

i seem to look at it like you take as little as you need and survive, and what you dont have you improvise.

So come on guys ultimate basic kit list and what do you take that you dont need or could do without ?

mandos

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
Im really looking for a list of basics from each person and an item they take but have no need for ?
Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Im really looking for a list of basics from each person and an item they take but have no need for ?
Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
A list of the basics? Well... It's fairly obvious what equipment any Bushcrafter would need. A knife, a folding saw and maybe a small hatchet for splitting wood. It depends... How interested in Bushcraft are you? Are you a casual Bushcrafter? Do you spend more time outdoors than in? Do you like crafts? Do some research online or search this forum for the basics.

Ask anyone who knows me and their answer will be 'Too much' :lmao:

Id not say too much.....
plenty o spares is perhaps a nicer way to put it

for me its reconnecting with my natural environment rather than staying inside a concrete box.
its about havin sufficient to stay warm (mostly) dry(mostly) and fed and watered (always) without having to employ pack horses.

basic items-
Rucksack.
sleeping bag bivi bag and roll mat.
cook pot. Mug. Spork. Eating bowl. Food. Brew kit
first aid kit.
head torch,pocket torch, lantern
knife (ok ok knives) axe. Folding saw. Spoon knife.

items I always take but dont use?
First aid kit.
assorted other random gubbins

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
A list of the basics? Well... It's fairly obvious what equipment any Bushcrafter would need. A knife, a folding saw and maybe a small hatchet for splitting wood. It depends... How interested in Bushcraft are you? Are you a casual Bushcrafter? Do you spend more time outdoors than in? Do you like crafts? Do some research online or search this forum for the basics.

I don't agree with that way of thinking. "A bushcrafter" and a "casual bushcrafter" make you sound like a dictator of the subject.

To me it's enjoying my self outdoors, unless your like the San bushman and live through native skills its a hobby. I don't think about 'honouring my ancestors' and that sort of thing I do it for purs enjoyment.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Something to sleep in, something to sleep under, something to sleep on.
Something to cook in, something to cook on, something to cook.
Something to wear, something to keep that lot dry if it rains.
Something to drink from, something to drink.
Something to keep me clean.
Some tools to make the above easier.
Luxury ... something to bring a smile to my face :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I don't agree with that way of thinking. "A bushcrafter" and a "casual bushcrafter" make you sound like a dictator of the subject.

To me it's enjoying my self outdoors, unless your like the San bushman and live through native skills its a hobby. I don't think about 'honouring my ancestors' and that sort of thing I do it for purs enjoyment.
I don't understand how you inferred from my post that you think I'm somehow being elitist or a "dictator", friend. I'm a beginner, remember? I simply meant that depending on one's own level of Bushcraft interest they will take more or less kit. I was simply trying to illustrate that the amount of kit varies from person to person. It's all about the individual. I don't think I was talking about anything that you think. I most certainly wasn't trying to advocate "roughing it". I didn't say you shouldn't enjoy the outdoors... We all should. :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't understand how you inferred from my post that you think I'm somehow being elitist or a "dictator", friend. I'm a beginner, remember? I simply meant that depending on one's own level of Bushcraft interest they will take more or less kit. I was simply trying to illustrate that the amount of kit varies from person to person. It's all about the individual. I don't think I was talking about anything that you think. I most certainly wasn't trying to advocate "roughing it". :)

Fair enough, maybe I misinterpreted it. I wasn't on about the roughing it but more the term bushcrafter. Anyway it's probably just me, it's hard to understand what people mean sometimes on the Internet :).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Something to sleep in, something to sleep under, something to sleep on.
Something to cook in, something to cook on, something to cook.
Something to wear, something to keep that lot dry if it rains.
Something to drink from, something to drink.
Something to keep me clean.
Some tools to make the above easier.
Luxury ... something to bring a smile to my face :)

Difficult, if not impossible to better that as a description of kit - I don't think I've ever left the house twice with the same stuff, it's always fitted that set of parameters though.......

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Fair enough, maybe I misinterpreted it. I wasn't on about the roughing it but more the term bushcrafter. Anyway it's probably just me, it's hard to understand what people mean sometimes on the Internet :).
You're right though, I have said in the past that I would like to honour my ancestors and I take my interest in nature quite seriously. That's perhaps why you were predisposed to think that of me. However, I'm certainly not elitist. I'm a beginner Bushcrafter still and have more questions to ask than answers to give.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That might be it then. However everyone has an opinion and yours is just as valid as mine. Just my 2 pence about why I bushcraft. Sorry for the thread disruption. :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Well, in good weather I can [and have] been out with just the clothes on me a small pack with a litre of water and a few apples in it. But that wasn't really 'bushcraft' that was just spending rather more time outside than I had initianlly planned :)

rg598

Native
For me bushcraft is a set of wilderness skills, not a separate activity. As such, for me there is no bushcraft specific gear. You can use bushcraft in anything from a survival situation to car camping.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE