What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well - I did google it - but couldn't find anything, so spent a few minutes on "paint" :eek:

I don't think your artistic genius is under threat though Aaron :lmao:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well - I did google it - but couldn't find anything, so spent a few minutes on "paint"

I don't think your artistic genius is under threat though Aaron

I've learned, well I knew it already but it's been confirmed in many ways today, that there are some really good people here at BCUK. People who are generous with their time and advice, simply because they care.

Thanks folks! :You_Rock_

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I learned how to make a net. Then I made a net. Badly. I learned that natural cordage whilst lovely n'all that, is a bugger to make a net out of, as it twists in unusual ways and decides to jam up thanks to all it's fibrous....erm.... fibres. I learned, I'm not as patient as I used to be. Then I learned perseverance. Now....now I just learned restraint. I learned to down tools and come back to it tomorrow.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It is said that you can lead a camel to water but you cannot make it drink ...

But if you know your camel likes salty snacks you can arrange an easy ride to your destination ~ and, in the process, earn brownie points for being thoughtful and considerate :D

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned that the simple act of standing still and watching a woodland mouse do its thing can lift a melancholy mood.

Then I learned that standing under a tree to watch and listen to a chaffinch completes the process.

Nature is wonderful.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
e7udydyp.jpg

That no matter how much you really, really like that shiny new lure you just got, it's never worth trying to pry it from a pike's mouth without long metal forceps!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
That one needs to go in the Object Lesson thread.

Ouch.

I should know better. Was fly fishing for trout and hooked the pike instead - what made matters worse, I actually had forceps deep in my vest pocket but couldn't find the damned things without dripping blood all over myself. Did an emergency patch job from my pocket first aid kit, cut the line and threw the bugger back in the loch then went home. Lesson learnt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
More of what I can, and cannot, do !!!

My body won't allow me to use a fire-bow! All the bits are wrong, wrong place, too weak and hurt too much! Bother! Oh well, it's teaching me what I can easily use to light fires and what is not even a starter for ten for me! Oh and using a lighter is really hard and hurts my thumbs too ... pesky RA in every joint!

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I learned a lot about harvest mites. After the weekend in the garden my legs are covered with red and horrible itchy spots. Blisters on some of them. I had this last year and couldn't figure out what caused it, but now I am pretty sure that harvest mites are the reason. Can't sleep well with the itching, and clothes and shoes are uncomfortable to wear :(

What I haven't learned is what I can do. Nothing seems to stop the itching (Wikipedia says it will go away after 10-14 days without treatment). I guess I have to learn to live with the itching! :mosquitos:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I learned a lot about harvest mites. After the weekend in the garden my legs are covered with red and horrible itchy spots. Blisters on some of them. I had this last year and couldn't figure out what caused it, but now I am pretty sure that harvest mites are the reason. Can't sleep well with the itching, and clothes and shoes are uncomfortable to wear :(

What I haven't learned is what I can do. Nothing seems to stop the itching (Wikipedia says it will go away after 10-14 days without treatment). I guess I have to learn to live with the itching! :mosquitos:

Oooo they are horrors. My play woods are full of the delightful bleeders.
Coating my trousers and boots in deet is the only thing that seems to keep "most" of them at bay. Also sticking to paths and not tall vegetation helps when you can.
Loads of antihistamines and camomile lotion helps too. As does hydro for the worse ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE