what did everyone think then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Lurch said:
It just saddens me (if that's the right phrase) that people are complaining because it wasn't what they wanted it to be and yet still watch it - almost to have something to complain about.
I think it's obvious that people watch it. It's a show with RM and maybe it gets better in the following chapters. The question of the thread was "what did everyone think then" and people are posting their opinions. I don't think they watch it just to have something to complain about, but to see if they could learn a new trick or two. :wink:

Cheers.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
mmmmmmmmm whiskyMac :wink:

I have a video by the swedish version of RM and even that is good (and understandable) with a whiskyMac in your hand!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Gary said:
mmmmmmmmm whiskyMac :wink:

I have a video by the swedish version of RM and even that is good (and understandable) with a whiskyMac in your hand!

Ray Mears (for it is he) stands beside a small fire, next to a muppet in a white chefs hat and gown: "Hurgy wurgy vurgy burghy"

Sweedish Chef Muppet (for it is also he): "I beg your pardon?"

With apologies to our resident vikings... :lol:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
OK, this thread as gone way, way, way off course now and is getting silly.

The question was "what did you think ..." ... not about chefs, whiskeyMacs or whatever else. If you feel really strongly either way about the program, remember that posting here will not change anything, if you really have strong feelings either way, the BBC, Woodlore or Terry Wogan on "Points of View" would probably love to hear from you.

Let's get this thread back on track ... and please remember that we have lots of other interesting threads here apart from this one!

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
As one whos not greatly versed in Bushcraft as some of you are, I have found his programs pretty interesting.
Ok I dont see too much `craft` going on but I have found that just looking at how he sets up camp and him organising his gear to be helpfull.

Apart from the first show being true back to basics it does feel a little like going over the same ground. I wonder if the next series will be more about the craft over here in the UK, a tactic that would round the new shows off nicely I reckon !

Fingers crossed :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
From what I can read of what people think about his programmes you don't like them that much. Especially not the first shows.

"It's difficult to repeat a succes".
I also think he must stop publishing more books. Some of them are just the same but in hardback/paperback/cut down to the essentials, etc. If Woodlore wants succes I think it would be a good idea to re produce the Survival Handbook... It would make a great deal of money! :wink:

Cheers,

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
tomtom said:
thats a good idea only if it is his aim to make a lot of money... perhaps that is not what he wishes to do.
No, I don't think so either, but it would both serve Woodlore, the publisher and the public. :wink: I guess Woodlore is here to learn people bushcraft skills, but it's also a money business. (Take a look at their prices on kit especially :roll: )

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
OK,
You have set up a topic on the latest Mr Mears TV slot, inviting comments. Once there is something derogatory said against Mr Mears all guilty parties are soon shot down for going against the majority. We are OK to say what we like as long as it does not offend the majority. If you intended for the forum topic to be for those who are yes men, then why not re-label the topic, only for those that worship Mr Mears.
Mr mears could have probably condensed the show into a good half hour slot, but no he has filled the time with a lot of repeats to span the hour. OK some of us do expect a little more from Mr Mears, but the man has to take the responsibility for that, it is us the viewer who has put him where he is today, he is not there because he thinks he is Mr Bushcraft. No just there out of popularity, viewing numbers etc. Time for the man to step aside and follow his own interests.

Ahh only Kidding Ray.

DON’T TAKE BUSHCRAFT TO SERIOUS GUYS

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I’m not going to argue about this, the way I see it is that there is no need to be derogatory about anyone, it’s not the fact that it’s Ray - I feel the same when it's about anyone - it’s the fact that the thread has got off course. A few times now moderators and myself have asked for this thread to stay on course and not go off on a tangent about personal aspects of people, drinking and other non relative subjects.

The sarcasm directed at the moderators is also unappreciated and you’ve been told before that if you don’t like it here, don’t stay. It’s funny how some people seem to get very serious about their supposed right to say what they like, about who they like, and yet tell others not to take bushcraft so seriously.

If you want to challenge the authority of the mods go right ahead. Remember though that this place is kept in order by them and they work really hard to make it a great place, doing as they ask is showing respect for what they do, you don’t have to always agree with it, you just need to do it. And again, if that’s too much to ask then find somewhere else that satisfies you.

We’ll open a new thread next week for the next show, this is getting way too unwieldy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE