What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I've just started "Brazilian Adventure" by Peter Fleming, Ian's brother. It is beautifully written with a healthy dose of Waugh-like humour.

Simultaneously (because it's something I always do...), I am enjoying "The Philosophy of an Explorer" by Erling Kagge. This is a series of essays that reminds one of the important little details that will make your wilderness experience safer and more fulfilling. Again, it is beautifully written (translated!) and fascinating in its scope.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
'Eastern Approaches' by Fitzroy Maclean; a fascinating insight into early Soviet Russia, the British effort in North Africa in WW2 - including early SF - and the war in Yugoslavia. Well written with good humour and very intelligent observations and analysis.

Reactions: nigelp and TeeDee

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Just started on George Sturt's 'A Small boy in the Sixties' (meaning the 1860s), having already read other memoirs by him. I'm not expecting anything revelatory, but he gives a fair insight to a lower middle class family of the time. He also offers commentary on the people about him, urban and rural and, since I like social history, I find it interesting.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Trying Nicholas Crane's "Two Degrees West". Was hoping for a pull-you-in narrative befitting a journey, but he opted for rather a disjointed style that smacks more of a series of filler pieces from the latter end of regional news programmes. Just can't get into it because he keeps throwing me out. Shame, because it was a premiss of promise, but I will persevere.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
“I Talk To Much”
Bio of Francis Rossi, Front man of Quo.

I don’t usually do biographies but this turned up on a lucky dip Christmas stall but -well I was a Quo fan in my post adolescence.
His son sings opera professionally. We’ll see how it goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE