What do you actually do with your knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
you will if its one of the locking ones and no reason to have it on you

same as any pen knife

ATB

Duncan

The OP stated that he wanted it in connection with his work, so I would imagine that he would have good reason.

Generally though the cops are not that interested in workman and their everyday tools, however if it was found on a street pharmacist or Chav, I reckon the cops would push a charge.
I have carried a leatherman for YEARS and have never had a problem.
There is a lot of discretion used in the knife laws... as we all know.
However if a cop decided to be pedantic, then I am sure he could make life hard for you.
Personally I pay very little attention to the knife laws, other than to make sure that I remove any sheath knives that I have, if I was to enter a shop on the way home from a nights shooting.
I live in a country area and the police here tend to operate in a different way to many inner city forces.
They know that most of us have an axe, knife, chain, machete etc in the 4x4, but they never bother us, mainly due to the fact that all of the above are regarded as tools in this area, and not something to use as a weapon.

Come the high winds, snow and floods, all of the above are required to be in the truck. We are lucky here to have a fairly tolerant force, but as previously mentioned, they could get nasty if they wanted to.

I actually carry three knives. My hunting knife is only used for skinning and butchering and cutting patch material.
My legging knife is a back-up for my hunting knife. If I should accidently dull the blade on bone I can keep going with the other knife instead of having to stop and sharpen the dulled blade.
My clasp knife is used for camp chores, whitling a kettle hook, putting points on tripod feet, making trap parts, that sort of thing.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a stainless scandie that lives in the kitchen for all kinds of food prep, I fat we only have two other normal kind of kitchen knives Big carver and a stake knife for cutting up the dogs dinner, i use my main gonebush knife for anything else mostly for making wood implements for the kitchen,Most recently miniture canoe paddles for sandwhich making,HMMMMM pastramie and salad.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If i have an axe with me then my main blade gets very little use at all these days, maybe a bit of whittling and food prep. All of which could be done with a blade half the size and maybe even just a little folder, a smaller knife would probably perform better than a great big hoking 4mm thich blade.

Day to day i use a little multi tool for cutting due to our carry laws etc.:rolleyes: I know my rights but i dont want a trip down the station before i am believed. So i guess unless your heading out into very remote places where a bigger dual purpose knife is needed or its inconvenient to carry an axe then yes, but in the uk? i dunno.

In ideal situation, axes are for splitting and knives are for cutting.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
My main user, an Opinel No 8

Used for feathering, shaving sticks, carving food, whittling, cutting cord, packaging etc.

Blade is stained from use but at least it gets used unlike a couple of knives i have.

I use one of these myself for most things, small enough to be useful, but big enough to be used for splitting tinder- and they are pretty cheap. I know people with expensive knives and I know I'd cry if i lost one lol

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
The OP stated that he wanted it in connection with his work, so I would imagine that he would have good reason.

Generally though the cops are not that interested in workman and their everyday tools, however if it was found on a street pharmacist or Chav, I reckon the cops would push a charge.
I have carried a leatherman for YEARS and have never had a problem.
There is a lot of discretion used in the knife laws... as we all know.
However if a cop decided to be pedantic, then I am sure he could make life hard for you.
Personally I pay very little attention to the knife laws, other than to make sure that I remove any sheath knives that I have, if I was to enter a shop on the way home from a nights shooting.
I live in a country area and the police here tend to operate in a different way to many inner city forces.
They know that most of us have an axe, knife, chain, machete etc in the 4x4, but they never bother us, mainly due to the fact that all of the above are regarded as tools in this area, and not something to use as a weapon.

Come the high winds, snow and floods, all of the above are required to be in the truck. We are lucky here to have a fairly tolerant force, but as previously mentioned, they could get nasty if they wanted to.

same here, I've been carrying a multitool since I was about 15 (27 now) and never had a problem, I even used to have the head of form 5 in my secondary school borrow it on a regular basis while I was there! My leatherman surge comes with me everywhere, it lives in a pouch in my 'man bag'

I can very much appreciate that different rules apply when going up to Manchester to see my girlfriend, which is why I'm looking at getting a spyderco uk edc fo when I'm up there..

I bet if the blade was not part of a multi toll you would have a different response.

I am the Site Manager at a school, and I take my leatherman in every day, and I use many times through out the day.

No one has complained.mind you if they did they would be in for it HHHEEEE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE