Bee hive inspection photos! More bee pictures!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
some of you seemed interested last time, so here are a few more pictures:

the smoker, smoke is best thin rather than thick as it only requires little to calm them:

imagejpg1_zpsb81379f6.jpg

a shot of a smaller filled super (honey) frame:

imagejpg3_zps8cef9a6e.jpg

top of the super:

imagejpg2_zps91e889bc.jpg

propolis, bee glue, on the frames of the new brood box_ the smallest hive of a swarm we captured from the originals:

imagejpg3_zps2fe61bf8.jpg

a lovely heavy frame of heavy, when it is capped a bit more it will be ready for harvest - at around Saturday:

imagejpg1_zpseee2d380.jpg

bees feasting on nectar/honey/pollen in a tiny bit of brace comb on top of a super frame:

imagejpg2_zpsd81773ae.jpg

me inspecting a brood frame. the brown capped cells contained the fertilised eggs layed by the queen and also some grubs. if you can spot huge bees they are the drones, the only male bees who's sole job is to mate with the queen, some honey stores also. the haze of "icing sugar" on the bees backs is from collecting nectar and pollen (their protein source) from Himalayan balsam. the brace comb on the bottom is removed by the hive tool which is present in my hand:

imagejpg2_zps1fdd9ce7.jpg

imagejpg3_zps3fd72173.jpg

imagejpg1_zps710d19c6.jpg

imagejpg2_zps41b5b5d7.jpg

the crown board when removed:

imagejpg3_zps83396228.jpg

bees brushed off:

imagejpg1_zps1cb67551.jpg

brace comb removed:

imagejpg2_zps2a7c126c.jpg

roof wiped down:

imagejpg3_zpsd2d10105.jpg

these are photos from the two newest hives, they are just under a year younger than the biggest and original hive. this is why the hive is much cleaner I general than the older one, which we did not get any photos off bottom they are a more aggressive hive than the others due to who the queen present in that hive has mated with. I find it very interesting so sorry if I've babbled- hope you enjoyed them! :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Here's something, if I could put up a few bits of honey , comb or runny for sale/ trade- in an very limited supply and it still might not happen, would anyone be interested?

I can vouch for flavour! It also has good healing and antibacterial qualities :D.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Fascinating stuff, sheriff! I'd certainly be mad keen for a bit of honey if there was some spare, can't think of anything nicer :-

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Really interesting. Cheers. I find bees magical!
If you're inundated with requests, don't worry, but I'd be very keen to try your honey.

Cheers mate! I'm only getting small amounts and it'll never be anything at all commercial, but as small amounts that are surplus for us are available it would be nice for others to try - I'll keep everyone posted :).

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good Post Cameron , being a Bee Steward is on of the constant things on my 'to do' list.

Great Photos.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
If you ever want to make mead Cam, I'll happily send you all the gubbins you need

Absolute legend! Your a proper gent you mate! I would love to make it- absolutely something we'll try in future- we might harvest a full super at the end of this season or possibly next year but we will do it on the future! Raspberry mead sounds a winner :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great stuff Cameron, it's lovely to see how different folk work away with their bees. (I used to keep bees on the farm I lived on). I especially like the picture of the bee council,

Best bit of advice I was ever given for bee handling was, "don't drink alcohol for up to 24 hours before handling them". They don't seem to like drinkers, though hopefully that won't be a problem at your age!

Cheers for keeping us in on your apiary hobby.
GB.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great stuff Cameron, it's lovely to see how different folk work away with their bees. (I used to keep bees on the farm I lived on). I especially like the picture of the bee council,

Best bit of advice I was ever given for bee handling was, "don't drink alcohol for up to 24 hours before handling them". They don't seem to like drinkers, though hopefully that won't be a problem at your age!

Cheers for keeping us in on your apiary hobby.
GB.

Cheers Colin! Haha that's funny- they might have a field day if someone hammered went up to them- I dread to think! And I hope too- should be more pictures coming in The future :).

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
That is brilliant. One of the few things I can't do where I am is keep bees, however I do plan too if/when I move to a bigger house. Our garden is just too small to keep a hive and have children nearby.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That is brilliant. One of the few things I can't do where I am is keep bees, however I do plan too if/when I move to a bigger house. Our garden is just too small to keep a hive and have children nearby.

Cheers mate! And in the future when you can go for it. Alternatively you could speak to a local crop farmer about permission to keep your hive on their land. It's something they'd probably be more than happy to do as the bees will help pollinate (dependant on variety) their crop. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My buddy gets paid £50 per hive to site them on OSR. Many orchards also really want bees on them - really improves pollination. Look for a community orchard or rape farmer.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
My buddy gets paid £50 per hive to site them on OSR. Many orchards also really want bees on them - really improves pollination. Look for a community orchard or rape farmer.

Sound advice- and I forgot about the orchards- with nephilim being way down south they'll probably be some apples near him. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE