what can i use to finish my wooden cup?

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi,
I am nearing the completion of my first carved cup/guksi/kuksi/kuksa.
And wood like to ask the experienced people what i can use to seal/polish it so i can use it for soup/coffee.
This is my very first attempt at making one and i have tried to use only a spoke shave, a had made bow saw (see my previous post) a mora carving knife and mora crook knives.
I did cheat however with the holes in the handle as i wanted these as good as possible, i used a hole saw for them.
any way thanks for the kind advise
Cheers
Bill

006.jpg

007.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

024.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking really good there Billy goodjob

If you're intending it to be used then I'd suggest any food grade finish oil would be fine to treat it. Walnut oil is quite good for that :)

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've made various bits for hot and cold liquids and notmally used Tung oil. Is that Ash? I've made kuksa's from ash before and just left them to colour up and seal from the drinks that have been put in them, worked a treat!

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Yeah it's ash, I have been burning it all year in my wood stove in the house, the wood must be over ten years felled and it's been in my wood shed for about two years, slowly running out of it now.
So I decided to make a few things with it, only wish I hadn't burnt as much now,

Treestalker

May 26, 2012
Wirral
I'm new to this game and might not be right, but I read somewhere about grape seed oil, I used it on my kuksa (my first carving! Pics later...) it has a slight green tinge, don't know if that matters? And it doesn't seem to leave a weird taste like I believe other oils might! I found it in the supermarket for about £2

Cracking work by the way! Can't wait to see her oiled up, it always brings out the warmth of the wood!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The flax seed oil mentioned by John is in fact raw linseed oil (as opposed to boiled)....works great on wood though does have a strong taste & smell......I'd go with the others on walnut oil, there's also hazelnut oil which has a less 'flavour' :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE