What edge angle on a drawknife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I'm making a drawknife at the moment, and have just remembered that most drawknives i've used don't have standard bevels on them, does anyone know if it is a single bevel, or if there is a secondary one, and what angle the primary or if there is one, the secondary edge at @?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When I have used them I have always dubbed the "flat edge" off slightly and given it a slight bevel, nothing like as much as the main bevel but it makes it simpler to use.
That was for cleaning up old oak beams at an archirectural salvage yard and was my first job after leaving school.

Have just looked for "drawknife" in my sharpening book and it says that first of all drawknives are supplied with too high a main bevel angle and it can be reduced to 20 or sometimes even less degrees.
If you leave the unbevelled edge with no bevel you can only do straight cuts but as they are more commonly used for general shaping its better to dub them off to a 5 degree bevel on the "flat" side.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
For a long time I used mine with a plane iron type edge (flat one side, aprox 20-25 degree bevel on the top) This was ok as I could use bevel up on long cuts on straight work, and bevel down for curves (inside radiuses) I tried putting a micro bevel on the flat side, it improves user control. The total angle including the micro bevel is now about 25 degrees which is ok for ash and oak, but 20 or 22 would be ok for soft woods like alder or lime

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE