what does everyone do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

damh_bard

Hi!
I work for an international Druid Order - no really, I do :)
Another part of my job is storytelling, putting the old myths of the land to music and poetry, and teaching Druidry and Bardism. All of that is great spiritual work, but to balance that I wanted to learn about the native ways of wilderness bushcraft, so booked myself on the Fundamental Bushcraft course with Woodlore, a course with Trackways some years back laid the foundations.
I could bore you senseless about the mythological associations of the trees, but now I also know which ones are good for using as bow drill parts, efficient burning, feather sticks, medicine etc.
So the balance of spiritual and practical is becoming real - and now I'm blending this in my work with the Druid Order.
Looking forward to more interaction with you.
Peace
Damh

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Kath,

boaty said:
Is there any mileage in putting one or two on the web and using the evidence of interest in them, shown by the number of accesses, to help reel in a publisher?

I agree with Boaty's idea but be aware once you have posted your work on the net it is then in the public domain and you could lose out on that lucrative movie deal.

Cheers

JFW

G

Ginja

Kath said:
And before anyone asks ... no, I haven't had any of my fiction work published yet (but if any publishers are reading this, I am open to offers! :-D)

Hi Kath,

A quick note on publishing ... I certainly wouldn't bother publishing any of your work on the web - crazy as it seems, most publishers really don't take the web seriously as a medium, and are more than likely to view any online work as being a bit 'home-baked' (ie. amateurish). Stephen King tried it ... but then he's Stephen King, innit.

My advice (if you're serious about it) would be to find a suitable publisher, or in some cases, an agent - ie. someone who deals with your particular genre, and contact them direct. Speak to them first via telephone, and if they're interested, THEN you should send them some examples of your work (otherwise you may be wasting your time).

And when that first publisher turns you down, try another, and then another, and then another ... and so on. Until either a) you get totally bored and fed up, or b) you find yourself on the best sellers' list!

Hope this helps - don't mean to be deliberately negative; just brutally realistic!

Best of luck ...

G :wink:

leon-1

As with everyone else, the interest seems to stem from childhood (more than likely instilled by my stepfather and my brother), post that I travelled a bit in quite a long stint in the armed forces, but nowadays my job has absolutely nothing to do with the great outdoors (I am an opto-electronics test technician and work with lasers, dense wavelength digital multiplexors and am a qualified computer engineer), thus my time in the great outdoors is very precious to me. :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm a trauma RN - in English, that means I work in a trauma intensive care unit (multiple injuries unit) as a registered nurse. It's as sharp as the sharp end gets. Our patients range from mainly the worst RTA victims, but encompass the more unusual, such as plane crash victims, train crash victims, gun shot wounds and stabbings, but our (my) specialty is head injuries. These can range from none accidental, such as spontaneous heamorrhages from ruptured aneurisms, post operative - eg the removal of tumours, to trauma, from GSW's, knifings, and accidents. By definition, all are clinging on to life by thier fingernails. Many are young. Many have multiple, massive and devastating physical injuries. All of our patients are ventilated and most are comatose. depending on a number of varying factors, the mortality rate in most ICU's is around 50% - 70%, trauma units tend to be on the higher side.

Bushcraft chills me out. :hurra:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm a biologist so sometimes I get paid to play in the woods. :hyper: Unfortunately, though, my job often keeps me chained to a computer. :smashfrea

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm a computer 'techie' for the local authority. I look afrer around 9,000 Pooters and 24,000 people that use em :shock:

The nearest I get to a tree in work is if one of the users has a woodland screensaver !! :rolmao:

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
Analytical chemist. Closest I get to the wilds at work is looking at the trees outside my lab window.

And worse still I've moved from a rural village in Scotland to the middle of Manchester for work. :yikes:

jakunen

Native
OK, may as well come out of the cupboard and admit what I do.

I'm an IT guy and I'm also getting my own candle and jewellery business going.
Oh, and a occasional chef...

My bushcrafting comes very rarely just now, mainly due to living near Reading and not driving...
The closest I rearly get is my walk to the station in the mornings...

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
i'm a bench joiner. So i quite often have to sharpen peoples knives when they b****r them up! My timber recognition is good but you don't walk thru a wood and see it squared up.
I try to teach the scouts but have the same probs as the other leaders.

J

Jamie

Well

I am a qualified landscape conservationist (ecological and conservation sciences) but for my job I get to play with lots of shiny new kit :eek:): (I also play at web design when I get a chance)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I don't get to do bushcraft at the moment as I live in Nottingham city center. I'm studing computer science (read I am sad a boring person) diring A levels Idid biology which involved looking at soil contents and animal habitats so I guess thats sort of bushcrafty.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Evil, knife weilding, sadistic, egotistical, bully that forces boys & girls to slave away in hellish conditions fore more hours than there actually are in a day, you guessed it - CHEF :yikes:
And while I try very hard not be the stereotypical kitchen thug, I 've only got to asked a simple question and people burst into tears :shock: . I mean those of you that have met me :naughty: , is it that bad :?: , I mean c'mon guys, what are you not telling me :wink:
Neil

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I like you Neil :wink: at the moment im a logistics supervisor for ford motor company, started as a mechanical maintenance fitter,then i trained as a constructional blacksmith,then onto multi skilled technition, covering 13 amp plugs to robots i then become a production supervisor in the Paint trim and assembley plant dagenham for a couple of years then onto a maintainence supervisor in the PTA when that closed i went to the press shop as a maintenance supervisor and covered the press,body sub assembley and tool room also as a maintenance supervisor, i then escaped there to the ford transport operations which is where im hiding now doing 12hr killer shifts! :roll: so im an after work and weekend bushcraft warrior :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE