what have you been foraging?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fantastic. Thank you. What a nice link to read and bookmark. Don't get between me and the beet greens.
Steamed, buttered with salt and a sprinkle of vinegar. Spinach really is second rate.
I've even bought a commercial steamer basket as the domestic kitchen ones don't hold enough.

Although I went over the wall (retired) 10 years ago, economic botany and foraging still hold my interest.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I was about to ask if there's any chance of obtaining some seed.
I'd have to pot them up (12/12/12 pots) and bring them in for the winter.
We had some -30C nights that nobody enjoyed.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well the brown trout season is open, but no fish were had. But the banks spared plenty of wild garlic and my first ever try of sweet cicely, lovely gentle sweet aniseed flavour.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
For the time being , just been foraging crampball mushrooms for drying again , as ive traded quite a few in the past few months ... Need to replenish the supply.

All though spring is pretty much here now, so I'm looking forward to getting the ransoms again and some dandelion to start off, along with the fresh Hawthorne leaves and restocking on yarrow!
Got to love Spring!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Nice. We did collect a nice wee bag of cramp balls too. They seem pretty plentiful at the rivers edge
Fallen Ash (Fraxinus Excelsior) trees or dead Ash limbs in damp areas are common in England.

Those crampballs grow on them.
Awesome tinder !!
They catch a spark from the flint and steel really well, if dried thoroughly..👍👍

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not sure if it can be called foraging, but I went out in the snow gale and harvested 4 trunks of the mountain birch.
I need one more, will do that tomorrow if the god Rán will allow me!

Will take home, will make one knife stand for myself, the rest of the wood will be used for my first attempt in knife making.

Hopefully the Airport Security people do not nick it!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I would definitely call it foraging! I guess harvesting might be a better general term, it's more about wild resources than anything else. As long as it's done in a sustainable way.

Leshy, I found some good clusters of cramp ball on what seemed to be a long dead sycamore. I had always assumed they were exclusively on ash. Is my tree ID bad or is this possible?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That fungus grows mainly on ash, but does grow on other trees too.

Cut it open and have a look of it has those rings inside.

Sure I removed the trees sustainibly! Another birch seed can take root there, and in another 100 years or so there will be another birch growing!
( plenty of those stunted birch trees around. Nobody cuts them down as they today have no use.)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Leshy, I found some good clusters of cramp ball on what seemed to be a long dead sycamore. I had always assumed they were exclusively on ash. Is my tree ID bad or is this possible?

Yes mate, it is possible. Although I've never seen it on Sycamore...
But i don't see why not.

Honestly​ , I'm not sure bud 😊

They do grow on birch too sometimes ...

👍👍

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
What you see on birch may be Daldinia loculata rather than cramp balls (Daldinia concentrica) especially if the tree in question has been burnt, it's quite rare apparently in the UK. I have also found large clusters of birch woodwart that at first glance could be mistaken but these tend to cluster more and flatter than the rounded cramp ball.

Foraging wise my main bit is Wild garlic for cheese straws and Herb Robert which I use it to make a daily cup of tea, good for you and nice flavour as well. Waiting for the nettles to grow a bit more before making soup

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks awarner, interesting.

Had my first brown trout of the season today. Looks like I should prioritise building a smoker soon!

A lot of plants are really pushing up. I can't believe how big the wild garlic is! I think I spotted young jack by the hedge too

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
On the sea coast of southern Texas we are already experiencing days with temps above 80°F (27°C). Winter doesn't last long here. We are at about the same latitude as central Algeria or New Delhi, India. However, at our backs is the North American continental landmass and some very strong weather fronts can sometimes come barreling down the Great Plains towards us at weird times. The Canadians occasionally over-do it on the cold and it spills over onto us. This region is also known to occasionally get a hurricane (cyclone) or two in the warmer months.

Gardens grow very well and there are a lot of wild plants to forage. Plants to harvest include natal plums (carissa berries), cattails, and a wide variety of plants most people consider weeds. People kill the weeds, which are all too often edible, and keep the ornamental stuff which is typically toxic. If you know which 'weeds' are which, it's a cornucopia. People mow the stuff down constantly and the weeds will still grow taller than a human at a shocking pace

When in the bush you have to be very careful of the nastier snakes (copperheads, water moccasins, and rattlesnakes). If you are bold, remember, rattlesnake really does taste like chicken. Be careful, reptiles tend to carry salmonella so prepare accordingly. Most reptiles taste like chicken when cooked. Alligator is textured like chicken and tastes like chicken with a hint of catfish.

Other hazards in the bush include the hordes of local mosquitoes (more than a few of which are almost big enough to haul passengers in commercial service) and they sometimes carry West Nile Virus. In some of the marshes down in Mexico the locals will gather up mosquito eggs in huge numbers and prepare them as food.

As the temperature warms up in this very humid, warm climate, you have to be careful of wild land animal and flying protein sources. Parasites and worms tend to be a problem. Those are best harvested in the colder months (well, weeks, depending upon what you consider to be 'cold'). Some, like alligators, ducks, and deer, are subjected to seasons.

We have some of the largest oyster beds in the USA here. However, for safety's sake you normally only harvest them in colder months. Typically, the oyster harvest tends to end around the time of the Oyster Festival, and that was almost a month ago (the kids go to a carnival while the adults drink lots of beer, eat a zillion oysters, and listen to bands playing loud country music). Warm weather oyster hazards include red tide (can make an oyster or clam lethal to eat) and vibrio vulnificus, which is a flesh eating bacteria that can cause a crippling loss of limbs or death. It's an old practice for many of the locals to have a small container nearby with some bleach in it, so if their skin gets cut in the water during warmer weather, they immediately pour a bit of bleach on the wound.

In the summer months, some of your best sources of protein are saltwater fish. For foraging in this type of environment, a coastal estuary, any boat, even a small dinghy, is a huge advantage.

Saltwater fish in the Gulf of Mexico can get rather large, and it's not that uncommon to catch from a breakwater an Atlantic redfish (ocean perch) the length of the tailgate on a Toyota pickup.

Because the fish tend to be bigger than most fresh water fish, and most have a good set of teeth, saltwater fishing typically needs strong gear and steel leaders.

Two of my most common fishing tools is a throw net and a Cuban yo-yo. I also have a couple of crab cages made out of coated chicken wire.

A throw net is invaluable. We have one vegetarian species of fish, the mullet, that you primarily catch by net, though a hook baited with bread sometimes works. In Texas, mullet are only used for bait by most people, though I have found them tasty. Further east, once you start getting towards Florida, you can even start finding them served in restaurants. You can also catch shrimp (prawns) with a throw net, and there are tons of those here.

If you don't know what a Cuban yo-yo is, you should look it up. Regardless of where you live on the planet, it is a valuable addition to your self-sufficiency gear. They are dirt cheap on eBay.

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just been for a bimble on the river, and there's loads of jack by the hedge now, there really shooting up. The wild garlic is almost in flower, time to try the flower fritters soon!

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Been in the local woods (bramcote, nottingham if anyone fancies a bit of foraging) and been picking ramsons (flowers and all), goosegrass, nettles, birch polypore and primrose. The primrose leaves are slightly suspect when raw but the flowers make a nice garnish

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE