What Do You Do? Invasive Species

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You're walking down the street and see this in the grass next to you. What do YOU do next?

1609621_10152294906224254_1720463831_n.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's brilliant!

It is kinda humorous. But it's not meant as a joke. While I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photo, this sort of sight is getting more frequent in Florida as Burmese Pythons keep spreading. Even if the photo is authentic, I'm not good enough to identify that particular snake either TBH, but nonetheless, this does happen here.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It is kinda humorous. But it's not meant as a joke. While I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photo, this sort of sight is getting more frequent in Florida as Burmese Pythons keep spreading. Even if the photo is authentic, I'm not good enough to identify that particular snake either TBH, but nonetheless, this does happen here.

I mean it's actually brilliant, impressive, etc. would love to see something like that "in the wild"

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If that's real, it's a King cobra. And they are so rare and valuable, I don't think you'll find them living free in the Everglades. But if you do, you've found the fixer for the python problem.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If that's real, it's a King cobra. And they are so rare and valuable, I don't think you'll find them living free in the Everglades. But if you do, you've found the fixer for the python problem.

Thanks for the ID JD. Not sure I'd want to trade the Pythons for Cobras though.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Fair enough. In it's own native wild anyway.

What's native and what isn't? Over time everything moves around we just have a very short sighted view. Rabbits for instance were once native in the uk, killed off in a
n ice age and brought back by the Romans... Are they native now? And camels, they come from North America and are now extinct there, you can only find wild dromedaries in Australia? So where do they belong? Not Egypt that's for sure.

Seems we're becoming increasingly obsessed by where things and people belong in this day and age.

*kicks soapbox away*

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks for the ID JD. Not sure I'd want to trade the Pythons for Cobras though.

Oh no, King cobras are brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Very intelligent snake. But they won't breed like pythons and the Florida eco-system won't support them. Damned shame, they are on the level of the Great White as being the most fascinating predator on the planet.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What's native and what isn't? Over time everything moves around we just have a very short sighted view. Rabbits for instance were once native in the uk, killed off in a
n ice age and brought back by the Romans... Are they native now? And camels, they come from North America and are now extinct there, you can only find wild dromedaries in Australia? So where do they belong? Not Egypt that's for sure.

Seems we're becoming increasingly obsessed by where things and people belong in this day and age.

*kicks soapbox away*

That's because natural migration and evolution is (usually) slower whereas our transplanting of species has more immediate and disasterous results on native ecosystems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE