What head torch??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I just got the Alpkit as they are rated by everyone I have met and they are only about 12-15£. So I can't comment on the battery life.

The alpkit uses Red and Green LEDs rather than filters which I am told makes a difference as it produces a more true red or green light. I took red and green light as being essential becuase they don't mess up your night vision (or at least only so little it is not noticeable), the alpkit also has a red tail-light so people can follow you in the dark.

The only thing I don't like about it is that when using the LEDs, rather than the big light, it goes to white (rather than red or green) first, so I have pass through the white (the one I don't want) to get to the other two. Having said that it may just be a case of getting double click mastered when switching it on.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Petzl Tikka series for me. They just keep taking abuse and battery life is excellent at 80+ hours on the 3 AA's. (don't believe the battery life on any of them, they're all optimistic)

I'm just about to buy a new headtorch as I've lost my Petzl Tikka 2 . I'll be getting the Petzl Myo this time as it runs on AA's and I carry spare AA's for my gps anyway. The Myo has a regulated power source and doesn't get dimmer as the batteries run out.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
+1 on the Petzl Tactikka plus, even though it's out of your price range. It's easily the most economical light I have and the adapt kit is very handy indeed. I've also had the old generations of Duo and Zipka - both solid, reliable lights. The variable light outputs that they have really helps when you want to do some close up tasks. You can get the Tikka range in most walking shops - even in the very useless of the useless, a.k.a Millets, so you should be able to find a really good deal on them. I wouldn't buy any other brand of head torch now. Like most head torches though, they're bad on throw, so I carry something with more of a piercing beam too.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Update:-

Now awaiting the arrival of 2 head torches as after placing an order for the Alpkit Gamma i found a thread on BB for a brand new Fenix HL20 (£25inc delivery) that runs off a single AA battery (think it will take rechargables as well but i will stand corrected) so i could not resist and bought it, will get back here after a full field test of both torches.
Thanks again for your advice chaps.

Last edited:

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
rechargables freid the LEDs - spoke to Alpkit who very nicely repalced it but said they don't work with rechargables
Which type rechargeable battery were you using?
My Gamma works great with Sanyo Eneloops, which are low self discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries. (+1)
On their site they write "Gamma has not been designed to work with lithium batteries (rechargeable)." but not every rechargeable is of the lithium type. I wouldn't even consider using the light if it was non-rechargeable only.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Which type rechargeable battery were you using?
My Gamma works great with Sanyo Eneloops, which are low self discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries. (+1)
On their site they write "Gamma has not been designed to work with lithium batteries (rechargeable)." but not every rechargeable is of the lithium type. I wouldn't even consider using the light if it was non-rechargeable only.

Thanks for the info, always a bonus if you can use rechargeables in your lighting kit.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Both torches are now at the ranch and looking forward to trying them out.
Everything you folks have said about the Gamma is spot on, unbelievable kit and spec for price, lightweight and great features and OK build quality, you just have to be careful with the 'Twist and pull' operation on the battery compartment as i would imagine these would break easily without due care.

The Fenix HL 20 looks like a good buy as well, it's a fair bit brighter than the Gamma and runs off 1XAAA battery and takes rechargeables, but it was £10 more than the Gamma and i think i got it for well below RRP, you can't have enough toys!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
A bit late I know... but I bought one of these a little while back:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK410337.html

I scared the living daylights out of a neighbour with it the first night I'd had it as she'd not long watched Close Encounters and a 3W Cree LED chucking 160 lumens through her net curtains at 1am caused a nasty flashback! At 100 yards with the collimation turned to max it projects a 10 foot square BRIGHT image of the LED and turned to min and pointed at the ceiling it lights a 20 x 14 foot living room well enough to read by across the room.

Damned good value for a tenner plus VAT IMHO.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just to add something, my Alpkit Gamma gave up the ghost............ Was good whilst it worked though

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
while the alpkit headtorch is good but i prefer getting a very good handheld light (checkout fenix, klarus, 4sevens etc) and use it with the fenix headband

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
rechargables freid the LEDs - spoke to Alpkit who very nicely repalced it but said they don't work with rechargables

I didn't buy mine it was a pressie so I didn't know that they weren't supposed to work with rechargables. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE