What exactly is this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Hi all, been clearing out the work place workshop and found this, I know it goes on the hand and I assume for sewing.... anyone know what exactly it's for?
1c43b4be4d8c600ec61dcb57f4fec043.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No photo yet - but I'm guessing it's a stitching palm. Provides a surface with which to push a needle against.

[EDIT]

Photo has arrived and I'm correct. Stitching or sail makers palm.

Last edited:

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Ah for sail making! So it's for pushing the tough needle through, I had suspected as much as we have a fleet of small boats here, Thank you.
I personally think it's quite an attractive bit of leatherwork :)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It's a sailmaker's palm and is absolutely invaluable in any sewing kit. You sometimes see a ropeworker's version which has a higher band around the base of the thumb which enables you to wrap the thread around and tension it when whipping heavy ropes. You can get right and left handed versions.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a sailmaker's palm; I gave my Dad's to my eldest son a few weeks ago. They're generally huge and even tied in tight it was about 3" too big for my hands.

Brilliant bits of kit though if you've got heavy needles to get through multiple layers of heavy canvas, or through basketry or rope work.
Modern ones come with white plastic inserts instead of the iron ones; I reckon the older ones are better, tbh.

Give it a good soak with neatsfoot oil and it'll nourish the leather. That one looks pretty sound though :D

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Still made here since Onedin was a lad...

http://neptuneworks.com/pages/sewing-palms/

i forget ive got one until I've chavelled my fingers to so much meat paste...

Atb

tom

Just emailed them to ask how they are sized in real terms. I rather fancy one of the lightweight ones with the brass work... Especially if its adjustable for the lads to use as well.

Last edited:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Yup, this palm is the real thing.
At one time, they used to ship them in a flattened form and , to get them to fit comfortably, you soak it in water for an hour or so, then it will easily conform to your hand shape. The downside, is that you have to keep it on the hand awhiles,, til it starts drying out and re-hardening.
Nice find, I have one quite like it, from 1943.
Ceeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can buy them in different sizes Toddy, although it can be tricky to track them down.

I've tried for years to find a small enough one (I take a 6 or 6.5 in a glove) in the end I made one. I used a 2p coin for the 'thimble', but it's nowhere near as heavyweight a piece of leatherwork as my Dad's one was.

Tom, that's a brilliant site; have you bought from them ?

M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They don't sell direct, as far as I can telll, l but if I get a reply i'll see what there minimum trade order is. I've already asked them who they recommend as sellers. Poking about the net there seams a wide variation in prices for identical items.

I asked what the smallest ones they do are.

atb

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wonder if they'd make up a tube of useful needles for bushcrafting folks :D
I also wonder if they'd give the Boss a Trader's account ?

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll ask my local friendly sailmaker if you like, Mary, but that does sound pretty small.

Thank you :) I'm not tiny, just small, and it's unusual to find tools like this in small sizes.
Right now my hands and wrists aren't up for that kind of sewing anyway….why I gave Jamie my Dad's palm.

atb,
M

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'll keep my eyes open for you. I used to partly finance my sailing by setting up repair shop in the bar in the evening after the racing so I have a good collection of tools and I still know where to look for stuff.

I wonder if it's worth doing a group thing for a sewing kit that would include things like a couple of sail needles, leather needles etc?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've not heard back from them so if someone else wants to rattle their cage I'd be grateful to hear about sizing.

ATB

Tom

Ps wife just phoned them to ask and got a girl who was just minding the phone so no help on details of the products.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE