What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Ancient Trackways of Wessex
An account of the ancient trackways across the area known as Wessex, the old kingdom of the West Saxons, once ruled by King Alfred the Great: roughly speaking, Berkshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset and Somerset as well as parts of Devon, Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds.With Salisbury Plain at its centre, the chalk hills and downs of southern England radiate out in all directions, and the ridgeways provided natural routes from one place to another, along which the early inhabitants of Britain travelled.

Attachments

• IMG_8636.jpeg
    IMG_8636.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8638.jpeg
    IMG_8638.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 5

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’ve just started Rifles, Six Years With Wellingtons Legendary Sharpshooters by Mark Urban. So far very good reading.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just starting The Odyssey by Homer, promises to be a challenging read.

71RZuClkzaL._SL1200_.jpg

Reactions: CLEM and TeeDee

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You might have prompted me to pick it up again. You are right, both plot and language (in the classical English translation) are to say the least, convoluted)
We “did” it and the sequel at school which destroys any literature.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
School ruined Shakspeare for me, I reckon. Can just never get on with it. Repeatedly being told to like it "because it is good!".
The thing is, some of Shakespeare is without question at the genius level, but the vast majority is pretty average, or worse. I think that the 'Shakespeare Worship' we see is down to two things.

Firstly, because there wasn't a vast amount of stuff at the time and not all of what there was has survived, so the residual stuff has more status / value than might otherwise be the case.

Secondly, and in vein with what you have written, it's the Emperor's-new-clothes syndrome; and, like modern art, people accept it as being 'good' because they have been told it is and don't want to be classed as someone unable to see that.

Baa...

Reactions: Pattree

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
School ruined Shakspeare for me, I reckon. Can just never get on with it. Repeatedly being told to like it "because it is good!".
Ahhh...! I get your point. At school I was interested in Shakespeare (from a story line POV) but the enforced academia that came along with it bored me to tears..... now I'm much older, I still like Shakespeare but it's the sonnets that I like not the plays.

Reactions: Broch

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I still like Shakespeare but it's the sonnets that I like not the plays.
Totally agree!!!
The stories are mostly rubbish and obviously politically biased.
The typically Shakespearean trope continues to this day. Antonio fails to recognise his girlfriend in The Merchant of Venice and a pair of specs is enough to disguise Superman from his.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just starting The Odyssey by Homer, promises to be a challenging read.

71RZuClkzaL._SL1200_.jpg
You should get the version published by Loeb. They do ancient Greek one side and a decent translation on the facing page. I used a library one of that and Thucydides histories to get through my ancient Greek GCSE. Got a C without much revision because I kind of mostly memorised the English translation to the Greek original without really learning the language.

I think the Loeb translation is better than in penguin personally.

Shakespeare is poorly taught. If your teachers and the syllabus basically treats it as the greatest work of literature then you're not being honest and able to be critical. That's how I was taught it, in a good school too. I didn't enjoy it and as such I don't rate his stuff, especially the propaganda stuff. Mind you a mate found a good used for his collected works. Together with his old, full size copy of Oxford English dictionary he used ti stuff his rucksack and go running in the lakes to keep fit. He figured the extra weight over his normal backpack would make his normal trips easier.

Reactions: CLEM and GNJC

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
You should get the version published by Loeb. They do ancient Greek one side and a decent translation on the facing page. I used a library one of that and Thucydides histories to get through my ancient Greek GCSE. Got a C without much revision because I kind of mostly memorised the English translation to the Greek original without really learning the language.

I think the Loeb translation is better than in penguin personally.

Shakespeare is poorly taught. If your teachers and the syllabus basically treats it as the greatest work of literature then you're not being honest and able to be critical. That's how I was taught it, in a good school too. I didn't enjoy it and as such I don't rate his stuff, especially the propaganda stuff. Mind you a mate found a good used for his collected works. Together with his old, full size copy of Oxford English dictionary he used ti stuff his rucksack and go running in the lakes to keep fit. He figured the extra weight over his normal backpack would make his normal trips easier.
Yep, I have the Thucydides, very good versions.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I studied it when I was doing classics.

Its great fun but Odysseus doesnt half get exploited by women.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE