What are your favorite trousers made of?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
I'm trying to get some good trail pants but I don't know what material to get. There's the NYCO (Nylon/Cotton) blends, Poly/Cotton blends, 100% Nylon, or 100% cotton.
What are your favorite trousers made of and what the advantages/disadvantages of these materials. I'd like to get some tough and quiet pants.

B

bluemountaingunworks

Leatherneck,
I prefer the 100% cotton, ripstop USGI BDU pants for most of the year. They are light, dry quickly, roomy, have large cargo pockets on the side, pretty cheap, and available in multiple camo patterns as well as solid earth tones. The only downside I have found is that they are prone to tear right above the double-knee at the seam. This is an easy fix though with a sewing machine and lots of thread to reenforce the area.

For really cold weather, I prefer wool. I have been wearing West German surplus britches for several winters. They are constructed similar to the US BDU with cargos and reenforcement on the knees. They're super warm, wear well, and are a nice gray-green color that blends in well with most environments. I have recently purchased a pair of Columbia brand Gallatin Range wool bibs. These too sport cargo pockets, muted camo pattern, reenforced knees, and are toasty warm! God Bless! Jerry

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll second that. BDU's. Poly cotton for the jungle, cotton for the arid.

Spent 10 days in the West Australian desert last year. Some of the fancy labels that people wore did not do well.

An Arizonan came looking like a refugee from desert storm but his trousers did well while others were ripped and shredded by pants and rock.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I love fjällräver. They are made of G1000 it a polyester-cotton mix if I'm not mistaken.
Great fabric. They also have pants made of MT. this is a very light and VERY fast drying fabric. ideal for summer.

Michiel

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
British military OGs - get them cheap from surplus shops. Hardwearing and dry quickly.

Alternatively, for colder locations, I use shoeller softshell pants - but that's more for climbing and stuff.

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
Thin, dark, supple leather. No problems with sparks, tough, windproof, wet still reasonably warm, silent, blends in with surroundings, cheap (just 5 euros in a 2nd hand shop), prevents cuts.

Live and Love,
Anneke

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
For any sweaty activity (like mountaineering, climbing or trekking with a big pack): Schoeller fabric!

For being in the woods and do bushcraft: polycotton or G-1000.

When it's hot: thin cotton.

Cheers,
Mike

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
poly/cotton blend. Usually 65/35 mix. Craghopper Kiwi trousers are good. I like the light colour ones for summer use.

When it is really hot, pure cotton is cooler, but in the hills, with changeable weather even in summer, I wouldn't want to wear pure cotton.

I have some wool/nylon trousers for winter 85/15 mix. They seem good, but it hasn't been anything like cold enough to use them this winter :(

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
thomasturnbull said:
British army temperate DPM are my favourite they dry out well and i wear them in all seasons :beerchug:

Agreed light, dry quickly, warm, £7 a pair :eek: , woodland colours, quick belt release straps, tensioners and comfortable.

Whada else do you need ! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE