What choice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
Ok lots to do now been stuck at home got lots of boys toy but always need more.
So buy a metal detector
or
Still to make home made spirit

Just answer metal or spirit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Spirit. I;ve been toying with getting an Airstill for some time.

( Just a thought - I see quite a lot of second Metal Detectors come onto FB marketplace , I don't see so many Second hand Stills.. Maybe that should tell us something? )

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy and Orhdposs

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
Spirit. I;ve been toying with getting an Airstill for some time.

( Just a thought - I see quite a lot of second Metal Detectors come onto FB marketplace , I don't see so many Second hand Stills.. Maybe that should tell us something? )
I searched Fleabay spirit still it came up with a 50L second hand one well over £1000 new would be about £ 2700 but it was the bee knees

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Reactions: Orhdposs

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, no, no.....just look for an Alembic on eBay :) Much more reasonably priced :)

or you can use a pressure cooker and a bit of copper tubing and a seperating gravy/grease jug set in ice.

M

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex

Copy this link
No, no, no.....just look for an Alembic on eBay :) Much more reasonably priced :)

or you can use a pressure cooker and a bit of copper tubing and a seperating gravy/grease jug set in ice.

M
The ones I see were all singing all dancing leave alone they do the work temp control etc.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

M

< Thinking to himself....Toddy has a History.......And a dark skill set >

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Copy this link

The ones I see were all singing all dancing leave alone they do the work temp control etc.

.....and will get you a visit from the Revenue men :rolleyes:
Pressure cookers or wee stills to make essential oils are much less likely to attract interest.....both are very useful tools, you understand :)

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
.....and will get you a visit from the Revenue men :rolleyes:
Pressure cookers or wee stills to make essential oils are much less likely to attract interest.....both are very useful tools, you understand :)
Silly it was for hand sanitizer.

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I do apologise no offence intended, I suppose we should all use the neutral gender word Person?

I hope we are not at that point yet. Just informing you and I'm sure Toddy took no offence at it. She didn't seem to take offence at me thinking her a prohibition kingpin ( or should that be QueenPin??? )

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
I hope we are not at that point yet. Just informing you and I'm sure Toddy took no offence at it. She didn't seem to take offence at me thinking her a prohibition kingpin ( or should that be QueenPin??? )
Prohibition Kingpin, now you mention it Toddy is what my Dad used to give me at Christmas when I was little, Tea with a dram in it he always called it a Toddy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:)

No offence taken, and hopefully none given.

I wanted non denatured alcohol to make tinctures, and I know that if I got my distilling wrong then ethanol and methanol are really not good things to get wrong.
Comments about moonshine making folks go blind have a grounding in truth unfortunately. Just be really wary of the first bit of the distillation.

Hadn't thought about using the stuff for hand sanitisers .....were we not advised not to use vodka to do that though ? it's blooming hard to make your own alcohol as easily as it is to buy a bottle of vodka.

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
This is the one I have got. It works really well and can produce 40 to 60% alcohol for around 50p a 70cl bottle (for hand sanitising only :))

Actually, my understanding is that it is not illegal to produce small amounts of alcohol as oong as you do not distribute it (sell or give away).

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
:)

No offence taken, and hopefully none given.

I wanted non denatured alcohol to make tinctures, and I know that if I got my distilling wrong then ethanol and methanol are really not good things to get wrong.
Comments about moonshine making folks go blind have a grounding in truth unfortunately. Just be really wary of the first bit of the distillation.

Hadn't thought about using the stuff for hand sanitisers .....were we not advised not to use vodka to do that though ? it's blooming hard to make your own alcohol as easily as it is to buy a bottle of vodka.

M
None taken, still got to be able to joke in these hard times, Tincture I keep Bees and Propolis make a good Tincture I normally just chew It. Non denatured alcohol can't you buy it I have a little bit my son got me he was in the print till they stopped using it to clean down with.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hadn't thought about using the stuff for hand sanitisers .....were we not advised not to use vodka to do that though ?

40% isn't really high enough for an effective sanitiser but - the first 20 - 40 mL that come out of my still is rocket fuel and would be good; as you say, must not be drunk. Apparently, there is typically more methanol in a bottle of Scotch than you will get out of home distilling but I'm not sure if I believe that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE