what have your burnt in your time?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Chem labs? I'll remeber stuart! I think i once spilt a whole load of hydrochloric acid onto my work book. But thats not as extreme!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Well I set my hair on fire at the BCUK meetup when I lit the fire under the parachute on the first night! :eek:):

(Moral for the girls: always tie your hair back when blowing up an ember! :burnup:)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ooh i remember the GCSE days! Mg + Hydrochloric acid (dont know the chem symbol!) = Hydrogen! I think!

You'd put them in the test tubes and save up some hydrogen then put a burning candle to it! (didnt mange to burn anything though).

Spilling that acid did result in copying-up on about 20 pages though.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Hydrochloric acid is HCl ... now let's see if I can write a balanced equation ...

2Mg + 2HCl = 2MgCl2 + H2

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Hmm, I'm a real pyromaniac, no doubt about it. When I was 2, I escaped the homestead :nana: and made my way through enemy territory to the neighbors house and promptly set fire to it :shock: by finding their strike anywhere matches on the fireplace hearth and proceeded to start striking them and throwing them into a basket full of newspaper. Fortunately for the neighbor, a police officer, he spotted me going into his home and got there in the nick of time to snuff it out and send me back to prison. :lol:

Havn't done any burning of body parts lately, but when I was an ironworker, I was cutting through some angle iron and set my boot on fire. :shock: Talk about a hot foot. :lol:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
So pagan wolf, how did you "cool off" ?? :?: Someone oblige with water bucket, Or did't ember burn its way out of yer kecks??!! :eek:): :wink: :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
now let's see if I can write a balanced equation ...

ADI!! I dont ever want to be reminded of balanced equations in my life. I left the examination room and immediatly forgot all about them! :shock: :biggthump

(wow, i'm getting close to 1000) :roll:

Cheers,

Jake

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Actually...

After the "hot coal" incident I managed to get myself to the hospital in Fleetwood, where they refused to treat me. It's a "day hospital" or something.

SWMBO flagged down the cops..... who rather insisted that the hospital make sure my (badly) burnt mitt was okay... Bless 'em.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
When I was but a toddler many moons ago my Mom in here haste to run around after me and my little brother but sitting on the kitchen counter. She told me to stay put as even then I have habit of wandering off but I decided to go for a wander and moved over to the cooker top were I sat down again.

As I sat down I turn on one of the knobs with my foot and yes you guest it the one I was sitting on. I had bulls type ring on my backside for couple years after that and it thought me to valuable lessons listen to our mother and always check were you sit before you rest bum.

James

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Can you remember the paraffin lamps you used to get on the side of skips? I’ve not seen them for years now. Clearly on the side it had stamped DO NOT USE PETROL.
When I was about twelve I lit one using meths . It burned fine not a problem. When I went to blow the lamp out. BANG. I burnt my face quite bad took all my hair off eyebrows went the lot. I can remember running around in a meth’s fire ball. I had to go to the hospital everyday for a week. Lucky no scars

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
As students we once stuck 2oz TPA into a text book and set it off by remote, nice crater and confetti but not as impressive as the same charge in a bag of flour.

This is a really really stupid thing to try - DONT DO IT - it's almost certainly illegal and in todays political climate 'just messing around' ain't gonna stop you being detained in Cuba until the press forget about you.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
jake don't you have a levels to come

I've already entered my last year and doing my a-levels now, a C grade in all the sciences + maths was plenty good enough for me :eek:): . I looked at an old GCSE paper the other day and couldnt answer a thing :shock: show how useful my secondary education has been!

You could say i'm useless with numbers, more of a literature kind of person!

I burnt my tounge showing off that i could put a match out in my mouth, duh. (that was fairly recent as well).

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I think this thread should be renamed: How did you burn your eyebrows off :eek:):

I was at school, chemistry lesson. We had to set the old bunson burners up,tripod etc.. I struck a match and told my mate to turn on the gas tap, he fiddled about then finally opened it.
Well at school we had taps that had two nozzles and guess what one he opened...
Thanks to him taking so long about it, I had dropped the match straight onto the one NOT connected to the burner - Got a face full of flame and said goodbye to my eyebrows :rolmao:

Teacher missed it all :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE