What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
How to build your own house for £99,000 or less by Justin Tyers signed copy.
Very comprehensive and interesting , covering everything you could think of.

Reactions: gibson 175
Oct 18, 2023
Cornwall
Just finished the invincible by Stanislaw Lem, great book that kept me reading on and just under half way through the stand by Stephen King

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
This is right off topic, but the recent Netflix documentary about blue zones is interesting and worth a watch. Here’s a link to Bluezones:

This is also off topic however have you seen the story about the McDonalds opened on Okinawa? Apprently it might cost them there blue zone status due to the effect of people eating there.
One of the most interesting things is they make a big deal about diet however it also about Community.

• Wow
Reactions: Nice65

jeggs

Oct 9, 2023
london/devon
Current reading;
How to read water, clues and patterns from puddles to the sea by Tristan Gooley - ISBN 978-1-473-61522-9
&
An Herbalists Guide to Formulary by Holly Bellebuono - ISBN 978-0-7387-5303-4

Recently finished Entagled Life...a most informative read

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A World of Insects.

612KQXd6xaL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Tony

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Ooo! Now that's a good book.
Not read that for yonks.
Although I prefer Orwell, it has to be said that Huxley's vision of the future was more accurate than Orwell's. Both agreed that control of information was the way of the future, but Orwell thought it would be by restricting information whilst Huxley correctly guessed it would be by information overload.
Yes, a very good book.

I've just finished re-reading Kafka's 'Metamorphosis'. I'm sure we have all woken up in morning feeling like we have transformed in a revolting insect and just want to hide away. Love Kafka as well.

Reactions: CLEM

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ooo! Now that's a good book.
Not read that for yonks.
Although I prefer Orwell, it has to be said that Huxley's vision of the future was more accurate than Orwell's. Both agreed that control of information was the way of the future, but Orwell thought it would be by restricting information whilst Huxley correctly guessed it would be by information overload.
Yes, a very good book.

I've just finished re-reading Kafka's 'Metamorphosis'. I'm sure we have all woken up in morning feeling like we have transformed in a revolting insect and just want to hide away. Love Kafka as well.

Wasn't the general gist more of changing 'allowed' information as opposed to restricting it?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Erm...yes, I suppose in 1984 that was the case.
Although I'm also not sure what difference that makes since the effect is just the same - restricting access to 'The Truth'.
Also, in 1984, there is the creation of Newspeak, which purposefully limits language to restrict thought and expression.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Erm...yes, I suppose in 1984 that was the case.
Although I'm also not sure what difference that makes since the effect is just the same - restricting access to 'The Truth'.
Also, in 1984, there is the creation of Newspeak, which purposefully limits language to restrict thought and expression.

I guess I'm making a slight maybe subtle distinction between restricting information as opposed to changing the facts of a thing.

More Fahrenheit 451esque Vs 2+2=5 1984 Newspeak.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE