What Head Torch???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The Aplkit Gamma can not be beaten for value for money, but whilst it is decent (and is my go to headtorch), there are better and brighter ones out there. But you have to pay for them.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Petrochemicals is right to ask the question about your use of the torch.

I used to use AAA cells a lot, but torch technology has moved on a long way in recent years and now I personally like a head torch to use a single AA cell and not three AAA cells such as you often find on small torches.

To get decent performance from the approximately 0.9V - 1.5V that a single AA cell provides, the electronics needs to be a bit better than it does to work on 2.7V - 4.5V that you'll get from a battery of three AAA cells.
That might make it a bit more expensive initially.

The energy content of a single AA cell is about the same as that in three AAA cells.
So run times won't be very different, but maximum brightness might be better from three AAA cells (because you can have approaching three times the voltage, however briefly) if that, er, turns you on.
But bear in mind that the maximum brightness quoted by the seller won't be achieved for very long (if at all - and especially from AAA cells, because their internal impedance is greater than that of AA cells so the voltage drops more when they're on load).

For my use case, maximum brightness isn't an issue (if I want six hundred lumens then there's something in my pocket) but MINIMUM brightness definitely is.

My Zebralight head torch has a very low output setting. This is perfectly adequate for scrabbling around in the bottom of my pack in the middle of the night, when even ten lumens would be far too bright and destroy my night vision.
I use that setting a lot. It will run for months on end on one cell, that means a lot to me. I've just measured the cell voltage, it's 1.15V and the torch is working perfectly fine - I haven't yet thought it might need changing. I no longer
even bother carrying a spare for the Zebralight, as there's another 1AA torch in a pouch on my belt (Thrunite T10) which doubles as the spare and can also double as a head torch with a bit of ingenuity.

The minimum cell/battery voltage at which the torch will operate is important if you're planning to use rechargeable cells.
I don't bother for the Zebralight because it's so economical, but for other torches I do, especially if I'm planning to use a light on a bright setting and/or for long periods.
Some torches won't work very well with NiMH, which only give you about 1.2V even when fresh, or Li-ion. It's worth checking up on that before you buy.

Yes, a lantern might be better if you're sitting in a tent. Most of the time though I'm on the move, so a lantern isn't much use to me.
If I plan to sit around I'll probably light a 350 candle-power paraffin lamp. :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
i was a big fan of the small silva head torch with its multi modes and gentle red mode. the build quality is lacking though.

im now using a unilite and its working quite well. multi mode and a sliding defuser for red and white light.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
PileWonder.jpg
Back in the 1960s we had these to rely on for MR night operations. Over time the inspired 'jack plug' made of tin and mica would either fall apart or just drop off the wire. The head torch wired to a 4.5v bell battery weighed a lot but would give a good light pretty much all night. Now you're spoiled for choice with the miraculous new led jobs. I'd reckon anything made by Petzl would serve well, though I'd not go for the most expensive ones on the grounds that gucci kit isn't always the best bargain. I'd favour anything using 2xAA rather than 3xAAA batteries; I standardised on AAs yonks ago because you get more juice for yer brass. We also learned that when following a path in the dark, you could paradoxically see the path at you feet better if you looked straight ahead rather than down to where the path was. -Something to do with peripheral retinal rods being more sensitive to light than the central cones that handle colour so much better... <<Oh Gawd, he'd started reminiscing now.....>> :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone know if any Rechargeable sealed unit Head torches that don't weigh alot of weight? Ideally I'm looking for something lightweight like the Alpkit Gamma but capable of being recharged from just a lead rather than keep swapping in and out batteries - I also don't need a mahoosive lamp thats going to cast a beam to Saturn.

Any ideas.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Anyone know if any Rechargeable sealed unit Head torches that don't weigh alot of weight? Ideally I'm looking for something lightweight like the Alpkit Gamma but capable of being recharged from just a lead rather than keep swapping in and out batteries - I also don't need a mahoosive lamp thats going to cast a beam to Saturn.

Any ideas.
lenser do a good head torch thats a rechargable unit
has the power pack at the back of the head though. i cant recal the model....h5 ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The Aplkit Gamma can not be beaten for value for money, but whilst it is decent (and is my go to headtorch), there are better and brighter ones out there. But you have to pay for them.

I would have to agree had mine for awhile now, used every day for the past year and just had to change the batteries it came with, really bright with rear light for people following great value and a good all round head torch.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Alpkit do a few now. The Gamma and Viper are the ones I own. I use them for fireside, peeing in the woods etc. If I wanted distance (throw), there are some others in this link. I don't have experience with them though.

https://www.alpkit.com/lighting

What I'm after is a neutral led headlight to bring out the brown and green colours of woodland at night. The cool white LEDs shine, reflect, and show the environment almost in black and white.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Alpkit do a few now. The Gamma and Viper are the ones I own. I use them for fireside, peeing in the woods etc. If I wanted distance (throw), there are some others in this link. I don't have experience with them though.

https://www.alpkit.com/lighting

What I'm after is a neutral led headlight to bring out the brown and green colours of woodland at night. The cool white LEDs shine, reflect, and show the environment almost in black and white.
Zebralight do a neutral led unit, and a selection of battery options too.
I have had mine for over a year and barely use anything else!

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
I've recently upgraded my petzl XP (a fine torch) to the petzl rxp

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/petzl-tikka...|pcrid|67090793462|pkw||pmt||prd|5360643580uk

(sorry link a bit funny) got it price matched at gooutdoors and a great bit of kit, although it also has a redlight (like my xp)I found it lost map detail for night navigation, this rxp has a sensor and so adjusts automatically to a low setting for close up work and then increased power again when look into distance (check out the reviews) also it rechagable and seems to have good batt life (and not too heavy or bulky for such a powerful torch.)

Happy to recommend esp as you can it for such a good price

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I bought a Petzl Tactikka Plus RGB on a deal from Woodlore a week ago.

Quality is good and I absolutely wanted red light but in honesty I find the controls a bit of a faff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Zebralight do a neutral led unit, and a selection of battery options too.
I have had mine for over a year and barely use anything else

Love the ZLs, my two main ones in neutral/warm are SC600W (18650, rechargeable)and SC52W.(AA,or Eneloops). But neither throws light far. The SC600 chucks out a silly amount of light which kind of helps, but I've yet to find a dedicated neutral thrower. ZLs are flood lights.

For late night dog walking I'm still using an Eagletac, though their tint is too yellow for my liking so I got a drop in high throw XML U2. Bit shiny, but it does light up the fields.

rickwhite

Aug 7, 2014
Cheshire, UK
I've always gone to here: http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/ for my torches. Great range of makes, models and prices and very good service.
If you don't mind spending a lot for a good quality unit, I would recommend Nitecore, though their headtorches are quite heavy, they are very bright and last ages.
Plus, battery tech has moved on beyond AA and AAA and you can now get the new 3.7V Li Ion batteries (e.g. 18650's as mentioned above). Expensive but I feel worth it if you need a reliable light source.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Petzl everytime. I've got an ancient "zoom" which now lives in the garage and on which the elastic head band has perished. No problem - I can still get a new one! These days I use a Myo as my primary outdoor light, excellent output, and again, spares are readily available even though it's several years old. Decent battery life too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE