Tomahawk - design feature?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm wondering if the sharp pointy bit on the primary blade edge of these Tomahawks have a functional purpose?

Ideas??

Or just Hollywood Cool?

1693244682794.png

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
That's a Winkler RnD axe. It's a combat axe.

Front spike for close combat use, rear spike for breaching.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That's a Winkler RnD axe. It's a combat axe.

Front spike for close combat use, rear spike for breaching.

For $815 I would hope there is a guarantee it will work every time in that function.

Reactions: Robbi and Van-Wild

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have one of these that I , er Liberated... salvaged!!! Yes salvaged , I may fashion something similar for gits and shiggles.

1693340353020.png

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Dave winkler made some kit for the seal teams I believe.

They have had a little more popularity since Jack Carr has written about them in his books and the release of the terminal list on amazon. Not quite used in bushcraft but more so in combat/duty

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It's for when can't use a gun. Like friendlies in proximity.

Years ago were photos of a Mexican cartel member in a kevlar vest who tried to wrestle away an agent's shotgun, so another agent used a Winkler.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm genuinely intrigued who uses an axe for combat outside of LOTR.
I've personally known of these types of axes being carried in combat. While they are marketed as a hand-to-hand fighting tool, they are more commonly used to clear barricaded rooms, locked metal boxes, vehicles, or to create handy holes in the thick walls found in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Reactions: Kadushu

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Less use than a hammer that you get on some of them.
Riggers axes are supposed to be absolute beasts for braying nails in and were used by the California timber framers.

I have seen old UK firemans axes with a spike on the back (the things with a black handle saying its safe upto something like 20,000 volts and the worst grind I can think of) but for me I'd far rather have a hammer on em.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE