What choice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
This is the one I have got. It works really well and can produce 40 to 60% alcohol for around 50p a 70cl bottle (for hand sanitising only :))

Actually, my understanding is that it is not illegal to produce small amounts of alcohol as oong as you do not distribute it (sell or give away).

We may have to chat further on this Broc. Are you mostly happy with your Still?

Reactions: Orhdposs

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We may have to chat further on this Broc. Are you mostly happy with your Still?

Yes, it works and it's good value compared to some others (though I paid a bit less for it 18 months ago). A friend of mine has one and adjusted the thermostat to exactly 78 degrees - apparently that is the ideal temperature - I don't know, I haven't bothered.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I used to have a guy make the spirit and add the whiskey flavour to it was not that bad when you've had one or two all taste the same.

No, No, No NO, No --- you cannot make a good tasting malt using these stills :) If you drink Bells blended, fine have a go, but you'll never get a Caol Ila or a Laphroaig.

Last edited:

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
No, No, No NO, No --- you cannot make a good tasting malt using these stills :) If you drink Bells blended, fine have a go, but you'll never get a Caol Isla or a Laphroaig.
My tipple is AUR CYMRU or a small Beer Dragon Stout.

Reactions: Broch

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have heard that beer put in the freezer results in ice (water) and alcohol. Remove ice and you are left with alcohol which can be flavoured. However, my informant who also told me that shops in rural Ireland se small bottles of whiskey and brandy flavouring, may have been extracting the Michael in his usual Irish fashion. We were in the pub at the time.

i have not tried this method but am tempted to do so annually on the first of April.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE