what did everyone think then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
You should all call round and see my holiday videos....

I get moved to tears occasionally myself, In the company of all sorts of peculiar "tribal" people, usually immediately after receiving the CC chitty from the bar.

J

Jamie

so its no longer a firesteel....but a sparkstick........... wonder whats going on there?

And hes off to the Himalayas on Sunday...oh no sorry thats the REAL Michael Palin

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:roll: :roll:

How many more are there left?
You got to see that Ray is also trying to show the un-educated (in thhis sense) the reality of these people lives and how they should be nurtured. I think he did it admirably.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Another good one - It doesn't matter that he is covering some of the same ground, what is interesting is seeing the same people and their, and Ray's development over the years.

Good to see the obvious enjoyment of the archery sequences. Although I shoot target and field, some of the most enjoyable times I've had with a bow and arrow have been roving and stump shooting in the woods with family and friends.

If my memory serves, the knife is a Woodlore one, but when I was on a course with Ray some years ago, the instructors had Woodlore knives with Reindeer horn handles (I think) - maybe thats what it is? - And before everybody moans about kit being mentioned, whats wrong with that - I and loads of people happen to like gadgets and kit - I don't moan at the minimilists, so live and let live :)

Graham

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Frogo said:
Sorry Folks,

But the guy is still repeating him self, I think Mr Mears is loosing it.
Was he a lot slimmer in those old clips, every time you see the guy he’s eating.

Titchmarsh, is far more interesting. :biggthump

Why watch it then? Stick with Mr Titchmarsh and have a happy life :biggthump

I’m surprised at how pedantic you lot are, so what if he says spark rod, so what if it’s a bit of a travel show and comparable to his old series.

I was disappointed that the series was not about the UK and about stuff that we can relate to a bit more than the Amazon or Africa. But, it’s still good to watch and I really don’t see the point in moaning about it. If you don’t like it don’t watch it.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
You just keep watching wondering if it’s going to get any better and it doesn’t, so I guess you are right Tony, I will stick with Mr Titchmarsh.

leon-1

Well apart from the way that Ray modifies his kit for different enviroments ie, from the jungle to the the semi arid, I found some of his references to tracking quite interesting, the method, style and terminology was very familiar to some of the teachings that I have heard recently :wink:.

If nothing else people must appreciate the logistics of mounting a program like this. The amount of kit that a film crew carries is immense and even when they travel light they don't exactly have a small amount of kit. :)

People should notice that Ray is far from minimalist as well, there is always a certain amount of safety equipment that goes and the "just in case kit", on previous programs you did not always get the sense of that, whereas on this one I have :)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
As I have said before - look beyond the window dressing - there is still much to learn!

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
leon-1 said:
People should notice that Ray is far from minimalist as well, there is always a certain amount of safety equipment that goes and the "just in case kit", on previous programs you did not always get the sense of that, whereas on this one I have :)
Yeah, it was interesting to compare what he was carrying to what his mate was when they were wandering around in the bush - Ray had a daypack, mate had a bow and arrows (and a head stuffed full of local knowledge)!

One of the things I've enjoyed most about the series so far is how Ray seems to be consciously stepping back from being "The Expert", and we see him getting things wrong and making little mistakes

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
They have them quite inspiring it doesn't matter to me were you are in the world the basic principles of Bushcraft are the same. I think he is simply tyring to open the eyes of people new to the this side of the outdoors that might not watch if it was called a survival programme and as skills based as we might like.

My thoughts
James

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I have to agree with James, what Ray is doing is showing us that the basic skills required to live are the same the world over. As indigenous people using traditional skills becomes fewer and fewer it is important that people like Ray and the whole of the membership of BCUK keep these skills alive and make the rest of the populace aware of them otherwise the knowledge WILL be lost.
Go on Ray sock it to them.

I have to admit though that I was expecting the programme to be based on a UK environment but mayby I got the wrong end of the stick, it's still one of the best shows on telly at the moment.

Cheers

JFW

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Tony said:
Why watch it then? Stick with Mr Titchmarsh and have a happy life :biggthump

I’m surprised at how pedantic you lot are, so what if he says spark rod, so what if it’s a bit of a travel show and comparable to his old series.

I was disappointed that the series was not about the UK and about stuff that we can relate to a bit more than the Amazon or Africa. But, it’s still good to watch and I really don’t see the point in moaning about it. If you don’t like it don’t watch it.

Bang on Tony.
I'm really sick of the moaning about the show, it's just TV and therefore entertainment. I reckon it's good entertainment. If you want to learn Bushcraft the Ray way, book a blimmin course and pack in the whinging.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
JFW said:
I have to admit though that I was expecting the programme to be based on a UK environment but mayby I got the wrong end of the stick, it's still one of the best shows on telly at the moment.

Cheers

JFW
Thinking about this, I reckon that one of his aims was to show that bushcraft skills are alive, used, relevant, and important. To do this, he needs to go to areas where these skills are being used to support life.

It's all too easy to dismiss UK bushcrafters are "harmless eccentrics" (or worse) cos we don't actually need to do these things to survive

Having established the importance of bushcraft with these introductory programmes, he'd have an opportunity to show how the same skills can be used to enhance our lives in the UK - whether he will or not remains to be seen...

Either way, little else happens chez boaty while the programme is on - the older kids (8 & 10) love the show and manage not to chatter all the way through: not even Coronation Street achieves that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE