What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I'm quite ashamed to admit this one but after many years of using both natural and unnatural fire lighting methods I learnt how to make wood scrapings from dry timber to create tinder that will take from a spark.

Very simple in and of itself but after faffing around with fungus/moss/bark etc... (And trying to find it in the areas I camp in the first place) I can't describe how chuffed I am knowing I can find some dead standing wood, carve away the dampness, spilt it to the dry wood inside and create reliable tinder every time! :)

Last edited:

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
That halving a wire saw makes a more efficient cutting tool. Now have two. New Attachment point is a narrow piece of SS tube deburred. The end of the saw loops over this (1.5 cm overlap), and secured with wire wrap. SS ring then attaches to key ring. Strong joint.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
That cotton wool is not always cotton wool! Felt so silly in the wilderness trying to spark the stuff! Narrowed my magnesium flint some! In sheer desperation I took a lighter to it. Still no joy! lol Made of something fireproof I reckon. My partner was laughing. Reverted to cardboard trash box torn into strips, feather sticks and lighter. All lit first time.
Phew. I could breathe again.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That the reed mace heads I cut yesterday (loads left in the ditch I was working) are far from the fluffy stage but are chock full of down when cut in half.

Time to char one half and see if it takes a flint/steel spark.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That Tesco do my favourite instant soup in a big tub. Usually buy in packets, a couple of teaspoons with hot water brings sweet, earthy, beetrooty joy to any day out. Love this stuff.
IDShot_225x225.jpg

LINK

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Ouch! Clouston98.:eek: get well soon bud.

I learned today that my 6 year old daughter does not like going for walks on a windy rainy day! Ended up sheltering in a cave and making hot chocolate.

I have also learned that my folding firebox is a bugger to light. I have to spend ages making tiny feather sticks and using loads of tinder to get it going.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned that by lucky coincidence the bowl and spork which I finished about two years apart are a perfect fit:

iDV5EBjl.jpg

The spork sits nicely on the bowl edge and is almost ideally shaped to sweep the bottom to ensure maximum foodage.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned yesterday how to hone my crook knife to a lovely edge :)

I also learned that what I thought was ropey technique was a nick in the curve of the blade :(

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
I learnt that the dry leaves from Common Reed collected on my walk today make a good tinder bundle. It was nice to get home and light the fire from what I'd collected in my pocket. Willowherb down, dried grass and punk wood all from the park in New Mills.

Dec 14, 2013
Warwickshire
I have learned recently that there is a lot of stuff on Bushcraft which I do not have knowledge of, at my time of life I will not have time to learn most of it so I will be selective.

I have been watching Bushcraft by accident on YouTube and got hooked on the knife making, fascinating.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I learnt that you should be careful when mixing hobbies. For example making 6 gallons of cider followed by rubbing salt into some pork loin for bacon.

The orange-brown staining you get from apple juice is an iron based stain, this appears to react quite well with sodium chloride. I am sure that the very dark brown, almost black, staining on the creases of my hands and fingerprints will grow out in a few days

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That as starts to the new year go, falling over the cat and going headlong down the stairs on new year's morning, finishing up at A & E with your arm in a sling leaves a lot to be desired.

Talk about start as you mean to go on... :(

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned what an interesting wood Beech is to carve.

Very different texture and grain to the Birch I normally work with. I'm looking forward to seeing how it sands and oils up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE