What beekeeping related activities did you do recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I had a look in 5 hives today, was really pleased that the two splits I did have successfully mated queens and one of them has wall to wall brood on 4 out of 6 frames, my concern is them having enough food going into the June gap.

I've just looked at the two nucs I split from a double brood colony a few weeks back. Both now have laying queens and I've been keeping an eye on their stores. I've just put a feeder on top of one with a super frame of stores from the original colony. (I do like the BS Honey Poly Nucs as I've found the design is very flexible such as being able to put a whole super frame in the feeder.).

Reactions: MrEd and SaraR

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I bought a BS box at Tradex this year, I've not needed to use it yet but I didn't know you could fit a whole frame in the feeder. Thanks!!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The last couple of weeks there's not been much nectar coming in so I've been keeping an eye on our colonies stores. Today they they seem to have found something providing nectar somewhere. Some rain will help.

A couple of other things worth mentioning. When I started keeping bees I tended to inspect them in late afternoon, probably that's when many keepers inspect if they're not at home during the day. Recently I've tried inspecting earlier, around midday and the bees seem more relaxed and less defensive.

I've also just started marking some of my queens this year and I've concluded there're not much easier to spot. Today I inspected a colony where the queen isn't marked but she is always on a frame when I inspect so I always see her. I've found in some other colonies the queen often seems to hide and even when marked she can be hard to spot.

Reactions: SaraR

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My back yard doesn't get sprayed . The dandelions are the size of romaine lettuce with flowers, too. Have at it, bees.

I didn't prune the apple trees even by pink stage this year. I'll wait until after petal drop. Have at them, bees.

The grapes are slow, snow flurries expected almost every night I( a grunt, living in the mountains, sometimes).
Lots of die back to cut off and the bumble bees can do the rest.

Those are my bee to do things.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Relocated my 2 TBH's and cleaned them up. To my surprised I found a fresh and clean rate. Must've been built last year, but I suspect the bees left the hive, because the sewage ventilation pipes were to near.
Bad air, I think.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The perfect hive inspection weather this morning managed to turn before I had a chance to get out to the apiary. So instead of a full inspection, I had a quick peak through the queen excluders and put another super on two of the hives. The bees looked active and content so I'm happy so far. :)

Photo of hives before new supers going on:_OI000746.JPG

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Relocated my 2 TBH's and cleaned them up. To my surprised I found a fresh and clean rate. Must've been built last year, but I suspect the bees left the hive, because the sewage ventilation pipes were to near.
Bad air, I think.

How do you get on with top bar hives? I have the wood to make a couple of my own but not got round to it yet.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Photo of hives before new supers going on:

Interesting, so you run your hives 'warm way', i.e. frames parallel to the front. Have you always done that or tried 'cold way' at all?

We've always run cold way as that's what our local BKA apiary does but wandering about trying a hive or two the other way around.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I've tried both ways and not seen any difference but as you know bees are so variable between colonies anyway so it's hard to compare. I tend to run mine the warm way purely because it's easier to lift boxes off from the rear of the hive (with national boxes anyway)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Interesting, so you run your hives 'warm way', i.e. frames parallel to the front. Have you always done that or tried 'cold way' at all?

We've always run cold way as that's what our local BKA apiary does but wandering about trying a hive or two the other way around.
It's all down to it being easier to lift that way. :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
How do you get on with top bar hives? I have the wood to make a couple of my own but not got round to it yet.

I am not. Had 2 hives with populations, but both starved due to being weak and having a bad, dry season. They didn't make it through the following winter.
And since bees have become excessively expensive here I was not able to get new ones either.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I am not. Had 2 hives with populations, but both starved due to being weak and having a bad, dry season. They didn't make it through the following winter.
And since bees have become excessively expensive here I was not able to get new ones either.

Are you able to catch swarms where you are in Sweden? I guess if you were able to they would be wild swarms. In the UK we are much more densely populated and have more beekeepers in a smaller area so swarms are quite easy to come by. What would a colony of bees cost in Sweden? From a dealer here you would pay about £200 (2300SEK) ish for a nucleus colony with a known queen or possibly half that if you found a beekeeper selling one.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Are you able to catch swarms where you are in Sweden?
I hadn't realised you lived in Sweden @RonW Have you got any experience of trågkupor at all? I took up beekeeping after moving to Wales, so I only "know" British beekeeping so to speak, but they seem really interesting.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Are you able to catch swarms where you are in Sweden? I guess if you were able to they would be wild swarms. In the UK we are much more densely populated and have more beekeepers in a smaller area so swarms are quite easy to come by. What would a colony of bees cost in Sweden? From a dealer here you would pay about £200 (2300SEK) ish for a nucleus colony with a known queen or possibly half that if you found a beekeeper selling one.

A split off with 10 frames and a queen is around 3000SEK. Complete hives I've seen being sold for anything between 4000 and 5000SEK
I am hoping for a swarm. We have been seeing exceptionally many bees, dark ones and yellow ones, in our garden this spring during the dandelion bloom. So there are populations nearby.

I hadn't realised you lived in Sweden @RonW Have you got any experience of trågkupor at all? I took up beekeeping after moving to Wales, so I only "know" British beekeeping so to speak, but they seem really interesting.
No, I haven't. I had only one opportunity to have a look at a pair some years ago. They are too big for my liking.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
A split off with 10 frames and a queen is around 3000SEK. Complete hives I've seen being sold for anything between 4000 and 5000SEK
I am hoping for a swarm. We have been seeing exceptionally many bees, dark ones and yellow ones, in our garden this spring during the dandelion bloom. So there are populations nearby.

Are you able to buy a swarm lure (pheromone) in Sweden? If not I could send you some of my homemade swarm attractant FOC if you like? I've found it to work really well, I done a lot of research and testing to development it. It's in liquid form so I just put it on a piece of something absorbent and wrap it in cling film with a couple of pin holes in it. You only need a few drops. I also leave some old comb in the box to make it even more attractive and so the new queen can start laying straight away.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Caught our first swarm ever today. It was only a little one and perfectly situated, so it was as easy as you could have hoped for. :D Let's just hope the little ladies don't abscond now!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I had some Honey on my toast.

Also got stung by a Bumble Bee..

Karma evening up the cosmic scales I guess.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Never been stung by a bumble bee, or a hornet for that mater. Got a couple of stings from our latest queen honey bee today and I hope that's not a taste of things to come or she'll be introduced to the gate post at some point...

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Caught our first swarm ever today. It was only a little one and perfectly situated, so it was as easy as you could have hoped for. :D Let's just hope the little ladies don't abscond now!

Was it from you own hives or from somewhere else? The June gap seems to be over around here so hives are filling up again so I expect swarms are more likely that a few weeks ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE