what hat do you wear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have an old green Tilley orginal. Been on many a trip, an old faithful. At the weekend I bought myself a Drizabone Buffalo leather bush hat. i must say its great.

which hats do you good people use and why?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
An Akubra Snowy River and in the post a straw akubra for the summer heat (I'm going to athens not hoping for a British summer!).

They are very expensive if you buy them in london but much more reasonable if you get them direct from Australia and the service I've had from shops over there is almost second to none.

http://www.akubra.com.au/products_country.html

A little way down the above page.

Bill

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Just treated myself to a new tilley LTM6 from the states via ebay. Dont tend to wear a hat in shady places like woodland. Until I got the tilley open country wear tended to be an aussie rabbit felt job or a Walmart cheapo special cowboy hat I bought in the states until both got very wet recently and ended several sizes smaller than my head! The kids love them though :wink:
Cheers
David

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
109912.jpg

This wool crusher has been with me for at least one decade and has served me very well. I usually sport one type of feather or another from the Elkskin band. The feather shown is a secondary flight feather from a Tom Turkey. Summer usually finds me in ballcap or a boonie.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I must have over a dozen hats.

I'm going bald, and get sunburn easily, but I often forget to tke a hat on trips, so I end up buying a new one every other summer.

Very soft peak caps, sometimes with a nape of neck shade, that I can roll up and stuff in a pocket. Or the sort of hat that cricketers were (but not always white).

I have a Panama hat, that comes out now and again, and a straw "cowboy" type hat, too.

Oh, and two waxed cotton hats: a wide brimmed hat and a flat cap (it fits into my Barbour pocket more easily).

And for cold days I have a rabbit skin shapka made in China for the Russian market (but it's got to get [b}really[/b] cold, like -15°C for me to wear it).

And thats before I mention silly hats :)

Keith.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
a buckaroo aussie wax hat.
I have an aversion to baseball caps. Generally caused by my youngest(20) never taking one off. and the moron yooff that wear them back-to-front :nono:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Akubra Cattleman - good kit, keeps the water off and sun out. Worth it, even paying top dollar at the RM Williams shop on Regent St.

Baseball cap on those odd occasions where the Akubra isn't practical.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Being sparse of hair I need the protection so its a tilley for the great outdoors in the summer - a baseball cap for knocking around town.

In winter or when the night chill creeps in I wear a woolly hat with thinsulate lining and if the weather is really crap I sometimes opt for a mountain cap but these can be tooo warm!

jakunen

Native
Like Keith I've got quite a few hats.

2 Trilbies for smart wear.
Good quality Panama for holiday.
Battered Panama for working in the garden.
A couple of printed baseball caps (NEVER worn the wrong way around!!!).
And a load of different Auzzie ranger style hats and army craps hats for everything 'outdoorsey'.
Including one VERY battered one that lives in my fishing cupboard.
Oh, and a fur lined 'Russian' cap for winter.
Ones got to be co-ordinated Patsey darling! :eek:):

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
If hot'n'sunny, DPM boonie hat
If just a bit sunny, Mossy Oak NRA hat for outdoors or OG NRA hat for urban, both baseball style.
If cold then a watch cap, but not thinsulated 'cause I get sweaty head despite extremely short hair.
Nearly bought one of those collapsible leather oz hats at the weekend, I suspect I might look a bit of a tit in one though. Shame as they are great...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have an old toggi australian bush hat which has traveled with me all over the world, I also have a Tilley T4 which i think is fantastic....... the problem is i almost never wear it :shock:

you see even though my old toggi is much less practical than my T4 it has been with me so long that i am much more comfortable with it, may be it just because i havent worn it in enough but my Tilley feels too stiff and new..... thing is i dont think i'll be able to wear it in because when ever i put it on to go out i find my self stopping at the doorway... then turning around to get my old toggi

98Stu.jpg

98veiw.JPG

so heres to my old toggi its like an old scruffy dog that never does what you want him too but you never go anywhere without

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Lowe Alpine - Mountain cap
Thinsulate wooly hat
Tilley- original off white job and a green one T4
Barmah Buffalo Aussie bush hat- got a the Billing landrover show this year , not worn it much but a strong contender for my favourite.
Panama- just in case I get invited to Henley, Lords etc ( as new condition, never worn)
Barbour moleskin flat cap - my fishing hat- keeps the fly out of the back of my head on the forward cast, although it has seen the water a few times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE