What food are you taking to the Bushmoot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gasman

Jul 12, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hi all,

First post so please be kind!

I'm going to the bushmoot, and wondered what food the more experienced members are taking? Anything special or unusual that you take that you tell the rest about?

Thanks,
Gasman

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Normally when out and about I take fresh food and cook it.As my son is coming to the moot with me we are stuck with mostly tinned stuff because of his eating habits.

As much as I can fit in the van!

Seriously, though, we're taking tinned food, rice, pasta, bottled fruit and a few army ration packs.

There's a Tesco in Bridgend which is only 15 mins away, so you should be ok if you want to nip out and get fresh stuff too.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Well I'm bringing a little bit of grub and then intending to stock up on fresh stuff! Got hold of some "look what we found pouches" check them out on google if you don't know who they are.....their chilli is the best!

Gailainne

Life Member
I think that depends on whether its just you, if you have transport, etc, the site has a very good refuge collection system, so if you want to go with tins for longevity, no problems.

I've been lucky the last couple of years (hopefully this year too) and someone has been doing a supply run on the first day, which I've tagged along on. I buy a mixture of fresh (veg, fruit, meat, bread and milk), frozen (a steak for a treat)and tins, as well as the dried packet stuff, plus loads of beer, don't forget the beer. Oh and if you dont bring a chair with you, buy a cheap one from asda when you get there, sitting on logs gets old real quick.

BTW may be a bit OCD but make a list beforehand otherwise you'll buy out half the store, guilty as charged your honour:eek:

Last edited:

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
a cheap coolbox from argos would be a good idea to store stuff in. I found pitta bread to be a good replacement for bread. Tinned veg is a good thing to take if you dont fancy a resupply for fresh. Beer like Gailainne said, oh and some extra beer.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Rice, pasta, mild chili sauce, mild curry powder, (I'm born to be mild), tomato paste tube, "Look what we found" meals (if they arrive tomorrow... :) ) fresh-ish roasted coffee beans,tea bags, honey, ciinnamon, nutmeg, Morrocan spices, naan breads and bananas.

most of this I have already, what I dont (or doesn't arrive...) I'll buy in Bridgend.

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I went with Toddy last year.
Food was not a problem.
:D

I usually take;
Bacon and sausages (I freeze one pack of each, put them in the bottom of a cool box),
pots of beans,
salami,
tomato paste,
pasta,
onions,
lentils,
stock cubes
cupasoup
babybel cheese
oatcakes
cereal bars

that sort of thing.
My best advice for you, is to plan your menus.
Work out what you want for each meal, then make a list.
Then add an extra meal or two, just in case.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Previously, I've done a menu plan, and taken all the food on site, but with a longer Moot this year, I'm going to need to do a supply run.

I tend to take fresh meat and veg for the first couple of days then move onto preserved stuff (e.g. beef jerky can rehydrate in a stew, salami can fry up or go in a stew). Vegetables /fruit generally keep quite well.

I usually have a couple of rat pack type meals for emergency (e.g. if you're too tired by the end of the day to do a proper cook), but tend to cook from scratch.

I made flatbreads last year and am bringing along a lot more yeast /flour this year to do various breads and pancakes.

I'll be bringing a bunch or two of fresh herbs from the garden for the stews.

Lunch for me is the most awkward one to cater, so I've tended to end up with noodles. This year I'm bringing potted meat spreads and oatcakes.

I've always ended up cooking on the wood fire, but usually have a meths /gas cooker for backup.

Oh, and in my defence, I do like cooking.

Geoff

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is a good little general store on the way into Bridgend for beer, you can get an O2 signal in the toilet block. My kids were camping in Bridgend a couple of weeks ago and told me a couple of night clubs open until 06:00 and plenty of taxi's should you need to get away from the bloke pitched next to you who likes playing his banjo into the wee small hours :)

Have fun folks.

gasman

Jul 12, 2010
North Yorkshire
Wow, can't believe the variety. Thanks for sharing.

I wasn't sure if doing a supply run would be allowed so that's good to know!! :)

Good tip for freezing sausages and using as an iceblock, thanks Graham_S.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
In my cool bag, I have thin iceblocks, and I line the base with one, put my frozen stuff on top, then put another on top
then my stuff to keep cool goes on top of that.
The whole lot gets kept in the shade/buried, with a wet towel on top.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wow, can't believe the variety. Thanks for sharing.

I wasn't sure if doing a supply run would be allowed so that's good to know!! :)

Good tip for freezing sausages and using as an iceblock, thanks Graham_S.

Not allowed? Your off camping not to Stalag Luft 3

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE