what did everyone think then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
tenbears10 said:
Andy, I think the second book is just the current Bushcraft with a different cover. I might be wrong and prepare to stand corrected.

Bill
Perhaps you're right. :wink: But if so, I think it's confusing. They gotta stop publishing new books all the time, cause he has already covered all basics and advanced's on the subject. :shock:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
that may be the case. I dont really think so but there are books around which will cover the areas others fall short in. But thats not the point, the point is they can make money. If they want to reprint the same book and only make very small changes why not put a different cover on it?

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Andy said:
not good IMO. And you guys are going on about kit again

I also thought it a bit odd that the locaks were so down on that guy because he couldn't make a tin or cooking pot.

What so of stones would you find in a jungle that could be used for cutting tools?

I think you are missing the point. I think that Gary was taking the mick when he brought up kit (God forbid).

And regarding you comments on tins and cooking pots, I think that the locals just intended to emphazise to him, how things we rely on in the 'civilised' world cannot be improvised simply like the tools natives use.

Sorry, not the best constructed sentences.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Right, well ithought the first one was great, but then it just went Ray Mears sunshine coach Tours.
That said - I have perfected 2 of the 3 knots Ray used and failed to explain.
And used em pitching my basha on Saturday
I watched the kids in the canoe doing a "Pry on the move" stroke and played with this out paddling on Sunday....
So for all its faults, Rays new series has "shown us the doors" its upto us to walk through them and explore :nana:

Rich

J

Jamie

Roving Rich said:
So for all its faults, Rays new series has "shown us the doors" its upto us to walk through them and explore :nana: Rich

Sadly, Rich, I dont think it did much for opening the doors for people who arent versed, to whatever degree, in bushcraft. To open the doors for them, they need to realise that they are able to experience this in our own backyard with some fine schools, or with friends etc. Going to the Amazon and showing what he has shown is, as you say, a coach tour for those sat at home which is fine, but these programs are ten a penny whereas an educational program would have been more exciting for both us and the general public.

I know that he is looking for the 'wider market' but I think that its such a shame that an ideal opportunity to teach people wbout our very rich and long heritage is being squandered......in the first episode the stuff on flint knapping or bow making etc could have taken up an hour long show in their own right.

Is this really education?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ray once told me that any book on bushcraft (no matter how crap) has its good points and its bad points and that as such it was up to the reader to decide which were which. Wise words I thought then and still think now (saved me chucking many a manual too).

Now taking that point a stage further many people will read a book, internet website or watch a tv programme and take all they see as gospel while others will inwardly digest the information and take from it only that which is of use to them.

And this is the trick (Try it next time you watch a BUSHCRAFT programme) whether your watch Ray Mears or Mors Kochanski dont watch what they are doing watch how they do it - more importantly watch out for what they have already done. For example in the Kochanski videos prior to filming he has insulated the ground below him by laying spruce boughs on the snow that is as important as how to make the snow sheo he is teaching you. And the same with Mears for there is alway info to be gleaned by those with a clever ey and a questing mind.

Of course on the flip side dont also be the mug who easily swallows all he sees and hears - ASK WHY? MORE IMPORTANTLY ASK CAN I USE THIS INFORMATION AND ADAPT IT TO MY ENVIROMENT?

Lastly, as I dont wanna be accused of boring you all too, dont fall into the kit trap, just like with the skills ask yourself is that item is going to work in my enviroment - if in doubt save your money and spend it on doing Bushcraft because you can never buy it!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Jamie said:
...in the first episode the stuff on flint knapping or bow making etc could have taken up an hour long show in their own right.

that would - I suspect - have been very, very boring television for the majority of people who might have tuned in to such a programme.

Let's face it folks: the vast majority of people who might tune in to such a programme are not at all interested in what we do. Not one jot. They would think to themselves "wierdos" or "Survival freaks" whilst nodding their heads and smiling as we described to them our activities.

If the programme can change even a tiny proportion of viewers minds about this then surely it could be counted as a success for us? There's no doubt that there's bushcraft in those programmes, and it's obvious that Ray is enthusiastic about the subject - hopefully some of that enthusiasm might be contageous through the TV.

OK. Maybe it's not what we want, but we're a tiny, tiny minority. And if we want to be heard with our view about how bushcraft should be presented on television, then maybe we should shout louder.

J

Jamie

Womble said:
that would - I suspect - have been very, very boring television for the majority of people who might have tuned in to such a programme.

My point wasnt that it SHOULD have been an hours programming on flint knapping etc, but I used that more to highlight the fact that we have a wealth of history, heritage and Britsh bushcraft right here in the UK and it would, IMHO, have been far more constructive in getting a wider audience outdoors enjoying what we do.

Most people will look at the programmes in the Amazon and think that there is no way that they could ever (or perhaps never want to) go and do something like that, however if it was related to the UK then more people might realise that they can explore and have fun over here.

Staging it abroad, again IMHO, would have more of a tendency to alienate people who might have had an interest if it could be shown that you can gain a raft of experience and experiences in the UK without having to go abroad.

It is just my opinion and, although I enjoyed the programmes, I do feel that it is an opportunity lost.........

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
totaly agree with gary there, in the woodlore dvds there are a lot of well placed fingers rather than being told which is great as it makes your mind work and its nice to be able to notice things going on in the background too,on a different note am i the only one who sat down to watch some tv the other night because i just wanted to stair and ignore something when i saw an aboriginal doing a hand drill and got all exited only for it to be advert for a bank!!!! well gutted, also one thing i learnt from kephart is amongst alot of other things is how to spell waugun stick :wink:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Jamie said:
Most people will look at the programmes in the Amazon and think that there is no way that they could ever (or perhaps never want to) go and do something like that, however if it was related to the UK then more people might realise that they can explore and have fun over here.

It is just my opinion and, although I enjoyed the programmes, I do feel that it is an opportunity lost.........

Yeah, I think you're right there.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Just a thought (although in a 'lively debate' someone told me "once you've typed it, it is no longer just a thought" hmmm).
If people are so adamant that we should have seen a load of UK based stuff, why don't you approach a TV production company and do one yourselves?
After all quite a lot of you have a wealth of experience, could be a goer that?
That said I'm enjoying the series at face value, I think it might have been a bit dry if it were a 'how to' show.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just a thought Lurch, :rolmao: but production companies dont work that way - Ray's minor celebrity took a long time coming. Joe bloggs off the street wouldnt get a foot in the door.

If it were that simple we'd have some really excellent TV and people like the BBC's PROGRAMMING dept would all be out of jobs!

In the US I believe you can pay to make your own tv (bit like vanity publishing here) but as hasbeen pointed out elsewhere we bushcrafters are only a pimp on a ducks behind when it comes to the viewing public. Outside of Bushcraft circles in the UK Ray is an unknown so what company in its right mind would touch anyone else.

Unfortunately I think they have to come to you or its not at all - nice thought though I always fancied myself as a game show host! :rolmao:

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Gary said:
Just a thought Lurch, :rolmao: but production companies dont work that way - Ray's minor celebrity took a long time coming. Joe bloggs off the street wouldnt get a foot in the door.

I'm sure you're right, however there are a lot of channels these days and I'm thinking that a UK based bushcraft thingy wouldn't cost much (relatively!) to film. Having seen the popularity of Ray's stuff, I'm a bit surprised that we haven't seen a handful of 'me toos'.
I guess it probably would need a 'face' to launch.

J

JeremyH

Gary,

You'd make the perfect game show host - :You_Rock_ - nice to see ya to see ya nice! :roll:

jeremyh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE