What are you growing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Can't believe we don't have a thread for this! So here's my little front garden setup:

WP_20200527_001.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic by the way. The only angle I can get is from the front room window! In the two wooden planters I have potatoes, the left bed has 3 rows of onions, and a row of potatoes, the top right bed is rammed with strawberries, the lower right bed has leeks, a courgette (in the middle of the leeks) and a couple of sweetcorn, plus two rows of potatoes, then I have two bucket planters with.... more potatoes! I'm going big on potatoes this year if you haven't guessed.

I'm really looking forward to a big crop of strawberries this year, they are heavily laden, I just need to be vigilant with the birds and slugs! Any tips for that???

How are you all getting on with your patches?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have been working like a trogan to get my bit of garden sorted.
I have potatoes
Gooseberries
Redcurrant
Blackcurrant ... All in pots
Then I have
Haricot beans
Runner beans
Peas
Kale.... in the top bed against the backdrop fence.
Then in the raised beds on the back lawn we have
Haricot beans
Shallots
Sweetcorn
Broad beans
Radishes are intercroping.
Bottom bed has
Rocket
Borlotti beans
Beetroot
Rainbow chard
More intercropping radishes.
To go in
Butternut squash
Kale
Brussels sprouts.
Lettuce is in pots too. A cut and come again variety.
Oh I nearly forgot baby tomatoes in a hanging basket, and two courgettes have been squeezed into the wild strawberry area.
Is that going to be enough do you think? :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I forgot the damson and apple trees and the herb pots in which I have sage parsley and thyme and fennel and of course and some mints and marjoram.
Just added a pot of lavender to that little lot.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We have the permanent things such as fruit trees and bushes. Then we have the regulars such as beans, mange tout, beetroot, garlic, salad or various kinds. Ever since British Red recommended them I've put in early nantes carrots: they are growing intermixed with coriander. The artichoke plant is doing well but I think it does not provide enough to justify the space it takes up. We normally arrive in France in time for the artichoke season, but not this year so it has had a reprieve.

The upside of lockdown is that I'm spending a lot of time in the vegetable garden watering, weeding and tending. Normally, the vegetable s are left to fend for themselves over the summer and I return to successful weeds and failed veg. As we are going to look after them, my neighbour has given me some of the tomato plants and has carefully nurtured. She hasn't done this since the time I let her gift of plants wither and die.

Another bonus is spending much more time on the homestead forum picking up tips from you lot.

The main part of the garden where Madame wastes space by growing thing you can't eat is as beautiful as it always is, but she pays someone who knows what he is doing to come in for a couple of hours every fortnight to keep it in order whether we are there or not

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
When lockdown started, we were worried about food, so i planted a hopelessly inadequate number of peas and broad beans. They compliment last years spring onions that I didn't pick and some onions. Both of which have gone to flower and look great. We also have a few chilli's, a ton of herbs and raspberries on the way.

Oh yeah, sunflowers!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Not being very good with vegetables, I've got new lavenders and rosemary bushes planted in a dry, sunny raised border; sage, oregano and more lavender and rosemary in big pots and some various other herbs on the go. That, my tiny tea plants and the raspberries are enough to keep me happy in the garden.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hmm let me see...

In the fruit cage:
Raspberries
Blackberries
Blackcurrants
Peas (Jaguar)
Mangetout
Parsnips
French beans
Garlic
Lettuce
Beetroot
Onions
Shallots
Carrots

In pots in the garden:
Thyme
Lavender
Rosemary
Purple sage
French tarragon
Greek oregano
Potatoes
Tomatoes x2 varieties

In the greenhouse:
Tomatoes x6 varieties
Chillies
Peppers
Mini cucumbers - eating them already! :)

In the ‘wild’ garden:
Redcurrants
Ramsons (gone over now)
Fennel

In pots on the kitchen window:
Basil
Radishes

We don’t grow huge amounts, and not everything comes up as good as we’d like, but the variety is great to eat. Locally grown spuds are such good value that we only grow a couple of potato bag’s worth here.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm having problems with my beetroot. They are just not germinating properly and those that did got slugged!
I'll let give the replanted a week or so more then I'll have to try with a different packet if I can get them.
It's realy annoying. :(

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Just this ... no, not a cider plant !

image.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm having problems with my beetroot. They are just not germinating properly and those that did got slugged!
I'll let give the replanted a week or so more then I'll have to try with a different packet if I can get them.

Mine too. And I payed extra for seed tape so I could just tear a strip off and bury it. I’ve got one survivor out of about 3’ of tape.

Radish
Globe Artichokes
Beetroot ?
Bush tomatoes in growbags
Cut and come again salad in growbags
Lettuce going mad in growbags
Peas in growbags. (An experiment, I don’t know how they’re going to do long term)
Rosemary, Marjoram, Sage, and Chives are all rampant too.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Us too. Not many beetroot or carrot have come up this year. Slugs aren’t a big problem for us as our neighbour’s guinea fowl eat them up while foraging in our garden :) :). We usually start some backup pots of root veg in the greenhouse at the same time we sow in the ground, so it looks like they will have to go into the ground this year, rather than giving them to the neighbours.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've been doing some research and some plants do not germinate well in hIgh temperatures. My garden is very hot. 25° in the shade today. 35 ° out of it! Wonder if that is the problem?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You can never have enough herbs!
Suggest
CHIVES... brilliant in a potato salad
SAGE. .. deep fried sage leaves are an experience.
PARSLEY. ...good with almost everything.
ROSEMARY. ...a must for foccatia and roasts.
THYME.... stuffings and stews.
Then of course there are the medical benefits of many herbs.
Sage makes a good gargle for sore throats and has disinfectant properties as do many other herbs for instance.
Lavender has many uses and is for me a nessasary herb for anti moth satchets, and can be used in cooking too. Makes the place smell wonderful infused into water in a spray bottle spritzed around.
Herbs are a fascinating subject as well as a tasty addition to food.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bury the thermometer over night. What does that say? Air temp is only a threat with frost and possibly 40C+

Make your own pasta from scratch. When you get a strip rolled about the thickness of a beer mat,
lay it out on the bench and put chopped herbs on half of it.
Next, fold the plain half back over that.
Run that through the pasta machine 4X and cut it up, say, linguini. = Stained Glass Pasta
with fresh herbs rolled right into it. Care for sage pasta with roast chicken?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE