What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Harvest mites in April? I didn't know they were about all the time like that............I've got a Springer who's prone to the mites, and Demodex and all the others, but she only ever gets 'em in Autumn...............

So that's what I've learned today....................thanks & atb mac

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've learned that I still get black bogies from using charcoal as well as regular coal. But there's no sulphurous stench which is nice.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
But you don't like a tooled finish ;)

Say rather I prefer a sanded finish. However, that doesn't mean i don't want to have the tool skills to be able to create a tooled finish.

Besides, I didn't have any sandpaper with me when I made my latest spoon, so a tooled finish was the only option.

:nana:

I'll probably sand it later :rolleyes:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Can we have a picture?

Alas it wasn't me that made it.

I was talking to a bow maker and fletcher at a living history event and it was he who made it. Basically it was just a stave length piece of split hazel which he shaped to a gentle taper at each end.

He reckoned the draw to be about 30 pounds.

NateJ

May 5, 2013
Sir Benfro
I've learnt how to start a fire using Maya Dust and a striker (probably doesn't sound like anything to get excited about, but I am fairly chuffed)

I've also learnt how to set-up and take down a stop and go fire whilst at the same time protecting the area around it from catching (thanks to Greg for that!)

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Today whilst Woodturning I have learn't 2 lessons.

1. concentrate on what you are doing
2. that I have now mastered sharping of the roughing gouge.

Working away toady with a neck ache, I find the tool rest needs lifting ever so slightly. So thinking to myself "I wish my neck wasn't so sore" and in my own little world went about my little routine for lifting the tool rest.

Being a roughing gauge and a round shape it rolls off anything I put it on, so to save searching for it on the floor I grab it between my legs.

This technique has worked well with me for many years, well until today that is:rolleyes:

I go to place gauge in between legs, like I have countless times before not really taking much notice that I was holding it the other way round.:yikes:

Yep you guessed it, pointy bit facing me. And promptly stabbed myself in the leg:banghead:

I feel inside my trousers, nothing. I look at my trousers. Not even a mark left, I think " that was lucky" and carry on. About 5 minutes later I feel a sticky sensation and have a wet leg. Oh carp it was worse than I thought:rolleyes:

A quick first aid job later, consisting of a sheet of paper towel and masking tape and it was back into the house to fight with the first aid cupboard to look for the plasters that are always at the back and at the bottom:dunno:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
D'oh moment indeed there Joe. Get well soon.

I learned only yesterday that this reputation of birds of prey having really keen eyesight is a myth. Unless there's a sparrowhawk out there living in Pembrokeshire who is the Mr Magoo of the avian kingdom.

SEE LINK HERE.

mrmagoo.jpg

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned two things recently:

1. Where to get a decent lump of marcasite for my stone age fire kit.
2. Carving a spoon with green ash is a delight beyond compare when you are used to seasoned birch.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well not learned, but re-enforced lately;

That the lovely nurse on the ward looks familiar - not because you've met before, but because you used to go out with her mother. :(

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
I have learn't that Turning seasoned Ash on the lathe is hard work, and hitting a hidden split with the parting tool is quite scary:yikes:

I have also Found I seem to be quite lucky. As said lump of ash was shattered off the face plate, and flying towards my face............

By some miracle it split into 2 pieces and passed either side of me.:angel:

I put down the tools, turned off the lathe. And thought to myself "I think I'll stop turning for today":notworthy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE