What do you carry your water in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I only ever use the bottles that I buy water in from the supermarket. They're effectively free, you can crush them flat and they still won't leak when you fill them, they're disposable, they're light (about 40 grammes for a two litre bottle), they'll take high pressures so you can sit on them, they have screw caps so they're reclosable, you can fill one with warm (not hot!) water so you have a hot water bottle, you can get a spare cap and pierce a hole in it to make a fire extinguisher (or, if you're a Jeep owner, a brake disc cooler:)), you can make a funnel and a cup with one just by cutting it in two and you can use one to start a fire.

Im with you on that one!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
After accidentally burning a hole through my platypus bottle today i have decided to get something a bit more robust to carry water in! What do you guys use?

It varies...

When weight and reliability are an issue, an MSR 10L Dromedary bag, very tough although perhaps a bit pricey.

Or for shorter walks a couple of 58 pattern NATO bottles.

And sometimes when I'm in far away places, supermarket liter and a half bottles, mostly for the reasons others have mentioned above but also because I don't have to pack them and won't be concerned if they are damaged, lost or stolen.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nato Water Bottle. [Designed so Iodine will not degrade in direct sunlight, through the thick black plastic]
A sturdy cheaper alternative to the Dromedary is the 10 Litre Ortlieb Water Bag. [Although the Ortlieb Sac is easier to fill]
Katadyn Ceramic Pocker Filter. Millbank Bag @ Iodine. And a small blister pack of puritabs on my person.
waterbag_n26.jpg

Last edited:
same thread as a playty pus may or may not be as robust ???? but i change it regularly as they are Free :)
usually carry it empty and rolled with brew / travel water in a 58 bottle the nfill the lemonde bottle as i stop for over night use and top up the 58 next day

bottle3.jpg

bottle1.jpg

for car camping etc then teh 3 or 4 ltr Squash bottles with carry handle are hard to beat again free and ofton replaced

Last edited:

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i use 2 sigg one liter bottles been through plenty of ex military but find these more plesent

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
No matter where I go I carry at least 2 Dutch 58 Patt water bottles - often I will take 4 with me. Might seem extreme but I never seem to find water when I need it. The Dutch water bottles are excellent. Had them for ages now and not had any problems.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its a rarity that I carry much water. When I do, its usually in a 2L platy hoser, with an inline filter.
If I carry more than this its in re-used plastic bottles-No point paying for nalgene waterbottles and the like, disposable bottles are awesome.
I like to use the square fruit juice bottles because they pack better and have much larger tops for easy refilling.
For large amounts of camp water, its a simple bin bag in a stuff sack.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
58 service bottle here too. We also have a two gallon HDPE container for canoe trips.

Over the years we've tried all sorts and while we have Sigg bottles they tend to stay packed away and unused, will still use lemonade bottles though.

I remember 'Survival and Weaponry Techniques' reviewing various bottles and concluding the lemonade bottle as the best option being nearly indestructible, only 40p and coming already filled with a drink.

Al

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
A 1.3 liter Klean Kanteen and - depending on circumstances - either a 5-litre, 10-litre, or a 20-litre "foldable water container" meant for "camping". Obviously, I don't carry twenty litres on my back. I have a boat to do that chore.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Army issue x1 coke bottle x 1 = 3 litres, the coke bottle inside the pack and issue bottle in the front pouch with my mug spoon and slice for cooking/eating........easy does over night and as a back up i have an issue pump to filter and treat water when i find it........tried it at Brockwell Woods and im still alive....WHOOOOOOOooooooooooooo...........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE