What can i make from this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Out yesterday and found this on a freshly felled tree.

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

Its about 8 inch in diameter and it sits level on its own so i was thinking about a small bowl.

Should i be aware of any potential spilitting or anything?

Any help would be appreciated :D

Cheers
Scott

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Looking at that it screams bowl to me, although where to begin I have not a clue. There's plenty of skilled wood carvers and makers on here though so it won't be long before you get some advice I'm sure.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Kuksa! If on the small side after removing material for the handle it'd still be great for spirits/expressos

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am not absolutely certain but I don't think the wood is toxic.

But.. this is a horrible bit of wood... you should send it to me for proper disposal as soon as possible....:p

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Im sure its non toxic..I checked before as i have made a couple of spoons in the past.

Also you can make rowan jelly which i'm told is good with game.

I'm going to start the bowl tomorrow if i get some time :rolleyes:

Cheers
Scott

Tiger Eyes

Dec 3, 2007
Norfolk
Thats a Silver Birch burr not a Rowan so it should be OK to make something but watchout for splits. To try and prevent splitting you can carve it wet but leave it thick then let it dry for about a month before finishing the carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE