Microscope for studies in botany & plant-related ecological formulas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, all. Bit of a two-pronged thread.

So I recently acquired a digital microscope as I'm currently studying botany/plant ecology over my college break and I've been observing and reading plant physiology/morphology. The problem is said microscope has a fairly weak magnification and is more akin to a dslr macro zoom feature than a microscope, if I'm being honest. What's the cheapest, good quality scope out there? I don't have much experience with microscopes but it's thrilling.

11855813_736622159804345_1587068158448303139_n.jpg

Also, on a related note, are there any plant ecologists on BCUK? I know there are ecologists and rangers on this forum but here I'm talking about plant ecology in particular. I'm studying general ecology on most scales, and over a variety of UK habitats, legislation and so forth, but over the past few months I've become increasingly interested in plants. I'm currently reading the 540 page tome that is The Ecology of Plants by Gurevitch et al but I'm having a bit of trouble with the formulas and statistics present in the book. Unfortunately I struggle with basic math and have most likely got some form of dyscalculia, but I'm really trying to understand statistics and have been looking at basics primers on the subject as I need to wrap my brain around it for degree level. For example, I've just been reading about the intricacies of c3 plants and their carbon uptake fluctuations and limitations based on various factors, but I slow down once I reach the formula specific to the problem. If this relates to you, could you please send me a PM? I'd love to pick your brain on plant ecology and see if perhaps there are any tricks I can use to help with the formulas.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm an ecologist (20 years ago, admittedly) and qualified adult educator. You could PM me with questions and I will try to help, though invertebrates are my speciality. Still, you learn a thing or two in 20 years. I've taught basic statistics in the past.

As for microscopes, it depends very much whether you want a steromicroscope for dissecting purposes or a bacteriological one (much higher powered, typically for looking at things on slides). The former are cheaper. Try a search for dissecting microscope, and student microscope. Amazon had a few interesting ones, and they come up on ebay too. In my experience, if you want a dissecting microscope, such as I use for looking at spiders, then a good light source is worth its weight in gold. A good microscope with a poor light is hopeless, but a cheap scope with a good light is very useable.

Look at Entomological suppliers for microscopes as well.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm an ecologist (20 years ago, admittedly) and qualified adult educator. You could PM me with questions and I will try to help, though invertebrates are my speciality. Still, you learn a thing or two in 20 years. I've taught basic statistics in the past.

As for microscopes, it depends very much whether you want a steromicroscope for dissecting purposes or a bacteriological one (much higher powered, typically for looking at things on slides). The former are cheaper. Try a search for dissecting microscope, and student microscope. Amazon had a few interesting ones, and they come up on ebay too. In my experience, if you want a dissecting microscope, such as I use for looking at spiders, then a good light source is worth its weight in gold. A good microscope with a poor light is hopeless, but a cheap scope with a good light is very useable.

Look at Entomological suppliers for microscopes as well.

Thanks for the reply, Harvestman. Much appreciated.

Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have just called on plant ecologists because, of course, ecologists of all sorts at the higher levels use statistics and formulas.

Thanks for the microscope info, very helpful indeed.

I may PM you soon.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am a retired Botany professor with a professional and personal interest in plant anatomy from maybe 45 years.
Some sort of stereoscopic dissecting microscope (10X - 30X) will take care of broader anatomical issues related to identification.
Some sort of transmitted light microscope, 10X - 40X objectives (into 10X oculars) will do you for a lifetime of plant anatomy.

An interesting possible source might be a local school/college, in the throes of upgrading microscopes. The gears are sloppy but, for us, who cares?
They can be convinced to sell off their worn out 'scopes to aid in bank-rolling better microscopes.

What we do transcends any boundaries. If there are any questions you might have, I'm right here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE