What bushcraft skills are you learning/practicing at the moment?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Tree and plant ident for me
yup same here mate, so much to learn, I find it a tricky subject to make stick
as im not really that way inclined, but its such a vital skill it needs to be in the bag. I have spent a lot of the winter evening increasing my knot
knowledge via our friend youtube also some para cord weaves I find pretty therapeutic and takes me away from the evil that is TV

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Greenwood work. I'm going to make a Lord of the Rings themed utensil when I next find suitable greenwood. Then I'm starting on bowls and cups. I'm currently identifying and researching whenever I walk in the woods. I plan to start leather work sometime this year too.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Spring is on the way so I'm back into identifying everything in sight mode, although currently I am working at learning to identify ferns.

On the skills side, just getting out overnight occasionally would be nice.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Not much on this end except to try my hand at flint and steel. My wife bought me a flint/steel charcloth tin for Christmas and I've only just got around to it. I'm also brushing up on my weather prediction just from cloud observations.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Everything for me.
I've got a fair bit of working knowledge around knives and carving as I've been doing it a long time. But that's something I'm always doing and working on.

The main skill I'm working towards at the moment is learning what everything is. I know my oaks from my pines, but there are plenty of trees I don't know. And plants I'm useless at.

Hunting and accuracy is another thing I like to improve on. Spear, stone and catapult mainly.

Knotts is another I am actively learning at the moment.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
This winter i was pretty quiet. Kept my hand in bowdrill fires and some sewing of a wool anorak but i have some things planned for May in terms of edible plants, and natural cordage. Bill

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
Do you ever stop practicing any of them.

At the moment, firelighting in the wet with only natural finds and flint and steel, wood carving and plant recognition.

Mar 24, 2014
witham essex
I have just started getting intrested in bushcraft could anyone suggest some basic areas to start leaning.imm learning some knots at the minute

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
As an attentive hunter-gatherer, I'm working out the cold water (relative to my locale) habits and effective techniques of catching ole Micropterus salmoides! :D :fishing: :D

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I'm trying to perfect my sharpening and honing. I knocked up my first full sized stropping board yesterday and a managed to get a wicked edge on a hultafors with some tormek paste. I never seem to get a consistently good edge when sharpening so a lot more practice is needed.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Plant i.d. and fire lighting are the main two at the moment but pretty much everything gets practised at some point or other!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Been playing with the axe all day filling a sea chest with kindling. Nothing too skilled really just find it pretty ZEN chopping wood.

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

2014-03-14%25202014%2520March%252014th.jpg

Plus then I get to sit by a toasty stove once lit (with flint and steel I might add :))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE