What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I learned this morning that you only need two or three miserable old buggers to drag the spirit of a forum down (not this forum).

Smoked streaky bacon cooked crisp (American style) and scrambled eggs will cheer me up though :)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Yes, it survived just fine. The biggest problem was that all the straps slowly slipped out of the buckles, so I had to stop every 15 minutes tightening it all up to avoid the pack to hang on my knees.
I have had 25kg of wet fishing net in it for a 5 hr walk with no problem. But 32 was obviously a bit to much.
I've been testing a few models lately, and I fell in love with the Norrøna Recon Pack. So I have started to feed the piggy bank.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
How cool is that! I´m saving for the same pack!
I´m just afraid it will be to long for my back (I´m approximately 163 cm), and if that´s the case I´ll buy the Para Ranger as an second option.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Food for man and dog for a given numer of days or weeks, fishing gear, hunting gear, reindeer meat, fish, tent, sleeping bag, skis, snow shoes, beer, traps and what not.
I sometimes need to carry pretty large pieces of wood over some distance. And on the Recon pack you can detach the sack from the frame and attach what ever you are carrying to the frame.
And theres no rule saying you have to fill it max every time you are using it. Allthough I like hiking with a minimal kit, there is times when you need a large packframe to do the job.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
i didn't think of carrying the meat out after reindeer hunting, i'm sure a 125l pack comes in handy then.

i'm in the market for a new 40l pack for 98% of my hiking.:)

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Well it was yesterday really, but I learnt how to climb trees arborists style using ropes and harness, and even had a go with tree climbing spurs. Also how to safely use a chainsaw, all for free and with great humour and patience by an experienced tree surgeon. Big thanks to treetop57:You_Rock_

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Today I learnt the Siberian hitch and the taut line hitch. Simple enough stuff but a mile stone for a noob like myself! :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned that a nice sharp piece of flint works superbly as a striker on a ferro rod.

I now plan to make a "stone age" striker and match the old and new technology as my standard set up.

Picture to follow when I've done it.

As promised, here are the piccies.

Stone Age striker:

a555B7ll.jpg

Seems to work okay:

BkVtf1sl.jpg

Now in my permanent kit:

KJYf2WXl.jpg

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned for the second year running that if you don't keep on top of seriously watering your spuds you don't get many large ones when you harvest...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned where there is a nice ditch full of fat reed mace waiting to got to seed.

One for my natural tinder kit in due course.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned today that the seemingly giant caterpillar I saw crossing the road was in fact one of these bad boys:

tSbDTB1l.jpg

An elephant hawk moth caterpillar; it was about 4 inches long I reckon.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That a collie terrier mix is a total handful compared to a springer spaniel puppy.

That pine tar resin is quite good fun to work with!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Never to sell a house to someone who thinks he's being clever by using an online conveyancer, your never too old for the bank of mum and dad, the health and well being of your family is the most important thing in life and an Ikea sheepskin rug makes a wonderful thermal layer in your hammock!

Sent via Tapatalk V2.0.3

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
I've learned so much over the past couple of months; the bow drill, several knots, some flora recognition, shelter building etc etc

The time I had on my hands to reignite my love of bushcraft came about however due to the fact that I never learned to recognise the onset of Pericarditis which put me in hospital and off work for several weeks.

So what i have learned most importantly and i think this is a good general rule for life and bushcrafting/surviving is learn to listen to your body. Not just when your heart is struggling to beat but if your thirsty, drink, hungry, eat, tired, rest.
Learn to respect your body and listen to what its telling you because not all aches and pains will just go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE